Landscape Critique please

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 22:17
Hi guys

what do you think of this?

K-5 and kit lens ( 18 55 )

Critique is always welcome

Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

johnriley

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 22:25
Your idea of selective focus and shallow depth of field works very well.

I think you need to avoid the clipping the edges of the main subject, which happens at the bottom of the frame. Also, I would entirely remove the upper part of the image as this doesn't add anything, only serving to distract.
Best regards, John

Patty

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 22:28
Sorry but it don't work for me. Maybe the same shot, DOF and focus from a lower angle putting the barley head over the woodland in the back so the barley head sits at one third from the top.

No idea really but it just aint right for me!

Pat

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 22:30
Thank you John

I like the background as it serves to emphasise the depth of the field.

QC
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 22:35
Sorry you dont like it Patty!

Im disappointed with the opinions as I liked it!

I appreciate your honesty

Karl

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 22:45
I really like the colours, as if it has been desaturated.
I would crop away most of the trees at the top of the shot.

richandfleur

Link Posted 04/09/2013 - 01:33
I'm picking with foreground object being the bit in focus, that it should be a big higher at least. Having it practically cut off at the bottom isn't helping it. To me it's like the path is almost the subject as it takes up most of the middle of the shot.

You've kind of got two ideas merged into one shot. The photo would probably work with either no foreground object, showing the path, or move the foreground object up and really make it the centre of attention.

Great components, setting, lighting and treatment. Just needs a bit of planning around composition and what you're trying to show/say.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 04/09/2013 - 05:27
Not working for me either. It is one of those images that pulls the eye in different directions and therefore feels confused and makes for somewhat uncomfortable viewing as it doesn't allow the eye to settle. The path draws the eye towards the top and into the scene whereas the in focus part draws the eye away again.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 04/09/2013 - 07:20
Thanks for your feedback guy's. I'm coming around to your way of thinking

MrB

Link Posted 04/09/2013 - 11:05
Is it a landscape, or a portrait of barley? In my opinion, if it is the former then it should all have been captured within the depth of field; if it is the latter then it should be cropped below where the field meets the trees.

Philip
Last Edited by MrB on 04/09/2013 - 11:06

Russ

Link Posted 04/09/2013 - 12:09
There's some lovely light falling on the field in the background. The Barley in the foreground looks like it maybe there by accident and needs cloning out. I agree with others. A lower angle perhaps and crop off the trees.

Or crop off the barley section of your image and have the path leading into a dark fuzzy mysterious woodland.

I can't offer too much as this is the dilemma i am normally in and looks very much like the sort of image i have been producing lately.

Smeggypants

Link Posted 04/09/2013 - 16:46
not keen either. composition seems a bit clumsy. I would have taken it with the focussed wheat higher up the frame so there's some foreground and cropped out or framed out the trees and sky
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

michaelblue

Link Posted 04/09/2013 - 16:54
Smeggypants wrote:
not keen either. composition seems a bit clumsy. I would have taken it with the focussed wheat higher up the frame so there's some foreground and cropped out or framed out the trees and sky

AGREE ENTIRELY
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.