Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Limited Conundrum...

jules
Posted 28/10/2010 - 13:51 Link
First let me say that I love my Limiteds but I have increasingly become frustrated with my 43 and 77 Ltd Lenses, nothing wrong with them optically at all! Quite the reverse in fact! They are amongst the best I've ever had and that includes 25Yrs shooting Nikon!
It's the quickshift or rather the lack of it. I also own the 15 and the 21mm and find that when I'm landscaping I like to use Manual Focus sometimes. however I'm approaching fifty I'm having senior moments and keep on forgetting to move the Focus lever back to AF on my K7 when using the 43 and 77 and it only happens of course when the next shot appears in a hurry doesn't it?
So apart from F1.8/1.9 what would I miss if I sold them on and got hold two of either the 35mm F2.8 DA Macro/40mm F2.8 DA or 70mm F2.4 DA/100mm F2.8 DFA WR Macro. I'm not much of a portrait shooter and don't think I'll miss the fast apertures, also I've a K5 coming so probably won't mind low light with the DA's either.
Also I must admit buying them with one eye on "Full Frame" (Hate that term) but then I feel that if Pentax ever did produce such a beastie then they'd eventually stump up a few nice new SDM Primes to go with it?
Anyway back on my topic, what do you guys think?

Cheers Jules...
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Edited by jules: 28/10/2010 - 13:52
johnriley
Posted 28/10/2010 - 13:54 Link
I think Quick Shift is a superb feature and I miss it on any lens that doesn't have it.
Best regards, John
MrCynical
Posted 28/10/2010 - 14:09 Link
Apart from the speed, not much. FA lenses generally have PF problems when used on Pentax DSLRs - see e.g. this thread on the other forum for the FA35 - and the FA77 is particularly prone to this. In fact, the purple fringing (along with quickshift and cost) are making me rethink my long-held desire for an FA77, in favour of the DA70.

The one issue which you should be aware of is the differences in focusing between the DA35 Macro and the FA43. Obviously macro lenses can be ponderous if they decide to hunt, but as far as I'm aware the FA Limiteds aren't exactly speed demons either. The difference I want to highlight is in how the focusing range is distributed: the DA35 Macro has only a very slight turn from 2 feet to infinity, so I don't imagine MF would be much fun in non-macro situations. Also (and unusually - uniquely? - for a quickshift lens) the DA35 Macro's focusing ring turns during AF operation, so you need to find something else to hold when AF is on!

As far as hypothetical 'full frame' goes, the DA70 can be used on film cameras without vignetting whereas the DA35 Macro cannot. If full frame digital (or film) concern you then perhaps either the new DA 35 f2.4 or the DA 40 f2.8 would be more suitable: both of these give full-frame coverage.

Do you want your new kit to have a macro capability? If so then I wouldn't rely on the DA 35 Macro - in my (limited*) experience the working distance is simply too short for 1:1 (great for indoor 'closeups' though). If you envisage doing a lot of 1:1 flower shots (etc.) then the DFA 100 should be top of your list.

*pun unintended
Edited by MrCynical: 28/10/2010 - 14:14
hefty1
Posted 28/10/2010 - 14:34 Link
I miss Quickshift on my 43 and 77 lenses so I sympathise with your position. Still don't think I'll be in any rush to swap them for the DA equivalents just yet, although the DA35 Macro is easily in the same league optically imo (hence me never actually buying a FA31).
Joining the Q
womble
Posted 28/10/2010 - 15:07 Link
I'll admit to mainly using my 43mm Ltd on my LX so the lack of quickshift is not a problem, and the 43mm is a dream to focus.

Doesn't help much really...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
jules
Posted 28/10/2010 - 15:26 Link
My K5 just arrived!
Guess that makes me a Pussie!
I like the 35 Macro but not for it's Macro ability, more for the sheer enthusiasm in which it is regarded around here! I'm back with Pentax after 25 Yrs so Basically any AF Lens I try you can pretty much say it'll be the first time! I bought the 43 and 77 as I say with an eye on FF but more for the high regard they are held in by members of the Forum, I love the colour rendition and the beautiful Sharpness, do I get the same with the 40/70/100? I'm leaning away from the 35 Macro as I have the 21mm and thinking more of the 40 for better balance in my setup if I spring for a 100 Macro. The thinking is if I sway away from the 70mm and Get the new Macro then the 35 would kinda be redundant anyway and for some reason 40-100mm seems a lot less than 35-100mm
Cheers Jules...
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Edited by jules: 28/10/2010 - 15:28
Don
Posted 28/10/2010 - 15:32 Link
hefty1 wrote:
I miss Quickshift on my 43 and 77 lenses so I sympathise with your position. Still don't think I'll be in any rush to swap them for the DA equivalents just yet, although the DA35 Macro is easily in the same league optically imo (hence me never actually buying a FA31).

