K5-lls overexposure

greypoint

Link Posted 17/06/2013 - 23:26
I've had my K5-lls for a few months. It went back to SRS, just after I bought it, when it kept locking up, and that seemed to be just a firmware issue as it's only done it once since it was returned. When I tried out the day after it came back I had a series of images - probably 20 or more but not every image in a sequence of two or three - totally over exposed, almost white. It seemed to right itself [I experimented with all sorts of different settings and swapped lenses]. Since then it's occasionally given the odd few really overexposed shots but this weekend I had two or three lots of 5 to 10 sequences which had the same problem. This happens shooting JPEGs in, mainly TAV mode [where it sets really high ISO in sunshine] but also AV,TV etc. It does it in all metering modes. I can take a couple of shots which are properly exposed, point at the same subject and have totally washed out results. Any ideas? Or does it sound faulty? Never had this with any other camera.

johnriley

Link Posted 17/06/2013 - 23:27
Could you post some examples please?
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 17/06/2013 - 23:35
Mine used to overexpose too when I first got it, but as soon as I updated to the latest firmware the issue disappeared completely and has never happened since. Pentax did ship out a couple of firmware updates in pretty quick succession when the IIs was launched, so maybe there was a software problem? I am running version 1.03 now.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

greypoint

Link Posted 17/06/2013 - 23:39
I deleted them as I went along unfortunately so I'll have to see if it does it again in the next few days so I can post some. It's a bit sporadic - can go for a few weeks without doing it and then it does it again. It's a bit odd to say the least. Basically it's as I said - not just iffy but so overexposed that sometimes you can barely make out any part of the picture.

greypoint

Link Posted 17/06/2013 - 23:43
Just checked and it's version 1.3 - SRS updated it when they had it back to sort the locking up problem.

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 18/06/2013 - 10:45
The latest firmware for the IIs is V1.04 link
I'm only 4fut3, but I look a lot bigger from a distance

Nikon D600, 18-55, 50 F1.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM,180macro.
MZ-7, K-10,K-7, all gripped.
Pentax 35 28-80
Sigma 50 EX Macro.
A sexy little Q with 8.5mm Prime.
And a cup with a gorrila on it, it's also chipped a little, but holds tea perfectly well.

Ranfog Flickr Group
Last Edited by bettyswolloks on 18/06/2013 - 10:45

davidstorm

Link Posted 18/06/2013 - 13:02
Also, I just noticed that the version 1.03 update does list a correction for an exposure issue, although it states this was just when using AA batteries, I suspect it could have been a wider problem.

Regards
David

Flickr

RobE17

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 15:41
I experienced the same thing over the weekend with my lls whilst using AA batteries. Having checked the firmware version it shows v1.04 so this shouldn't be happening?
My Flickr Page

MrB

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 18:45
Just to clarify, Sue, has the problem of over-exposure happened with different lenses?

Philip

greypoint

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 21:20
I am trying to remember exactly which lens/lenses have been involved. The first time it happened I think it must have been with the 55-300mm on the next occasion it could have been the Sigma 50-150mm . Since posting this thread back in June it has'nt happened again except on a couple of occasions when using my Sigma 120 -400mm where it also did'nt always lock af - as this lens worked perfectly with my K-30 [and other previous models] I put this down to some incompatability between lens and camera rather than a camera problem. Have had another 3 or 4 lock ups which has been annoying!

davidstorm

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 21:47
Still no more issues with my K-5iis since updating firmware, it has now taken thousands of shots. I suspect if some are having problems this may be a faulty camera or possibly electrical contact issues between the camera and the lens. I would try cleaning the contacts on both camera and lens first.

Regards
David

Flickr

George Lazarette

Link Posted 24/07/2013 - 22:48
I remember when the K10D came out, Pentax explained the necessity for using an (expensive) proprietary battery, instead of AAs, arose because the voltage of AAs often fluctuated considerably, causing exposure and other problems.

It seems they should have retained the proprietary batteries.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

dsimaitis

Link Posted 25/07/2013 - 02:52
Hi...

I was just on a trip and all of a sudden my K7 started seriously overexposing all of my photos. Two different lenses. I turned it on and off several times. Exposure compensation is at zero, and I tried many different setting combinations and metering modes. It works perfect in Auto mode, but ANY other is completely whited out. And whited out in a very similar fashion. I recently updated my firmware (here in July 2013), but it worked okay for a while before doing this.

Any thoughts? I am not an expert, but I have had my camera for a couple of years now and have never had this problem. I have also shot easily over 10,000 photos with it... In Manual mode I pay attention to the readouts and adjust things accordingly and USED to get good photos... now they are all white!

Any help would be appreciated... I did not necessarily want to start a new thread since this was here, but if I should please let me know.

Thank you!

johnriley

Link Posted 25/07/2013 - 07:50
I'd check the image styles and digital filters to make sure one wasn't inadvertently set.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.