Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K5iis or k3 question.

scarr1
Posted 15/12/2015 - 21:42 Link
Im on the lookout for a used k5iis or k3 mk1 but have a question regarding the k3. Im not too concerned which one as yet, i will just wait and see what comes up first!!
I currently have a k5, so i know the 5iis will be the same in the hand, but anyone who has a 5 and a 3, do they sit the same in the hand. I like the ergonomics of the k5 and it feels nearly perfect in my hand, but sometimes wish the grip was just a little bit bigger/deeper.
Any thoughts on what you find more comfortable, the 5 or the 3.
whatsthisbuttondo
Posted 15/12/2015 - 21:59 Link
I went from k5 to k3 I found the k3 more comfortable in my hands
johnriley
Posted 15/12/2015 - 22:36 Link
They are very similar though and moving from one to the other shouldn't be a problem. Once you've handled a Pentax you can really operate any Pentax without too much bother.
Best regards, John
bforbes
Posted 15/12/2015 - 22:55 Link
I believe the 5's and the 3's are very similar bodies so feel much the same. I had a problem when I tried using my K5lls and K3 mk1 together because of the different button positions. I use the AF button for focusing which was moved on the K3 and I could not get with remembering which button was where on which body. But that could be down to my lack of mental agility
davidstorm
Posted 15/12/2015 - 23:11 Link
I have both, they feel quite similar, but I prefer the K-3, it is very slightly larger and the buttons are better placed, particularly the rear AF button. K-3 also has a much better rear LCD.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Dogwalker
Posted 15/12/2015 - 23:34 Link
Hiya, I only have a left eye that i can use, So i find the AF button on the K3 a right pain my thumb knuckle is right in front of my specs right lens, So i have to pre focus by means of the grip AF button then drift up to the shutter button to take the shot. So im not impressed with the new position for the AF button, But everything else about the K3 is great, Wonderful camera.

Regards Bob.
Mag07
Posted 16/12/2015 - 01:17 Link
Dogwalker wrote:
Hiya, I only have a left eye that i can use, So i find the AF button on the K3 a right pain my thumb knuckle is right in front of my specs right lens, So i have to pre focus by means of the grip AF button then drift up to the shutter button to take the shot. So im not impressed with the new position for the AF button, But everything else about the K3 is great, Wonderful camera.

Regards Bob.

I find that http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000R90IM4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_se... helps a ton with the AF button as it sticks out from the camera back further than the default eyepiece, allowing for more space to sneak the thumb in between the camera and the glasses On top of it it's rather nice to have the slight magnification in general

It may very well depend on the size of your thumb, but it at least makes it usable as intended; if not ideal.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
Edited by Mag07: 16/12/2015 - 01:18
percy
Posted 16/12/2015 - 08:04 Link
Pretty similar handling wise, but I prefer the K-3 because I find the rear AF button is placed better.
vic cross
Posted 16/12/2015 - 09:36 Link
I had the K5iis but now have the K3 & K3ii. I say go for the K3. As to the depth of the grip they are just about the same. I've got hands like baby steam shovels so the answer is. Buy a grip. I always have the grip as it's somewhere to put my little finger
Extra battery and spare SDHC card and vertical shooting is easier.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Edited by vic cross: 16/12/2015 - 09:37
walkeja
Posted 16/12/2015 - 10:38 Link
johnriley wrote:
They are very similar though and moving from one to the other shouldn't be a problem. Once you've handled a Pentax you can really operate any Pentax without too much bother.

That is one of the beauties of owning a Pentax, the right feel when you handle it! When I bought my first camera, a K1000, the dealer offered me a Nikon. Didn't like the feel of it, as soon as I handled the Pentax, I was sold on it, and have been ever since.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Edited by walkeja: 16/12/2015 - 10:38
Posted 09/01/2016 - 20:15 Link
I have the K5, K5iis and K3 and used them alternately. I use the K3 for modern lenses and the K5 & K5iis for manual focus lenses. I don't notice a difference but then I shoot in Manual Mode.

Lawrence

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.