Last One Out

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 09/10/2018 - 09:26
Hi all... as I mentioned a couple of weeks back, I was down in Sennen, Cornwall over Easter... unusually for Sennen, there was a large, sustained and clean swell running for a number of days in a row... which meant there were a lot of surfers about... as a longtime (though far from expert) surfer myself, I could see that the standard was extremely high... anyway... I took the opportunity to do a quick project on the subject... I've also done an ICM/Multiple Exposure project which I'll post later, but for now, here are a few shots...

I've concentrated in these less on the surfing itself, more on "The Search"... the sitting, and waiting, in the line up, for the right set to come through... all Pentax K1 and PLM 55-300...

All thoughts, comments etc. gratefully received as ever...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

MikeInDevon

Link Posted 09/10/2018 - 09:34
Looks fabulous, I especially like 4 (that sun) & 5 (that colour), however my top marks must go to 6 (that everything).

Cheers
Mike

swarf

Link Posted 09/10/2018 - 09:39
Lovely set - I have a preference for the ones where the surfer is barely visable, so 4, 5, & 6 for me; with 6 as my definate winner. Looking forward to seeing the ICM/ME ones!

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

Nigelk

Link Posted 09/10/2018 - 20:32
They capture the sense of the lonely vigil.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 10/10/2018 - 12:37
Thanks Mike, Phil and Nigel for thoughts and comments re these... yes, my interest in surfing, like many surfers, is as much the soulfulness as the sport... not dissimilar to landscape photography in many ways...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Last Edited by thingsthatihaveseen on 10/10/2018 - 12:37

Sry

Link Posted 11/10/2018 - 13:14
Well-captured moods, once again. I must admit to preferring your human-less images (of those I've seen so far, at least), which makes it all the more surprising I'd almost wish for their presence here to be more boldly (ever so slightly) stated.

However, I am assuming their being 'almost not there' is a deliberate move on your part, and that works particularly well for me in #3 (a peaceful and exclusive coexistence with the sea), #4 (barely there, yet part of this powerful alchemy of sun, clouds, sea and skies) and #6 (barely there yet in movement, respectfully riding the waves).

Looking forward to some more...

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 12/10/2018 - 10:56
Thanks Serge... yes, as you say, the 'almost not there' thing was deliberate with these... part of what I was trying to get at was the "harmony" with mother nature thing, which is a big part of surfing folklore... using only what mother nature provides etc., if you see what I mean... that sense that all these waves will be coming in anyway, and will continue to come in, regardless of whether any humans happen to be out there to ride them or not...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.