Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K7 Battery Depleted

GDwoohoo
Posted 30/09/2010 - 08:45 Link
I have a K7, It is about 3 weeks old.
While I was out last night the indicator in the LCD screen showed full battery power, however when I used Liveview I managed one photo then the Battery Depleted message appeared and the camera turned itself off. I could turn the camera back on and use it without liveview.
Is this a known issue?
Pentaxophile
Posted 30/09/2010 - 09:38 Link
Sounds normal. Mine does this too but I didn't ever view it as a fault. Liveview and video are power hungry. It's actually quite handy that you get that warning that the battery is getting a bit low, but can still use the camera without liveview for a good time longer.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Edited by Pentaxophile: 30/09/2010 - 09:39
GDwoohoo
Posted 30/09/2010 - 11:23 Link
Thanks for that, I'm pleased its not a fault
pentaxanne
Posted 30/09/2010 - 16:28 Link
does not sound right to me, right the battery was full but when you used liev view it managed 1 shot then turned off, what was the battery indicator saying when you turned back on.
GDwoohoo
Posted 30/09/2010 - 19:21 Link
The indicator said it was full. Thats what bothered me.
pentaxanne
Posted 30/09/2010 - 19:59 Link
doesn't sound normal to me, whats it like in video mode.
Pentaxophile
Posted 30/09/2010 - 21:55 Link
Same issue on dpreview forum: link

Seems the battery life indicator is not the most accurate! Me, I just shrugged and carried on without LV and movie mode. After the behaviour of my K200d, this actually seemed like a blessing, as the K200D would run out of power with virtually no warning sometimes. Although taking the batteries out and putting them back in sometimes gave me several days more use...

Need to get a spare battery!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Edited by Pentaxophile: 30/09/2010 - 21:58
dougf8
Posted 30/09/2010 - 22:08 Link
I think with everything running there is quite a drain on the battery (even though they have little internal resistance) so the voltage will drop. The sensors basically measure the voltage and guess what's left in the tank.

So with live view going, the sensor going, the AF motor going etc lots of drain and low voltage and it thinks, empty.

Once you are back to normal the battery recovers its voltage without the drain and carries on quite happily.

If you think the battery is good for 600 shots and it might be 1/4 full when you have LV on it thinks it depleted. You still are good for 150 shots used normally.
Lurking is shirking.!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.