Leaving Pentax

brownargus
Posted 18/06/2011 - 11:05 Link
After over 30 years of using Pentax cameras including the superb MX and the even better LX, through the renaissance of the marque as it gradually developed its DSLR range, I am sorry to say that I have to desert the flock! This has nothing to do with the cameras themselves. The latest K7 and K5 models are able to hold their own with the competition with the excellent quality of the images, ease of use and the quality of the cameras themselves. No, the reason for the change stems from Pentax’s decline in the market as a leading brand so that independent producers of accessories, such as Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Kenko, etc., don’t feel they need to include compatibility with Pentax in some of their products – e.g. items such as specialist lenses, converters and rings. Whilst Pentax has been developing its range of lenses, with some excellent products, regrettably this is one area that they still lag behind the competition. I am disappointed that Pentax themselves don’t produce some of these items – surely extension rings and a converter should be in their portfolio of products if they are fully to challenge their competitors.

My particular need is for a 1:1 macro lens in the 150-200 mm range and there simply aren’t any available in the Pentax fit – the Sigma 180 has been discontinued and the Sigma 150 and Tamron 180 aren’t available for Pentax cameras.

I am certainly sad at having to leave the brand – it isn’t a decision I have taken lightly because of the cost of changing over to another brand and because I really like my current K7 both as a camera to use and for the excellent quality of images it produces. I sincerely hope that over time Pentax will re-establish its position at the top of its chosen niche in the market with a fully integrated range of products. Unfortunately, I can’t wait! I shall be putting up all my equipment for sale in due course and if anyone is interested please contact me.

John
Pentax K7, Pentax DFA 100 macro, Sigma 17-70 macro, Tamron 70-200 Di LD zoom macro, Vivitar 28 f2.8 CF, Tamron 500 mirror lens, Pentax 360FGZ flash, Panasonic FZ28
johnwhit
Posted 18/06/2011 - 11:32 Link
Hi John, sorry to here it, I too started with a Pentax MX back in 1979 and have remained with Pentax ever since, currently using a K20D. I'm fortunate in having most of what I need and would like to have lens wise but must admit the lack of some products in Pentax fit is disappointing to say the least. I thought this may have changed with the release of the K5 but there's no sign of it just yet. Have you considered using a rear converter with a 90-100mm macro lens as an alternative? Just a thought, but if your mind is set on change then I wish you every luck with your chosen new system.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Mannesty
Posted 18/06/2011 - 11:35 Link
Sorry to know that you have had to come to this decision.

Whilst the Sigma 180mm lens is discontinued, they are available in the used marketplace from time to time.

I have one which I will not part with, because it is so good at macro distances. It's not too shabby as a normal tele lens either, but no match for the DA* 200mm for instance.

Good luck with whatever solution you choose.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
brownargus
Posted 18/06/2011 - 13:10 Link
johnwhit wrote:
Have you considered using a rear converter with a 90-100mm macro lens as an alternative?

John
Hi John,

I have used a converter (Kenko 1.5) with the Pentax 100 DFA but unfortunately the light loss is quite large when using even medium magnifications and I do think that there is also a slight loss of quality. I shall miss the helpful comments, etc., I get from reading this forum. After much thought I have decided on a Nikon D7000 with a Tamron 180 since this came within my budget. The D7000 is simiar in many ways to my K7; slightly larger but doesn't feel so solid! The alternative was a Canon 60D which didn't seem to have as good a spec.

John
Pentax K7, Pentax DFA 100 macro, Sigma 17-70 macro, Tamron 70-200 Di LD zoom macro, Vivitar 28 f2.8 CF, Tamron 500 mirror lens, Pentax 360FGZ flash, Panasonic FZ28
Anvh
Posted 18/06/2011 - 18:32 Link
Bad timing to jump ship...
Because of what happened in Japan you see that all camera brands have a shortage, the prices are going up (at least in the netherlands).

If you love doing macro then Canon might be better because they also have the MPE-65 lens or something like that.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Mike-P
Posted 18/06/2011 - 19:06 Link
Anvh wrote:

If you love doing macro then Canon might be better because they also have the MPE-65 lens or something like that.
My latest purchase.

If only I could settle on a body to put it on.
Anvh
Posted 18/06/2011 - 19:11 Link
Mike-P wrote:
Anvh wrote:

If you love doing macro then Canon might be better because they also have the MPE-65 lens or something like that.
My latest purchase.

If only I could settle on a body to put it on.
I already knew that.

Maybe you can find a 40D or over a couple of months a 5D second hand, i believe the 6D is coming very soon.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
gtis
Posted 19/06/2011 - 16:23 Link
hi john
sorry that you are leaving pentax
i guess that you sold the teleconverter i tried
on the da*300 that i got off you
might catch you at potteric carr some day
with your new camera
all the best
neil
cheers Neil
pentax k3
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 pentax1.4xhd converter





Panasonic Dmc Fz200
George Lazarette
Posted 19/06/2011 - 21:28 Link
I have bought almost all my lenses second-hand. There are long K-mount macro lenses available on the second-hand market, and I think it would be crazy to incur the massive costs of switching brands just because you can't find a new 200mm macro.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Mike-P
Posted 19/06/2011 - 21:41 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
There are long K-mount macro lenses available on the second-hand market, and I think it would be crazy to incur the massive costs of switching brands just because you can't find a new 200mm macro.
Sorry George but there aren't.

The Tamron 180mm is not made in Pentax mount, the Sigma ceased production about 12 months ago and they come up on Ebay about once every 18 months if you are lucky. As for the used Pentax 200mm macro lenses .. you can buy a new body and the Tamron cheaper than one of those would cost.
George Lazarette
Posted 19/06/2011 - 21:55 Link
Well, I must admit I haven't looked recently, but at one time the Sigmas were not too difficult to get hold of.

I wonder why Sigma stopped making them.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
George Lazarette
Posted 19/06/2011 - 21:56 Link
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Mike-P
Posted 19/06/2011 - 22:01 Link
Thats the old manual focus 1:2 version.

While I admit no one really needs AF most prefer to have 1:1 magnification in a macro lens.
Mike-P
Posted 19/06/2011 - 22:02 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
Well, I must admit I haven't looked recently, but at one time the Sigmas were not too difficult to get hold of.

I wonder why Sigma stopped making them.

G
They now sell for more than they cost new.

No one knows why they stopped making them .. a bit like the Sigma 100-300mm f4 which is another superb lens no longer made.
George Lazarette
Posted 19/06/2011 - 22:10 Link
As it's manual focus, extension tubes would be a practical proposition.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo