Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Kr Whiteout Problem.

AlB
Posted 16/07/2018 - 22:53 Link
My daughter had a problem with her Kr whilst on holiday last week and I was hoping someone on here could shed some light on the problem.
She used the camera without any problems for a few days and then without any warning the images started coming out as blank, totally white files (jpeg) about 380kb. She tried several times and the result was always the same.
When she arrived home and asked me to see what the problem was the camera was working normally, every shot I took was saved exactly as it should.
The camera was fitted with the 18-55 kit lens that came with the camera.
Anyone got any ideas what the problem was/is, please?
johnriley
Posted 16/07/2018 - 22:56 - Helpful Comment Link
Could the exposure compensation have been set at +3 or more stops, thus totally over-exposing every image?
Best regards, John
AlB
Posted 16/07/2018 - 23:03 Link
johnriley wrote:
Could the exposure compensation have been set at +3 or more stops, thus totally over-exposing every image?

I don't think so John, she turned the camera off when she was having the problem and the exposure compensation was on zero when I turned it back on earlier this evening.

Alan
JAK
Posted 17/07/2018 - 00:27 - Helpful Comment Link
What mode was the camera in? A wide aperture in bright sunshine might have been outside the exposure limits for that setting, especially if the ISO had been set high. It might have been better to diagnose the issue at the time rather than in retrospect!
John K
AlB
Posted 17/07/2018 - 08:30 Link
John,
She was using Auto Picture mode and as far as I can gather she'd already taken some pictures in the same lighting conditions and they were fine.
I agree about diagnosing at the time but I don't think she wanted to spend her time in California playing about the camera settings, so she just turned it off.

Alan
pschlute
Posted 17/07/2018 - 09:50 - Helpful Comment Link
I guess you no longer have any pictures that were taken ?

Did the camera get too hot perhaps?
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 17/07/2018 - 10:12 - Helpful Comment Link
I've had over-exposure when using TAv mode in low light then forgetting to change it when moving to bright light. The big question is if these white images are massive over-exposure or some kind of sensor fault (though I would expect that to produce black/garbled images rather than white).
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
AlB
Posted 17/07/2018 - 12:05 Link
pschlute wrote:

I have the pictures and don't know, possibly, Peter.
I have loaded one of the images on to the computer and it's just white, no sign of any detail whatsoever. I've vastly overexposed images myself and there is usually some detail present.
I did wonder if it might be a problem with the SD card, but the card seems OK when I connect it to the PC.

Alan
Edited by AlB: 17/07/2018 - 12:07
Aitch53
Posted 17/07/2018 - 12:44 - Helpful Comment Link
Anything useful in the EXIF data?
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
pschlute
Posted 17/07/2018 - 14:27 - Helpful Comment Link
AlB wrote:
pschlute wrote:

I have the pictures and don't know, possibly, Peter.

Post one of the pictures here with exif data intact, it may give us something to go on.
AlB
Posted 17/07/2018 - 16:55 Link
I think, with the help of these posts the problem has been identified.
It appears that Sarah inadvertently must have moved the ISO setting from auto to 256,000. The strange thing is I didn't alter anything when she got home and the camera was working fine.
I should have spotted it straight away, sorry to bother you all, but thanks for your help.

Alan

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.