Lizard

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 22/07/2016 - 12:59
Made a trip down to the Lizard, Cornwall earlier in the year to visit a number of places that I used to go to as a kid... hadn't been back for 30 odd years or so... a rather happy trip down memory lane... All K3/K3 II, DA 12-24 and 55-300...

Thoughts, comments, observations very welcome as ever...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Northgrain

Link Posted 22/07/2016 - 14:18
Having seen a common lizard out on the moors on this mornings dog walk, I misunderstood your title

Real quality here Bill, and a tremendously varied set. Such a treat you post your work like this

I'll be returning to this thread, no doubt, to absorb with a little more leisure, but immediate reactions are that the last three are really special. 8 is an outstanding abstract, great sense of power. 9 is a beautiful composition with excellent choice of shutter speed to get that sense of wash in the water and terrific processing to get the dark, brooding atmosphere in the rock walls. 10 - love this. Wonderful,deep colour in the sea and fascinating shapes of the land. I did wonder what it would look like with a more panoramic crop, but you'd lose some of the sky then. Wallhangers all.
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

McGregNi

Link Posted 23/07/2016 - 02:26
Nos 6 and 9 for me, they make the best use of what little light there was, with some contrast and splashes of brightness bringing things to live.

It was difficult conditions to shoot in, with the light in the wrong places for some, but you've worked the area well, and no doubt you can return with similar strong compositions in different light conditions.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

redbusa99

Link Posted 23/07/2016 - 15:03
lovely set Bill, 2 looks like a macro of some weird lichen, like it. 9 is good, really like the sweeping line of the sea . i know Cornish light is not always perfect so you do what you can and you did pretty well. 10 is my favourite as it is so calm and yet at the same time so full of apparent turbulence with the movement in the ocean and sky.
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr
Last Edited by redbusa99 on 23/07/2016 - 15:05

autumnlight

Link Posted 24/07/2016 - 17:01
Excellent standard of work that's the norm for you, a beautiful place to reminisce , my Son and his girlfriend are there at the mo. if i was forced to pick out a special it would be No. 3 with it's wonderful composition and dreamy atmosphere.
Kind regards Maria

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maria-Gray-photography/589310071158079?ref=hl

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 25/07/2016 - 21:18
Thanks Tim, Nigel, Joe and Maria for your all your thoughts and observations re these... much appreciated my end...

Tim, thanks vmuch for cropping suggestion on 10... hadn't thought of that (often don't think of the cropping thing actually), and you might well be right... will def have a look...

Nigel, yes, good point... know what you mean about the light... it wasn't super spectacular that's for sure... but it was rather beautiful in it's own quiet way... I might well go back next year at some point and see what else it might offer up...

Joe, well spotted, no 2 does have a fair amount of lichen in it... an ICM of a shady moss covered stream...

Maria, no 3 was one of those occasions when it felt like it was very beautiful indeed at the time, but I couldn't initially quite work out how best to express what was going on... ended up using a longer exposure so that the sea mirrored both the colour of the sky, and the old hotel (now a nursing home) on the point... hope your son and his girlfriend have a top trip...

Thanks and best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

RobL

Link Posted 25/07/2016 - 23:24
Whenever I think of the Lizard I just think of Ann's pasties, they are pure heaven straight out of the oven. Mmmm....Oh I almost forgot, great images, love them all!

redbusa99

Link Posted 26/07/2016 - 01:28
and the Regent cafe

Flickr

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 26/07/2016 - 19:24
Thanks guys... Excellent... Don't know either of these, so looking forward to some hands on research...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

redbusa99

Link Posted 26/07/2016 - 21:24
both in Lizard village Bill, Regent cafe on the left opposite the parking area and the pasties first left past the cafe. nothing precooked in the cafe only done when you order, believe the one sign they have is along the lines "the more hurried we are the slower we go", in other words if you are in a rush find somewhere else but they are always busy and a very friendly place.

Flickr

Darkmunk

Link Posted 27/07/2016 - 12:12
Lovely set.
Really like 6 and 10. One of my favourite places
6 has a lovely painterly quality.
Here's the same place in a storm

Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 27/07/2016 - 16:46
Thanks Mark... great shot... looks pretty brutal... yes, look forward to some more winter weather next time I'm down...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.