K3II, Manual lens using flash

retsoor

Link Posted 04/09/2018 - 21:31
Hi
I have a K3II and a Metz 44 AF1 flashgun. I have two old lenses from my old ME Super - A Pentax 135mm and a 50mm F1.7. When shooting without flash I use the Green button method ie set the aperture on manual mode and press the green button to stop down. Overall I get decent results although focussing is sometimes a little off. However when using flash should I set the camera to manual mode or to X and do I still use the green button?. Also should I use the flash on TTL or manual. I have tried various combinations but don't get consistent results. Is it just a matter of trial and error or has anybody got a proven method
I am interested to hear anybody's experience of this
Thanks

JAK

Link Posted 04/09/2018 - 22:16
Are you aware of how to use flash guide numbers? A bit 'old school' I know! That is what you'll need to use though the flash gun may have a table showing f numbers for given distances to help.
'X' sets the flash sync speed, around 1/125" (to be precise it's 1/180" with a K-2ii) so use that.

I think that Metz's trigger voltage is not too high for a DSLR but it's something to consider with older guns.

You may well be able to use the flash's TTL setting - you set the f number based on the ISO used (it may say ASA which is a direct equivalent).

Basically just do what you did with your ME Super.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 04/09/2018 - 22:22

JAK

Link Posted 05/09/2018 - 00:33
Just to add, the green button is for the camera metering with manual lenses; that won't work with flash so just set the lens aperture to what the flashgun requires and you should be fine. Adjust the initial image exposure to taste if necessary!
John K

davidwozhere

Link Posted 05/09/2018 - 00:36
I don't think you can use TTL with a K3ii. You need to go back to the *istD or DS for that ? Therefore you only have the old school methods available to you.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

JAK

Link Posted 05/09/2018 - 10:10
davidwozhere wrote:
I don't think you can use TTL with a K3ii. You need to go back to the *istD or DS for that ? Therefore you only have the old school methods available to you.

You're right. I'm thinking of the older auto equivalent on the flash itself! The ME Super didn't have TTL through the camera lens but could use the auto feature of the flash'.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 05/09/2018 - 10:11

retsoor

Link Posted 06/09/2018 - 20:06
Thanks for all the advice and comments. Having experimented a little more I am finding it's a bit of trial and error between the flash power and the aperture
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.