Lightroom 5 released


Smeggypants

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 03:08
Lightroom 5 released

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/10/adobe-lightroom-5



.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

japers45

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 05:50
does anybody know if I can upgrade from V3 to 5 or do I have to have v4 first?

Smeggypants

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 07:07
No idea, but I'm sticking with LR4 for now. LR4 is much better than LR3, the processing yields much better results.

OTOH the changes from LR4 to LR5 are minimal in comparison. IMO LR5 should really be LR4.5

I'd highly recommend upgrading to LR4
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Hullman

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 07:16
You can upgrade from any version of Lightroom to v5 for 50. Would definitely go for 5, I've been using the beta since it came out and find a use the new radial graduated filter so often it's very frustrating going back to 4.
FF: Pentax K-1, D-FA* 70-200, D-FA 24-70, D-FA 100, D-FA 28-105, FA 77, FA 43
APSC: K3, K5, DA*50-135, DA*300, Sigma 17-50, Sigma 10-20, 18-55mm, DA 55-300mm, DA35, 1.4TC
4/3: Q10, Q, 01, 02, 06
Fuji XT1, XF18-55, XF27

Smeggypants

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 16:19
Hullman wrote:
You can upgrade from any version of Lightroom to v5 for 50. Would definitely go for 5, I've been using the beta since it came out and find a use the new radial graduated filter so often it's very frustrating going back to 4.

What are you using it on? I use the adjustment brush to highlight stuff, but it's rarely of a circular or elliptical shape.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Hullman

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 19:18
Smeggypants wrote:
Hullman wrote:
You can upgrade from any version of Lightroom to v5 for 50. Would definitely go for 5, I've been using the beta since it came out and find a use the new radial graduated filter so often it's very frustrating going back to 4.

What are you using it on? I use the adjustment brush to highlight stuff, but it's rarely of a circular or elliptical shape.

It's really useful for bringing up exposure and/or sharpness in general areas of your images and since it's graduated you don't tend to notice the edges of the adjustment as much. For example in the image below I have two. One is positioned exactly on the iris of his eye with contrast, exposure and sharpness pushed a little and then another ellipse type shape over the general area of the eye towards his beak to raise the exposure a little to bring out the detail:



FF: Pentax K-1, D-FA* 70-200, D-FA 24-70, D-FA 100, D-FA 28-105, FA 77, FA 43
APSC: K3, K5, DA*50-135, DA*300, Sigma 17-50, Sigma 10-20, 18-55mm, DA 55-300mm, DA35, 1.4TC
4/3: Q10, Q, 01, 02, 06
Fuji XT1, XF18-55, XF27

Smeggypants

Link Posted 11/06/2013 - 21:13
Cheers.

Those are both appliactions I'd use the brish for.

Btw - I use an add on called Paddy, which allows you to call up Brush Presets with stored brush sizes and feathering. Very handy and saves loads of time.

It also allows key commands for dev presets and much other stuff too
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

MarkTaylor

Link Posted 12/06/2013 - 14:27
The advertising blurb for 5 mentions 'tighter integration with photoshop' - my concern with this is: do you lose any functionality (comparted to Lightroom 4) if you don't have photoshop (I don't)? Anyone here know the answer for certain?

Corporate speak like that sets off alarm bells for me - it wouldn't be the first time a software company dressed up a downgrade to look like an upgrade...
My Flickr Pentax K-5 K-5 II Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2

bforbes

Link Posted 12/06/2013 - 18:38
I'm on the trial version of LR5 and so far I can't find anything missing that was in LR4. I think the clone/ healing brush is more akin to Elements/Photoshop, if that's what they mean by integration
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Last Edited by bforbes on 12/06/2013 - 18:40

Smeggypants

Link Posted 12/06/2013 - 19:51
MarkTaylor wrote:
The advertising blurb for 5 mentions 'tighter integration with photoshop' - my concern with this is: do you lose any functionality (comparted to Lightroom 4) if you don't have photoshop (I don't)? Anyone here know the answer for certain?

Corporate speak like that sets off alarm bells for me - it wouldn't be the first time a software company dressed up a downgrade to look like an upgrade...

No. I've been trying out the LR5 beta and also found nothing missing.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

MarkTaylor

Link Posted 13/06/2013 - 08:32
Smeggypants wrote:
No. I've been trying out the LR5 beta and also found nothing missing.

Thanks!
My Flickr Pentax K-5 K-5 II Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2

MarkTaylor

Link Posted 13/06/2013 - 08:34
bforbes wrote:
I'm on the trial version of LR5 and so far I can't find anything missing that was in LR4. I think the clone/ healing brush is more akin to Elements/Photoshop, if that's what they mean by integration

Thanks also!
My Flickr Pentax K-5 K-5 II Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.