Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Lenses query

Tim
Posted 22/06/2004 - 07:57 Link
I have just bought a pentax Mz-30 off a friend with 28 -80 lense and a 100 - 300 lense. I am looking to take long range costal shots. Does anyone have any sugestions about suitable lenses and filters. If anyone knows any websites with good prices that would also be appreciated.
cheers
Anonymous
Posted 24/06/2004 - 12:10 Link
tim you could try jessops and look in the secondhand section or try e bay some intresting stuff comes up on their
i was lucky enough to pick up a 135-600 f6.7 smc lens two years ago which is a monster of a lens which weighs in at 4kg
a lens you may want to consider i a sigma 170-500 which is nice and light small and compact ( but i borrowed one from jessops and put it against my monster and the sigma couldnt touch it )
other lenses you wish to concider are the older screw fit manuel stop down lenses from makers like soligor these lenses are very long have no auto aperature control but they are cheap and light
others you may concider are mirror lenses sigma do a 500 & 600 and pentax did a massive 2000 f13.5 if you can find one
tasco also do a spotting scope which if you unscerw the rear cover and screw on a t2 mount doubles up as a massive zoom lens which is available at jessops
Kim C
Posted 24/06/2004 - 12:29 Link
Hi Tim,
One thing to bear in mind when considering lenses is that yout MZ-30 has what many people refer to as a "crippled mount". This has removed some of the compatibility of the camera. Basically you will need to use lens which have an "A" setting. For the Pentax ones this limits you to the autofocus and the A series lenses. The older K and M lenses don't have the electrical contacts to give aperture information to the body and you won't be able to expose properly. This may also rule out many of the 2x multipliers. If you want long range shots, the best investment you could make would be a decent tripod. Other than that, play with what you have and experiment. This will give you a much betteridea of what you whta to expand. It is very easy to get a camera bag full of bits that you don't use!

Regards
Kim

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.