Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K3ii auto focus

phillipjclay
Posted 16/05/2020 - 08:41 Link
I have a 2 year old k3ii with 22k shutter count. The cameras either stops working or the autofocus stops working. Turning it on and off sorts it. Or removing the lens and putting it back. I recently replaced the 16-85mm lens thinking it was this but its not. I have tried a hard reset which made no difference. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution?
Lubbyman
Posted 16/05/2020 - 09:15 Link
Dirty contacts (lens or body)? Battery not as good as it used to be? Dirty battery contacts?

Steve
phillipjclay
Posted 16/05/2020 - 09:56 Link
I'll give them all a good clean. What is good for cleaning? The batteries are only 2 years old and hold charge brilliantly.
Lubbyman
Posted 16/05/2020 - 11:40 Link
phillipjclay wrote:
What is good for cleaning?

A contact is just a bit of metal. Try a dry microfibre cloth to start with. For more stubborn muck, anything that will remove greasy deposits (e.g. finger marks), won't damage anything and won't leave a deposit behind (so no household 'clean and shine' products then :wink. Some people use isopropyl alcohol on a cloth or cotton bud. Nikon say "We recommend cleaning the CPU contacts on both the lens and camera body with a photographic cleaning tissue wrapped on a small wooden stick (such as a chopstick). A general cleaning fluid such as a surgical spirit is recommended. Wipe the cleaning tissue slowly across the contacts a few times until they look clean.".

Just make sure that any liquid you use doesn't get anywhere it shouldn't, such as inside the camera or on a weather-resistant seal. And don't do it in a dusty place or you'll need to clean the sensor next!

Another thought - does autofocus work with screw drive lenses? I've been assuming that contacts might be the cause because you mentioned the 16-85 which has the AF motor in the lens. But if screw drive AF doesn't work (i.e. you can't hear it working rather than it tries but can't find focus), that would indicate a problem in the camera body rather than just contacts.

Good luck.

Steve
phillipjclay
Posted 16/05/2020 - 12:00 Link
I do use a 100mm which has the screw drive and I don't remember it doing it with that. I will try giving all the contact a good clean and see how it does. Thanks for the advise
Mannesty
Posted 16/05/2020 - 12:49 Link
Is your camera's firmware up to date?
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
johnriley
Posted 16/05/2020 - 15:07 Link
And also the lens firmware as updates were put out for the lenses also.
Best regards, John
Mannesty
Posted 16/05/2020 - 16:05 Link
johnriley wrote:

Only for 'Q' series lenses I think John.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
johnriley
Posted 16/05/2020 - 16:24 Link
Mannesty wrote:
johnriley wrote:

Only for 'Q' series lenses I think John.

Correct. I think my answer may be in the wrong thread!
Best regards, John
Aitch53
Posted 16/05/2020 - 16:27 Link
Well, a right answer in the wrong thread is better than a wrong answer in the right thread...
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
davidwozhere
Posted 16/05/2020 - 23:46 Link
The battery contacts certainly do get tarnished. I give mine a good 'scrubbing' now and then with an old, soft toothbrush. You have to do the same with the gold plated (?) ones inside the *ist series bodies too. They simply won't power up if they've been left for a while because there is no contact.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
JAK
Posted 17/05/2020 - 00:53 Link
A normal pencil rubber is pretty good for cleaning contacts too. It's also worth cleaning the battery contacts as any resistance there can simulate a failing battery.
John K

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.