K7, should I wait ?
Posted 29/04/2010 - 23:08
Link
Anvh wrote:
Here you go
K-X link
K-7 link
The photo with the red, green, blue and several gray circles really shows the difference.
It’s too late to read all that stuff tonight but are you sure about that?Here you go
K-X link
K-7 link
The photo with the red, green, blue and several gray circles really shows the difference.
What ISO was used for the respective shots? If the charts for the Kx were taken below the sensor’s base ISO it would be something of an apples to oranges comparison (as I understand it improved high ISO performance typically entails a higher sensor base ISO.)
Posted 29/04/2010 - 23:39
Link
Shaky wrote:
What ISO was used for the respective shots? If the charts for the Kx were taken below the sensor’s base ISO it would be something of an apples to oranges comparison (as I understand it improved high ISO performance typically entails a higher sensor base ISO.)
Yes precisely and the base ISO of the KX is most likely slightly below the ISO400 while the base ISO of the K-7 is around the ISO200 so the K-7 is better at lower ISO and that's what we are talking about and of course more things come into play than base ISO, the resolution of the sensor and the algorithms behind it.What ISO was used for the respective shots? If the charts for the Kx were taken below the sensor’s base ISO it would be something of an apples to oranges comparison (as I understand it improved high ISO performance typically entails a higher sensor base ISO.)
I'm not sure if they change depending the ISO...
Posted 29/04/2010 - 23:59
Link
Anvh wrote:
the base ISO of the KX is most likely slightly below the ISO400 while the base ISO of the K-7 is around the ISO200 so the K-7 is better at lower ISO and that's what we are talking about and of course more things come into play than base ISO, the resolution of the sensor and the algorithms behind it.
But that is precisely my point; the basis of comparison appears to be irrelevant.the base ISO of the KX is most likely slightly below the ISO400 while the base ISO of the K-7 is around the ISO200 so the K-7 is better at lower ISO and that's what we are talking about and of course more things come into play than base ISO, the resolution of the sensor and the algorithms behind it.
As I understand it, increasing ISO stops involves amplifying the signal from the sensor, which is a constant derived at the base ISO.
If you look at the Kx image output below the base ISO you are evaluating an - as it were – deamplified signal. In my mildly inebriated state I am uncertain whether that word actually exists but the point is you are taking away from the signal. It is by definition degrading it.
The solution appears to be simple; do not shoot below the base ISO on the Kx, whatever that may be.
Posted 30/04/2010 - 18:40
Link
Shaky wrote:
The solution appears to be simple; do not shoot below the base ISO on the Kx, whatever that may be.
Ah but ISO400 can be too high in some circumstances like in the studio, flashes can only dial down so far, i sometimes already have problem with ISO100. The solution appears to be simple; do not shoot below the base ISO on the Kx, whatever that may be.
It depends on what you need from your camera, it's not for nothing I'm holding on to my K10D
Posted 04/05/2010 - 09:45
Link
Anvh wrote:
I'm not sure if they change depending the ISO...
Well even though, I find your link very useful.. And I can see what you mean.. Shaky wrote:
What ISO was used for the respective shots? If the charts for the Kx were taken below the sensor’s base ISO it would be something of an apples to oranges comparison (as I understand it improved high ISO performance typically entails a higher sensor base ISO.)
Yes precisely and the base ISO of the KX is most likely slightly below the ISO400 while the base ISO of the K-7 is around the ISO200 so the K-7 is better at lower ISO and that's what we are talking about and of course more things come into play than base ISO, the resolution of the sensor and the algorithms behind it.What ISO was used for the respective shots? If the charts for the Kx were taken below the sensor’s base ISO it would be something of an apples to oranges comparison (as I understand it improved high ISO performance typically entails a higher sensor base ISO.)
I'm not sure if they change depending the ISO...
I think I'll be happy with the higher ISO's (trying to shoot lots og birds, and indoor people and stuff. i.e not using it in studio )
As for the iso 100 problem I will only have problem in snowy conditions we a'int got that much sun i Denmark anyway.. lol
K10D, Pentax 18-55mm, Pentax 50mm f1.7 M, Pentax DA* 300mm f4, Da* 50-135mm f2.8, DA* 16-50mm f2.8, Tamron 28-70mm f2.6-f2.8
Posted 04/05/2010 - 12:49
Link
Leech wrote:
As for the iso 100 problem I will only have problem in snowy conditions we a'int got that much sun i Denmark anyway.. lol
Well that's the thing, I don't think it's an ISO100 problem only.As for the iso 100 problem I will only have problem in snowy conditions we a'int got that much sun i Denmark anyway.. lol
The Moire, that you see isn't fully a sensor related thing and so is the rest. It's something that can be filtered at the sensor level and it seems pentax hasn't done that.
I know they didn't do a lot with the 645D either so would be interesting to see how that one would preform.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



52 posts
19 years
Denmark
...
As for the K7 vs the KX, the KX sensor produce quite some moiré and demosaicing artefacts while the K-7 is cleaner and it also has more pixels, therefore with the lower ISO where the noise is low these play a part how clean the photo looks and that's why the k-7 is better.
...
uzzlesmiley: