Lesson learned

MrMuz

Link Posted 15/08/2007 - 11:26
I bought a K10D off ebay about 2 months ago, as posted in an early thread it developed a fault with the e dials. I took the camera to Pentax's head office but they told me as it was bought from emilyandlily that I would have to take up any issues directly with them.

I sent the camera out with a courier only to hear a week later that it hadn't been delivered. I got the camera back off the courier and drove to Swansea from Swindon to drop it off to the returns depot myself. I could see shiny new K10s in the warehouse, but I wasn't allowed to take one, oh no. That wasn't correct protocol. So two days later I received a nice new camera, only problem is it's a K100D.

I'm going on holiday this Saturday for 2 weeks, and I'm now faced with the very real possibility of only having a compact. I'm absolutely gutted. The reason I bought off ebay is that they were the first place to have the K10D with kit 18-55 for sub £500.00. About a month before everyone else. Return trip to Swansea in my thirsty car, £35.00. Assuming I have to go again by the end of the week that's £70.00 plus the 8 hours in the car. This means I've actually only saved £30.00 off the high street price, but I've lost local customer support and a Pentax UK warranty. I think the moral of this story is obvious, I hope someone looking to buy Pentax can learn from my mistake!

Clarky

Link Posted 15/08/2007 - 11:44
Why do you have to take a compact if you have the K100D
You won't be losing much in the way of quality between the K10 and the K100D 10mega pix compared too 6mega pix.
But i still don't understand how they can send you a 100d. Was it a mistake on thier part
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

LiamD

Link Posted 15/08/2007 - 13:59
Hi MrMuz,

Send it special delivery with Royal Mail..

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400028&mediaId=400026

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas

MrMuz

Link Posted 15/08/2007 - 19:30
Clarky wrote:
Why do you have to take a compact if you have the K100D
You won't be losing much in the way of quality between the K10 and the K100D 10mega pix compared too 6mega pix.
But i still don't understand how they can send you a 100d. Was it a mistake on thier part

The thought had crossed my mind but I don't think they'd exchange a soiled K100D! I don't get how they can send the wrong camera, pay peanuts get monkeys I guess. I managed to speak to them again this evening, I offered to return the camera if they let me drive away with a K10D. They won't let me because of company procedures! The world has indeed gone mad.

MrMuz

Link Posted 15/08/2007 - 19:31
LiamD wrote:
Hi MrMuz,

Send it special delivery with Royal Mail..

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400028&mediaId=400026

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Liam

Thanks LiamD. Think I've missed the boat on the courier option.

Clarky

Link Posted 16/08/2007 - 03:29
Oh i see now.
I thought they were letting you use the 100d until your K10 was repaired.
Well it was their error so call them and explain the situation they may allow you too use the 100d for your holiday snaps.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

Fuzzfeast

Link Posted 16/08/2007 - 16:38
Problems. I know them. My DL2 was faulty after 4 months, strange spider’s web-like fibres under the LCD screen. I posted a message about it a while ago. I returned it to Jessops and asked if I could change it for another. We haven’t got any in stock, they said, so off it went for repair with a request from Jessops to replace. That did not happen; instead I got the original camera back which I used on two holidays and another this year when there was an internal electrical burn-out three days into my two week trip. It stopped working - the LCD screen would come on when switched on but it faded out immediately, and it didn’t take pictures. I wanted something asap but not an Optio-type so I bought a K100D for about £300 and sent the DL2 off when I got home. It was “repaired” and sent back, only when I put the batteries in and fitted a lens the LCD screen was blank. This meant I couldn’t change any settings even though it was now taking pictures again. It’s now been sent for repair number three but I wish I’d said no to the first repair and insisted on a new one when it first went wrong because this has really cost me £300 already in repairs, because I bought the K100D. I no longer trust the DL2 so if I get it back again it won’t go for a fourth repair and will be used at home only, and the K100D will be the one for taking on holiday and days out.

Mannesty

Link Posted 16/08/2007 - 16:43
It is your legal right to demand a new one. Enough is enough when it has to be repaired so many times in succession.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

MrMuz

Link Posted 03/09/2007 - 11:00
well I managed to get to Swansea in time, and I got some cracking photos on holiday. So every cloud and all that..

Fuzzfeast

Link Posted 08/10/2007 - 11:59
What do they do down there in Langley? I used the hopeless DL2 that has now been to Pentax three times for repair at the weekend and it broke down again. As usual the display screen packed up and it is unrepairable and in this condition I wouldn’t even be able to sell it. I even requested in my letter to Pentax the last time I sent it back: “Please can a repair technician contact me if a long term solution cannot be found. I would prefer it not to be returned if it is going to break down again because I would then consider it to be beyond repair.”

I hoped they might see the situation the same as me: it’s junk, not worth the cost of repairing it, customer has had serious misfortune in buying a dud, send a new replacement. But no, they give it another temporary repair which only breaks down again. Well this time the whole lot is going back, camera, manuals, connecting leads, everything, and if Citylink bring a parcel to me in the next two or three weeks the guy will have to wait while I look to see what is in it, and if it’s this thing again I will not accept it under any circumstances.

Mannesty

Link Posted 08/10/2007 - 15:11
Take a look at this .

Make sure you take it back to the store for a refund or replacement BEFORE it is 6 months old from the date of original purchase, with receipted proof of purchase. After 6 months the burdon of proof is on the consumer to prove that the goods were inherently faulty. Up to 6 months it's up to the supplier to prove that the goods were not faulty.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Fuzzfeast

Link Posted 08/10/2007 - 20:40
Thanks for the advice, I DID take it back to Jessops when it first got a fault, after four months, but they claimed to have none in stock. It was sent to Pentax and although Jessops asked on the despatch note if it could be replaced with a new camera, Pentax did a repair on the original, which turned out to be the first of three temporary repairs. I should have told Jessops to keep the original and get me a new one but the way they phrased the note led me to think I would get a new one anyway. I feel like Jessops have cheated me and in turn Pentax have cheated Jessops but I'm the only loser in all this. I'll see what I can get from Jessops but under no circumstances whatsoever is the camera going for another repair. If somebody asks for it then I'll send it but after what has happened there is no way it can be repaired to last for years. Minutes, maybe.

johnriley

Link Posted 08/10/2007 - 20:51
Any item has to be fit for purpose and it would seem your DL2 is not.

I would take it back to jessops, explain the history to the manager and ask for a replacement. Be courteous but firm in what you want.

At this stage just assume you will get satisfaction, which will improve your negotiating position. Confidence works wonders.

Good luck!
Best regards, John

Fuzzfeast

Link Posted 11/10/2007 - 13:49
I phoned the DTI number on Mannesty’s attachment and they said to write to Jessops giving them the history of my case and send it via recorded delivery, which I have. With the letter went copies of my receipts and VISA statement from when I bought the camera, and all the correspondence to and from Pentax. With three repairs already there was quite a bit, which shows how much of a problem this has all been so I am looking forward to their response. I have said that I would not consider the offer of a repair and return so hopefully they won’t even think about trying that one.

Kim C

Link Posted 11/10/2007 - 15:31
Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Kim
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.