K5ii or K5iis?

cats_five

Link Posted 08/05/2013 - 08:20
Want to upgrade my K7. I mostly do two types of photography with it:

1) landscape which is ISO 100, f8, tripod, and whatever shutter speed it sets. Sometimes I use an ND filter if there is moving water. Quite happy with these images.

2) cats in available light. Here I need to use a high ISO to get a hand-holdable shutter speed and sometimes the noise is a big problem and spoils otherwise good images. These are the shots I want to upgrade for - the better high-ISO performance and better focusing should benefit this. Should add that I often do close-ups - I more or less fill the frame with the cat's head.

A lot of the shots go on a friend's website, but I also print A4, can print A3, and will go back to camera club sometime and will be wanting to enter some cat prints, so they need to be sharp and low noise enough. Note that they are often cropped as well.

So, will the iis benefit the cat photography? I'm not using super-sharp lenses.
Last Edited by cats_five on 08/05/2013 - 08:23

johnriley

Link Posted 08/05/2013 - 08:24
I'd suggest then K-5 II and some better lenses. That should do the trick. The IIs would resolve the cat hairs better, but without really good lenses you'd be better concentrating on upgrading that part of the chain.

If budget is not a problem, then the IIs is the body of choice.
Best regards, John

Mike-P

Link Posted 08/05/2013 - 08:36
cats_five wrote:

2) cats in available light. Here I need to use a high ISO to get a hand-holdable shutter speed and sometimes the noise is a big problem and spoils otherwise good images. These are the shots I want to upgrade for - the better high-ISO performance and better focusing should benefit this. Should add that I often do close-ups - I more or less fill the frame with the cat's head.

Can't do a cat but got one of the dog taken with the k-5II at high(ish) iso.

ISO 2500, DA* 50-135mm @ f3.2

. My Flickr

cats_five

Link Posted 09/05/2013 - 19:07
Your dog is very sweet!

Have just ordered a K5ii. Hopefully it will arrive early next week, and the first photos I take will be of the K7 to go on Ebay.

I agree some better glass might be in order, but for the cat photography especially a zoom is really useful, and really good zoom lenses are a bit of an oxymoron and good ones are ....

Smeggypants

Link Posted 09/05/2013 - 20:53
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwm lovely doggie
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.