K7 Size

selectcase
Posted 04/12/2009 - 23:13 Link
I am travelling 70 odd miles to the closest dealer who has a K7 tomorrow and was wandering if anyone can comment of its size - i gather its smaller than the K10 and i actually really like how the K10 feels weight wise etc without a grip.

any opinions welcome

thanks

will

K7D DA 18-55 mk11WR|50-200 wr|DA16-45|Tamron SP90|lots of manual pentax glass
Anvh
Posted 04/12/2009 - 23:27 Link
The grip and weight is the same, you miss a bit on the left side for your other hand to grip and the camera is less high and you will notice that as well. Still it would feel like a secure grip.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
selectcase
Posted 04/12/2009 - 23:28 Link
Cheers stefan

K7D DA 18-55 mk11WR|50-200 wr|DA16-45|Tamron SP90|lots of manual pentax glass
Edited by selectcase: 04/12/2009 - 23:29
Oggy
Posted 05/12/2009 - 00:09 Link
selectcase wrote:
I am travelling 70 odd miles to the closest dealer who has a K7 tomorrow and was wandering if anyone can comment of its size - i gather its smaller than the K10 and i actually really like how the K10 feels weight wise etc without a grip.

any opinions welcome

thanks

will
Will - are you that far from a Curries? Some of their shops have them in. I wouldn't buy from them, but it will give you a chance to handle one.
selectcase
Posted 05/12/2009 - 00:43 Link
Well I am off to Mifsuds tomorrow as i thought they have a good stock and are in travelling distance and i am more than likely going to buy one but thanks for the heads up on currys

K7D DA 18-55 mk11WR|50-200 wr|DA16-45|Tamron SP90|lots of manual pentax glass
JonSchick
Posted 05/12/2009 - 08:10 Link
Size wise very similar to K100D, but with much better grip. Weight wise feels more like (and perhaps more solid than) K10/20D. Combines great handling and ergonomics of the latter with the compactness of the former. Works brilliantly for me without grip (and I used my K20D with the grip to improve the handling!).
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
Greytop
Posted 05/12/2009 - 11:48 Link
I guess size is a personal preference thing but I like that with the K-7 you can go 'small' with just the body and prime or go 'large' with a DA* and balance it nicely with the grip.
Handling wise I find either approach top draw
Regards Huw

flickr
iceblinker
Posted 05/12/2009 - 13:18 Link
I slightly prefer the K10/20D's ergonomics to the K-7's, but the K-7's is good too and I don't notice discomfort in actual use. The K-7 is slightly smaller and about 50 grams lighter.

The exact dimensions and weights can be found on the Pentax and DPReview websites.
~Pete
Eastridge
Posted 06/12/2009 - 10:14 Link
Interesting, it's so personal depending on hand size & personal preferences. Hubby and I went to handle one when we took a trip to Bristol the other week. I loved it as it felt much better than the K10D in my smaller hands. Hubby hated the fact that the 'left hand side' has less volume (as Anvh describes), it didn't feel properly balanced to him and having held it for while one handed (as he tends to) he felt his hand aching.

Does my hubby have wierd hands? Would the grip help? We don't have a grip for the K10D cos hubby loves it's feel just as it is.

Anyway, Will I hope your trip was successful and it felt good to you.
Anvh
Posted 06/12/2009 - 13:28 Link
Nah maybe big hands, I myself have long fingers and the grip is just big enough so that I don't touch the camera with my finger tips, I can see it being a problem.

Strange that your hubby don't like the balance it only has a 50 gram difference, I think it's just the way it feels. A grip would make it heavier and balance things with heavier lenses but if you don't have a grip on the K10D then there shouldn't be much difference?
It's probably the fact that the camera isn't that high any more, place a quick-release plate of a tripod on the camera, that might do the trick since you hold the lens a bit differently then.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
selectcase
Posted 07/12/2009 - 12:57 Link
I find the lighter weight as real bonus - I really appriciated it yesterday when going for a walk

K7D DA 18-55 mk11WR|50-200 wr|DA16-45|Tamron SP90|lots of manual pentax glass
Eastridge
Posted 07/12/2009 - 13:03 Link
Thanks Anvh - good thinking re the QR plate. Will mention it to him.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo