LENS TROUBLE ON ISTDS!

beginner
Posted 23/06/2006 - 12:23 Link
Hello fellow Pentax fanatics!,,,my Problem is I have just bought a second hand Tamron 200/500mm manual focus lens for my istds!....could someone please go through the stages of settings to get this thing to work!,,I am lost reading the hand book,,thanks!...Ken P
LiamD
Posted 23/06/2006 - 15:17 Link
Hi Ken, and welcome to the boards.

On the lens, set the aperture ring to "A", and the MF/AF switch to the right of the lens (when looking at the front) to MF.

There are other settings in the menu, but I'm at work, and this version of Acrobat is frankly rubbish, so I couldn't open the pdf file for the manual online..

I'm sure someone will know, otherwise I'll continue this at home in a couple of hours.

Cheers

Liam
Liam


"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Mannesty
Posted 23/06/2006 - 15:21 Link
We need a bit more info.

Does the lens have an 'A' setting on its aperture ring ?

If yes, set it to 'A' and use the lens normally in manual focus, setting aperture on the camera body.

If no 'A' setting, set the mode dial to Manual and use the DOF preview switch to turn on metering and facilitate exposure measurement/setting.

You can also use Aperture priority mode but the shot is always taken with the lens wide open.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
beginner
Posted 23/06/2006 - 20:41 Link
Thanks very much for your help,I'm getting there!,,,,,which is the dof preview switch?..will this allow the right shutter speed and aperture?,,,Thanks again!...Ken
LiamD
Posted 23/06/2006 - 20:50 Link
Hi,

the DOF switch is the (at least on the DL) the little lever around the shutter release button. Turn it clock wise and you'll see the image go darker in the viewfinder, along with hearing the lens stop down. Have a look at the top LCD panel while doing this and it will tell you the correct speed for the aperture youi have chosen.

Cheers

Liam
Liam


"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
beginner
Posted 23/06/2006 - 20:55 Link
Thanks Liam!,,,I'm ready to roll now!...Ken
LiamD
Posted 23/06/2006 - 21:04 Link
You're welcome Ken, post up an image or two once you've been out and about..

Cheers

Liam
Liam


"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo