Lens hood and filter combination - how do I set it up properly?

morpheus71

Link Posted 10/05/2010 - 13:18
I have recently invested in a rubber lens hood for my 18-55mm lens and want to use it in combination with my Hoya Polarizing filter and UV filter - I have attached the hood first with the filters sitting inside the hood... is this the right way to do it - or should I put the hood on after the filters? I did notice some vignetting when I tried to take a shot at an angle of about 45 degrees to the sun....

Cheers
https://www.philhemsley.co.uk/

gartmore

Link Posted 10/05/2010 - 13:31
Do not use the two filters together, you are just introducing more reflective surfaces and a possible degradation of image quality.

The sole point of a UV filter is to reduce aerial haze, only seen with telephoto lenses in certain circumstances. I'm afraid that it is a pretty pointless thing to use with your 18-55.

The vignetting you are seeing is due to the combination of filters and hood. It will make no diference how you attach them, they will always protrude the same amount.

Don't you have the original Pentax petal hood? It is designed specifically for use with polarising filters, the little removable portion is to allow access to the rotating filter ring.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 10/05/2010 - 13:32

Helpful

CheekyChappy

Link Posted 12/05/2010 - 20:32
Can I just chip in that the Pentax hoods sound ideal but they seem so expensive. About £27 each - just for a cylindrical bit of plastic.
Nigel
Pentax K-x, DA18-55 lens, DA50-200 lens, Metz 48 Flash

johnriley

Link Posted 12/05/2010 - 22:56
CheekyChappy wrote:
Can I just chip in that the Pentax hoods sound ideal but they seem so expensive. About £27 each - just for a cylindrical bit of plastic.

They are the right tool for the job, so if you want the best result the answer is clear. Yes, they seem expensive, but they are efficient.
Best regards, John

gartmore

Link Posted 13/05/2010 - 08:24
Just another thought about your rubber hood, even without seeing it I'm pretty sure it will be for a standard lens and will cause vignetting on its own at focal lenghts below 30mm.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.