Lens Selection Help!

DaveHolmes
Posted 27/03/2013 - 21:27 Link
bluenose82 wrote:


Do i buy one of the above...OR do i just keep on saving for the Holy Grail (50-135 DA*)?
Keep saving and get the lens you want... I have lots of lenses (and I like them all) but if I'd have waited and saved harder at the begining I'd have FA31, FA77 and maybe 2 or 3 other 'Ltd' or '*' lenses...

My advice would be to buy the most expensive first and then the others on your hitlist will at least 'seem' more attainable...

LBA is made worse by the compromises we make in the pursuit of the perfect 'kit' ... We compromise by buying better lenses than we have but we never seem to have enough for the best there is...
Only when our 'kit' is the best it can be can any faults in our photography be truly put down to our own inadequacy's as photographers; cos if we had that FA31/77 (or in your case DA*50-135) 'that picture' would have been truly magical...
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Edited by DaveHolmes: 27/03/2013 - 21:28
cabstar
Posted 27/03/2013 - 21:53 Link
bluenose82 wrote:
This advice is Golden... to anybody with wedding experience. If you could only take 1 lense to capture the entire day, formal and candid shots.... What would it be?
Da* 16-50mm what other lens do you need??
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
BigJR
Posted 27/03/2013 - 22:15 Link
Personally, I'd be looking at something like the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8.
cabstar
Posted 27/03/2013 - 22:39 Link
What about the registry office the size of a shed, what do you do for the signing at 24mm when you cant back up any more??

BigJR wrote:
Personally, I'd be looking at something like the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Edited by cabstar: 27/03/2013 - 22:40
BigJR
Posted 28/03/2013 - 07:55 Link
cabstar wrote:
What about the registry office the size of a shed, what do you do for the signing at 24mm when you cant back up any more??

BigJR wrote:
Personally, I'd be looking at something like the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8.
It was a little tongue in cheek as I've been trying to shift one on the classifieds for a while!
petercf
Posted 28/03/2013 - 08:10 Link
bluenose82 wrote:
This advice is Golden... to anybody with wedding experience. If you could only take 1 lense to capture the entire day, formal and candid shots.... What would it be?
It would be my DA* 16-50mm, seems stuck to my camera - strange as when shooting film its always a 200mm.
Digital: K20D+D-BG2 Grip, K10D+D-BG2 Grip, DA* 300 F4, DA* 50-135 F2.8, DA* 16-50 F2.8, DA 17-70 F4, DA 50-200, FA 100-300, AF540FGZ, F Remote release
Analogue: KM, 200mm M,135mm M, K 2x Conv, 28-80mm A, 55mm M, 28mm M, Vivitar 283
Other: Sony PC Digicam,2x Conv,0.7x Sea&Sea wide conv,Sea&Sea Underwater housing, GreenForce 2 x 50W HID lights + double capacity battery, Fujitsu F31 and Underwater housing, Nikon 7900+Underwater Housing
Snootchies
Posted 28/03/2013 - 08:20 Link
To agree in a sense with what others have said, if I had just one lens to do a wedding out of my kit it would be the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. I would get by with it, and would cover about 90% of my needs. For the rest I'd crop a tad and get as close as I can where appropriate to do so.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo