K30 Battery Charger issue - Any ideas?

lynad

Link Posted 05/05/2013 - 16:01
Hello,

I purchased a K30 about seven months ago and now the battery will not charge. When I place the rechargeable battery that came with the camera on the supplied charger unit (D-BC109) the green light flashes when previously it remained constant while charging and went off when full.

I have tried the following since the issue occurred but neither have worked:

1. Cleaning the battery contact points.
2. Switching off the auto-off function on the camera and leaving it on to completely drain the battery and then trying to charge it.

I am starting to think there is a hardware fault with either the battery or the charger but I am off on holiday in a couple of weeks and do not want to be without my camera.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this issue before or has any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam.

JohnX

Link Posted 05/05/2013 - 18:44
My manual (for a K5II) suggests this indicates the battery is faulty, but...

I've had the blinking light issue a number of times. Although the battery may be faulty it could also indicate the battery has been over discharged and the voltage fallen to a point where the charger see's it as faulty.

Try taking the battery in and out of the charger a few times, effectively repeatedly restarting the charging cycle.

Hopefully after a few attempts the charger will have pushed some charge into the battery, you'll see a steady green light and the battery will charge. If not the battery should be covered by warranty, so back to the shop.
Last Edited by JohnX on 05/05/2013 - 18:47

lynad

Link Posted 05/05/2013 - 22:26
Thanks John, I tried your suggestion but it just keeps flashing so I guess it must be the battery. Thanks for your help.

JohnX wrote:

I've had the blinking light issue a number of times. Although the battery may be faulty it could also indicate the battery has been over discharged and the voltage fallen to a point where the charger see's it as faulty.

Try taking the battery in and out of the charger a few times, effectively repeatedly restarting the charging cycle.

Hopefully after a few attempts the charger will have pushed some charge into the battery, you'll see a steady green light and the battery will charge. If not the battery should be covered by warranty, so back to the shop.

JohnX wrote:

JohnX

Link Posted 05/05/2013 - 22:42
You did leave the battery in for a few minutes each time? (I should have said that )

bforbes

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 00:42
link
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

lynad

Link Posted 07/05/2013 - 11:22
Thanks John , I did leave it for a few minutes each time but still no joy. I have sent the battery and charger off to Pentax's Service agent this morning.

JohnX wrote:
You did leave the battery in for a few minutes each time? (I should have said that )

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.