Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Lens Prices...

WendyBoatcomesin
Posted 01/07/2009 - 14:38 Link
organicimagery wrote:
When do you think that the other retailers will follow suit!

Many have already.

There was stock of the 50-135 at another dealer at the old price (£559, iirc), earlier in the week, I hestitated until today and the price is nearly a grand!!

Obviously, its karma after my £10 grip bargain.

Looks like I will go for the Sigma 17-70 after all.
K10D
MZ-50
ME Super
Edited by WendyBoatcomesin: 01/07/2009 - 14:39
mikew
Posted 01/07/2009 - 14:47 Link
shim wrote:
60-250mm f/4.0 ED (IF) SDM* - £1150 ? Unbelievable that a lens that has only just come out has been increased by a third.

shim

Isn't that about right for the UKP and Yen - or it was at one stage as I was planning a visit to Japan and promptly cancelled it when I realised the pound had slipped from 200+ to 138 yen since my last visit.

I thought the price rises were rather more than a third anyway.

I fear Pentax may follow the shampoo trail in the UK. I wonder if they care as we rapidly descend into a bankrupt economy?

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Unlocker
Posted 01/07/2009 - 14:59 Link
I feel for you and your staff Chris, I really do, this is a hell of a lot more than '30% currency fluctuations' and people giving you the flack for it is just bordering on the pathetic really.

Perhaps we should set up a campaign, or bombard Pentax with (polite) complaints about these rises. Some are understandable, some are downright shocking. If it was genuinely say 25-30% across the entire range it would be understandable, not liked I know, but understandable. Doubling or more than doubling some prices is just unjustifiable.

Hope it does not affect business that badly for you, as it would be understandable if people decided to hold off purchases to see if prices will drop. It must be a worry.

And yes, can I pester about the K-7 too please!
shim
Posted 01/07/2009 - 15:03 Link
mikew wrote:
shim wrote:
60-250mm f/4.0 ED (IF) SDM* - £1150 ? Unbelievable that a lens that has only just come out has been increased by a third.

shim

Isn't that about right for the UKP and Yen - or it was at one stage as I was planning a visit to Japan and promptly cancelled it when I realised the pound had slipped from 200+ to 138 yen since my last visit.

I thought the price rises were rather more than a third anyway.

I fear Pentax may follow the shampoo trail in the UK. I wonder if they care as we rapidly descend into a bankrupt economy?

Mike

This was a lens that came out after the currencies had been at their lowest level. The pound has since risen so it should actually be reduced not increased.

shim
johnriley
Posted 01/07/2009 - 15:05 Link
Which lens was that?
Best regards, John
Maciek
Posted 01/07/2009 - 15:11 Link
In the last few weeks I bought four lenses that were on my wanted list and I did save a lot of money! All thanks to SRS and the pre-warning that was send to this forum. Every time the service was excellent and they resolved every query swiftly. On the top of the good price, fast/free delivery and friendly staff every time I purchased the new lens I was tempting with Pentax voucher for next purchase from SRS (additional 35 GBP off!)

The price increase we are facing is insane but lucky for me I have all I wanted and needed..... for now
shim
Posted 01/07/2009 - 15:26 Link
johnriley wrote:
Which lens was that?

The 60-250mm came out in April 2009 link We were told there would be another increase of about £100 when the initial stock ran out..... that should have been the final price, however the Pound has risen about 10% since April.... so the £100 increase should be unnecessary. There was also a 15% rise in Pentax prices reported in this forum during Dec. 2008 which would have been included in the price of the 60-250mm.

shim
mikew
Posted 01/07/2009 - 15:53 Link
Shim perhaps Hoya/Pentax have no faith in the UK economy recovering and want to avoid moving their prices too much too often. Always better to come down than go up.

I doubt that they set prices based on a month or so of currency movement. My clients seem to take the hit or the gain for a number of months before moving. But I am an innocent in such matters.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
pentaxian450
Posted 01/07/2009 - 15:53 Link
We had these kind of price increase on Pentax lenses here (Canada) on April 1st, but the prices went down somewhat after a short while. I think Pentax brings a huge increase, then brings the price down to look like they are listening to their customers.

I hope your prices will go down in a few weeks.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
chirpy
Posted 01/07/2009 - 16:53 Link
I'd like to add my support to Chris and all those at SRS who offer an excellent service. It's unacceptable for people to be rude and abusive to such helpful retailers, especially when they have their hands tied.
edumad
Posted 01/07/2009 - 17:02 Link
Fortunately I had the money to purchase the 55-300mm before the new price. Not from SRS, though, as they were out of stock. But they were my first choice. With the new prices things will change and I bet many people will start looking at the States or elsewhere for their purchases. Too bad for SRS.
I'm sorry you guys had to take the flak for the price increase, its not fair, but unfortunately you are in the line of fire. Plus your human face to the business (otherwise very good 4 business) makes you a prime target. People feel they can't talk to big corporations.

Although you are going with the market, you don't need to be mean about it.
Only £439 for a FA 50mm F1.4
Mannesty
Posted 01/07/2009 - 17:19 Link
I've just totted up the new replacement cost of my lens collection . . . and it's frightening. Suddenly, insurance seems that it might be worth it because I certainly couldn't afford to replace them.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
titchgamer
Posted 01/07/2009 - 17:42 Link
Thanks Chris.

Its a shame people are taking it out on you and your team. I think you are right about the heat but its no excuse really.

Bet ure glad to see that there are still some of us sane and appreciate all your hard work and great service
Lil Andy

K20D, PENTAX DA 18-55, TAMRON DI 70-300, PENTAX SMC-K 135 f2.5

www.ajohnson-photography.co.uk
Snootchies
Posted 01/07/2009 - 18:05 Link
I think we all here agree that Chris has been absolute stellar during these difficult times, giving us notice of the pending hikes and buying as much stock as he could before the prices increased.

It's not right that he should recieve this treatment!!!
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Mannesty
Posted 01/07/2009 - 18:08 Link
I've never had anything other than a fair deal and excellent service from SRS.

If any members here are causing Chris and his staff grief, I'd be very surprised, but if they are members here, they ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.