I'm considering the 35 macro as well. I want a decent prime in the 21 to 35 mm range, and the macro seems to be worth the money.... but Gerri likes to use af, and I worry that if she got the 35 macro on during a wedding shoot in low light the hunting for focus will be a problem for her... yet I know the 31 ltd price will definitely be a problem for her.....

See why sleeping with your boss can have adverse effects on your job?
I can't exactly fire her and hire somebody that has better eyesight and tell them to use manual focus....
I can't just go out and buy a 31 ltd and send in a reciept....
and I'm having no luck finding a decent used copy of a 28 or 35.....

my only hope is that the new 35 performs....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Anvh
Posted 28/10/2010 - 20:34 Link
johnriley wrote:
I think Quick Shift is a superb feature and I miss it on any lens that doesn't have it.

Same here.

I almost use manual focus constantly but sometimes for when you need to get focus fast i'll use the AF, since those moments happen very fast you don't have time to switch from MF to AF.
I've my camera setup so that AF is only on/working when i pres the AF button and not the shutter, that way i can have MF and AF at the same time if the lens has quickshift.

About primes.
Pentax only has now one fast prime if we don't count the fa limited and that's the DA*55 f/1.4
I really think they should produce some more fast primes.
DA*30 f/1.4 is still on my wanting list and maybe a fast prime 90mm.
90mm sounds strange but that has the equivalent as 135mm on 135format.
If they can make a DA*90mm f/2 i would be very happy
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 28/10/2010 - 20:35
hefty1
Posted 28/10/2010 - 20:38 Link
Don wrote:
hefty1 wrote:

I'm considering the 35 macro as well. I want a decent prime in the 21 to 35 mm range, and the macro seems to be worth the money.... but Gerri likes to use af, and I worry that if she got the 35 macro on during a wedding shoot in low light the hunting for focus will be a problem for her... yet I know the 31 ltd price will definitely be a problem for her.....

Just buy one - you'll both love it!

And mine doesn't hunt anything like as much as my D-FA100. It's not perfect but it's pretty good considering the range it has to cover. AF is generally quick as it's quite a small lens physically (less glass for the camera to push back-and-forth).

I'm sure the new DAL35 will be excellent too, and cheaper and faster. I also reckon the DA35 Macro will be better and more versatile though...
Joining the Q
Ben76
Posted 28/10/2010 - 21:21 Link
hefty1 wrote:
Don wrote:
Quote:

Just buy one - you'll both love it!

And mine doesn't hunt anything like as much as my D-FA100. It's not perfect but it's pretty good considering the range it has to cover. AF is generally quick as it's quite a small lens physically (less glass for the camera to push back-and-forth).

I'm sure the new DAL35 will be excellent too, and cheaper and faster. I also reckon the DA35 Macro will be better and more versatile though...

Hello, how versatile is the DA35 Macro? Does it perform well when used for landscapes for example?
hefty1
Posted 28/10/2010 - 21:59 Link
Ben76 wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="hefty1"]Hello, how versatile is the DA35 Macro? Does it perform well when used for landscapes for example?

Yes, very well indeed. In fact I've yet to find a subject it doesn't do well (although probably not the lens you'd choose for birds and wildlife).

A lot of people seem to think that because it's a macro lens then it'll only work well at close distances, however, mine's virtually stuck to the camera and gets used for pretty much everything. It really is quite superb regardless of what I point it at.
Joining the Q
Anvh
Posted 28/10/2010 - 22:07 Link
Anvh wrote:
maybe a fast prime 90mm.
90mm sounds strange but that has the equivalent as 135mm on 135format.
If they can make a DA*90mm f/2 i would be very happy

Actually.
There are 85mm f/1.4 so 90mm f/1.4 shouldn't be a problem either...
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
pentaxian450
Posted 29/10/2010 - 00:05 Link
On the FA Ltd, when I need to shift focus manually for one shot, I just push and hold the lens release button while I move the focus ring. I've been doing that for a few years, and never had a lens accidentally come off the camera.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
i-Berg
Posted 29/10/2010 - 02:51 Link
Jules, the DA40 is a very good lens, and just so small.

However, in my view, the DA70 is even better.

They're both keepers though.
rparmar
Posted 29/10/2010 - 04:21 Link
If you swap out the FA43 and FA77 what you'll be missing are two of the three best reasons to own Pentax. These lenses render like no other, not to mention the stop of light you'll be losing.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.