Live view macro trial

derek897

Link Posted 11/06/2017 - 20:20
Following on from Harris's suggestion, I managed to get out and try out live view for macro. Bit of mixed bag for me.
Critical focus was hard to ascertain as i had to hold the camera away from myself to pull the neck strap tight to aid in keeping steady. It was beneficial to get a decent view of my framing, and i can see that it would help with some subjects.
Jury is still out though until I get more practice.
As ever all handheld.

Here are a few.

IMGP3267edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

so close,

IMGP3271ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP3294ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Under a Leaf

IMGP3311edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Really small, Big crop

IMGP3317ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

IMGP3320edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Uncropped

IMGP3324ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr
I know what i like, If not always why.
Last Edited by derek897 on 11/06/2017 - 20:35

HarisF1

Link Posted 11/06/2017 - 20:58
If LV isn't so effective at nailing focus then there's no point using it. As you mentioned, you'll probably get more anchoring when you use the viewfinder so that would lead to steadier focusing.

Great pics though.

McGregNi

Link Posted 11/06/2017 - 21:00
Some amazing fluorescent greens there Derek!

I should think that LV might be better suited to tripod work... ? Certainly I think that if relying on Shake Reduction in LV that the magnifications involved can cause the SR system to really struggle. I definitely agree that a magnified LV for focussing for tripod work would be great, as it is for landscapes as well, but I imagine would be fairly hair-raising for close up work if needing SR.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

alfpics

Link Posted 12/06/2017 - 09:14
McGregNi wrote:
Some amazing fluorescent greens there Derek!

Agreed! I find these wonderful. I know this is not the point of your posting concerning use of LV, but this makes me realise I probably need to get into using flash for such close-ups as I don't think I ever completely stop movement when using natural light and a tripod (ie long-ish exposures)
Andy

derek897

Link Posted 12/06/2017 - 12:02
I haven't ruled it out completely yet Harris, there's still some work to be done.
I have had to google how to zoom the live view focus on a k3ii, as i couldn't work it out. I have to try that next as i didn't know how when taking these.
Nigel, my gut tells me that you are probably correct about lv and tripod use, just want to test it to my limits.
Andy, I have found that the use of the flash has really improved my macro shooting from when I started.
Better colours, more detail, it has had its drawbacks too though, mainly size of diffuser, but thats down to me as i made it
Will try some zoomed focus shots and let you know how I get on.

derek897

Link Posted 12/06/2017 - 18:36
A quick update. Zoomed LV is not for me. If I thought it was wobbly before, it was all over the place when zoomed in.
Lost the bugs every time. Will keep trying LV to see if my technique improves but it will be viewfinder as my preferred method.
Cheers
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.