Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

gx10

jacqui2
Posted 29/09/2010 - 12:53 Link
Hi everyone, am I right in thinking that the samsung gx10 is pretty much the same camera as the pentax k10d? I would like a pentax but I have the chance of buying a gx10 in nice condition. Also if it is much the same, does it take pentax lenses etc. and would I still be able to stay with this forum? any advice would be much appreciated. thanks. jacqui.
jacqui
bforbes
Posted 29/09/2010 - 13:00 Link
Yes to all. I think there are only a few minor differences in the Menu and I believe you can't use a Pentax grip due to small changes in body shape. But in general everything else fits and works as Pentax. In reverse I use Samsung 540 flash and 12-24 lens on a K20
Edited by bforbes: 29/09/2010 - 13:03
simonkit
Posted 29/09/2010 - 13:55 Link
Nothing major to mention - the thing that gets talked about most is that it only uses .DNG Raw format whilst Pentax use .DNG & their own format which is slightly more compressed so uses a bit less memory space on your SD Card - non issue really considering how cheap memory is now

Very good camera - used to have one myself
dougf8
Posted 29/09/2010 - 14:18 Link
The GX10 has excellent image quality. I've had a GX10, a GX20 and now the K-7 and am still happy with the quality of the GX10. One strength of the GX10 is the quality of the jpeg images straight out of the camera. Processing RAW you can squeeze more out of it. It will push up to A3 if needed (as long as you're not nose to the print).

Takes all the Pentax lenses. The battery grip is different from the K10D. Battery life is excellent.

If the price is right I wouldn't hesitate.
Lurking is shirking.!
jacqui2
Posted 29/09/2010 - 17:29 Link
thanks everyone, that's good to know. I will let you know how it goes
jacqui
jacqui2
Posted 30/09/2010 - 09:22 Link
Hi everyone, I am in a bit of a dilemma, I was about to go ahead with the gx10 but I have just discovered they have a used k100d at my local camera shop for £100 I know that the gx10 is a higher spec model etc but the price of the k100d is tempting me somewhat the only thing that really appeals to me about the gx10 over the k100d is the weather sealing. don't know what to do now. any help please
jacqui
bforbes
Posted 30/09/2010 - 09:46 Link
How much is the price difference? As you say The GX10 is a better spec 10mp against 6mp. Unless it is a super the K100 does not support SDM/HSM focusing. If it's a small difference I would go for the GX10.
jacqui2
Posted 30/09/2010 - 09:55 Link
Hi Barrie, gx10 with 18-55 lens £249, k100d body only £100. What does that mean about the sdm/hsm focusing, sorry don't know much about that sort of thing, thanks. jacqui.
jacqui
gartmore
Posted 30/09/2010 - 10:09 Link
The k100d's 6MP sensor produces superb results. I wouldn't be unduly worried about HSM, its where there is a motor in the lens for autofocusing rather than using the drive pin in the camera body.

You can pick up an 18-55 for not much money.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
bforbes
Posted 30/09/2010 - 10:22 Link
the original Pentax auto focus system used a motor in the camera with a mechanical link to the lens. Newer Pentax lenses and some third party use a motor in the lens with contacts between camera and lens for control this is called Sonic Motor Drive or Hyper Sonic Motor (or somthing like, Stephan knows). You can not get the K100d to operate with SDM/HSM. I think the GX10 will work after a firmware update. It depends on what you intend to do regards your photography and lens. There are loads of 18-55 lens about for Approx. £50 so your looking a £100 for the extra spec. I would say go for it, but it's not my money.
fatspider
Posted 30/09/2010 - 10:30 Link
Its worth mentioning the GX10 is a lot higher spec camera than the K100 and is classed as a Semi-Pro model as opposed to the K100's Entry Level.

You will find the GX10 a lot more versatile in the way it operates.

Kens right about SDM (HSM) lenses, at this point its not really worth considering, expecially as the majority of SDM Lenses would set you back £700-1000+

Have you checked out SRS's stock? there should be a link on the right hand side of this page.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
jacqui2
Posted 30/09/2010 - 10:34 Link
that's where the gx10 is at srs. thanks for your comments. I think it's pretty clear that the gx10 would be the better camera for the extra money, it's just the k100d would allow me to maybe buy an extra lens for longer reach, still I suppose I can always save for that and Christmas is coming. oh I don't know.
jacqui
JohnX
Posted 30/09/2010 - 10:41 Link
The K100D would be a cheap way into a potentially expensive hobby, and would give you a chance to see what you really want out of a camera.

I took this route, then up-graded to a K20D once I felt comfortable and knew what I wanted. (Next purchase K5D!)

The GX10 is more expensive but will offer you greater versatility and may well serve you for years to come; a lot depends on where you're coming from (with photography) and where you want to go.

Any Pentax lens you buy will fit either camera, and whilst the 18-55 is ok you might feel that money would be better spent on a different lens that better suits your photographic interests - the 18-55 is a bit of a jack of all trades.

Whatever you do, it won't be a wrong decision. Just enjoy the photography.
Edited by JohnX: 30/09/2010 - 10:43
fatspider
Posted 30/09/2010 - 10:58 Link
But the 10mp sensor would give you more leeway if you needed to crop an image later.

You have a PM (top RH corner of the page check "my messages")
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
jacqui2
Posted 30/09/2010 - 11:34 Link
Well I have ordered the gx10 from srs. phew! not good at making decisions, thanks everyone for your advice.
jacqui

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.