Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K5 II and IIs continuous autofocus

eoinandpaula
Posted 22/07/2013 - 12:48 Link
I was fortunate enough to be able to swap my 2 * K5 for a K5II and a K5IIs recently. However, I am not happy with the continuous autofocussing either in spot mode (focus at the centre) or in SEL mode where one of the major advantages of the K5II is supposed to be the intelligent tracking of a moving object. Generally I photograph wildlife but I could just as easily be tracking at motocross. Has anyone else had the same problem?

On the K5 in AF.C there was a constant aural feedback as the focussing altered. This appears to have gone on the K5II.

Is there a setting that I have missed? I am on the latest version of the software, I believe, 1.04.

Regards to all

Eoin Hanley
miles500
Posted 22/07/2013 - 15:10 Link
I have a feeling that the continuous focusing is slightly better than my K5 used to be. Attached is one of yesterday's triathlon which came through my village. I use the SEL mode and tried to track the cyclist for a couple of seconds before pressing the shutter and that seemed to work very well. A couple of weeks ago I was at Goodwood where there were some motorcycle aerobatics and used the high speed shutter mode. The first shot in the series usually did not focus but the camera found focus on the others in the series and it was striking to me how the viewfinder image turned form a slight blur into something sharp.
Comment Image

Comment Image

I do however find the focus to be the weak spot as earlier this week I took a landscape at 1/125 and got an unsharp picture which I can not explain. Photome told me that the image was stabilised. This was a problem which I had quite often with the K7 and to a lesser extent with the K5. In other instances I think that the red focus point may not be as accurate as it appears to be. As far as action shots are concerned I am getting more keepers than on the K5.
Miles
vic cross
Posted 25/07/2013 - 09:46 Link
Eion. Ref. the aural feedback on a K5iis. At Mallory Park in AF-C and centre spot, first time out mine was so loud that I thought I had a mechanical problem there was so much wherring going on. The bikes were coming at me thick and fast and I was in 7 frames a second mode head on and panning and out of a few hundred shots I had very very few out of focus. I find the K5iis auto focus "marginally" faster an more accurate than the K7.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.