lady in red
Posted 05/11/2009 - 10:02
Link
Love the background in the first one, and the cross is quite interesting (apart from the humungous watermark , when I first saw it I thought "what the hell is that engraved on that cross?" ) I also like her pose in the first one, the way her hand is on the cross is a nice touch - almost looks like she's steering a ship.
I'd have to agree with Gareth about the lady. No offense intended if it's your wife or something, but she looks totally disinterested.
The flash is also not quite right for me. It appears to be head-on. Was it taken with the onboard flash? In the second photo especially the flash has made her face look very pale but left her eyeshadow visible, which put together looks a bit odd. The bright light on her face also makes it look quite flat. There's also a halo around the neckline of her black top.
I'd have to agree with Gareth about the lady. No offense intended if it's your wife or something, but she looks totally disinterested.
The flash is also not quite right for me. It appears to be head-on. Was it taken with the onboard flash? In the second photo especially the flash has made her face look very pale but left her eyeshadow visible, which put together looks a bit odd. The bright light on her face also makes it look quite flat. There's also a halo around the neckline of her black top.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 05/11/2009 - 15:10
Link
Well it is an experimental project just for fun. She's not smiling cause I told her not to.
the theme of the shoot is a young lady wandering through a cemetary at night not realizing she's becoming a new vampire...
all shot during the day and with no makeup.
ethereal glow and make up done in post.
day for night effect started in camera with a single gelled flash in umbrella and custom whitebalance to achieve a blue sky.
perhaps seeing the originals, and a few in order from the set will put it in context... but even when telling a story, each individual image has to hold it's own, her as a vampire is in another thread, on this forum..link
the theme of the shoot is a young lady wandering through a cemetary at night not realizing she's becoming a new vampire...
all shot during the day and with no makeup.
ethereal glow and make up done in post.
day for night effect started in camera with a single gelled flash in umbrella and custom whitebalance to achieve a blue sky.
perhaps seeing the originals, and a few in order from the set will put it in context... but even when telling a story, each individual image has to hold it's own, her as a vampire is in another thread, on this forum..link
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 05/11/2009 - 16:12
Link
here is a raw image from camera:

and the same file with raw conersion set to correct the gelled flash and increase contrast and deepen highlights:

then it goes into photoshop for makeup and post...
this image is to be the last part of the vampre transition...

and the same file with raw conersion set to correct the gelled flash and increase contrast and deepen highlights:

then it goes into photoshop for makeup and post...
this image is to be the last part of the vampre transition...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 05/11/2009 - 16:24
Link
Well, that totally changes things
I retract all of my comments above. They were intended as critique on a 'normal' portrait. Which this isn't
I retract all of my comments above. They were intended as critique on a 'normal' portrait. Which this isn't
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 05/11/2009 - 16:42
Link
thoughton wrote:
Well, that totally changes things
I retract all of my comments above. They were intended as critique on a 'normal' portrait. Which this isn't
helpful getting the first gut reaction... I forgot there was a little on camera flash, but the ambient was too bright to get any red eye as I was hoping for...
Well, that totally changes things
I retract all of my comments above. They were intended as critique on a 'normal' portrait. Which this isn't
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 05/11/2009 - 17:16
Link
No offence Don but I can't see this is using your skills to their best advantage. If you hadn't mentioned vampires etc. it would never have occurred to me but then I probably lack imagination
Mike
Mike
---------------------------------------------------
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Posted 05/11/2009 - 17:42
Link
mikew wrote:
No offence Don but I can't see this is using your skills to their best advantage. If you hadn't mentioned vampires etc. it would never have occurred to me but then I probably lack imagination
Mike
thanx for being honest.No offence Don but I can't see this is using your skills to their best advantage. If you hadn't mentioned vampires etc. it would never have occurred to me but then I probably lack imagination
Mike

there is alot to be learned from self assignments that is for sure...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6213 posts
20 years
Winterpeg Manitoba Canada
also