K3 top LCD panel failure?

malcolmk

Link Posted 06/09/2015 - 09:45
My K3 is normally set to low illumination on the LCD panel. Menu C4/22.

Last night while shooting dark scenes from an even darker position I noticed the LCD panel wasn't illuminated at all. Hardware failure I thought.

However I noted the Menu doesn't allow OFF at all, greyed out. Only High and Low available, neither of which work. So it may be a software problem.

Have I overlooked something? Anyone got any ideas or seen something similar before I do a complete Reset or send it back to SRS?

Latest firmware In use. LCD worked OK until fairly recently but maybe not since 1.21.,

johnriley

Link Posted 06/09/2015 - 10:18
Page 15 and 73 in the manual might help. The RAW/fx button can be programmed to switch the illumination on and off. Is this what has happened? Maybe you pressed the RAW button and hence turned it off?
Best regards, John

Helpful

McGregNi

Link Posted 06/09/2015 - 11:28
That's a possibility for sure. You could try switching to green mode .... On the K7 that automatically re-activates the top LCD despite any custom setting, so may be the same on the K3. A quick way to check.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

malcolmk

Link Posted 06/09/2015 - 14:27
johnriley wrote:
Page 15 and 73 in the manual might help. The RAW/fx button can be programmed to switch the illumination on and off. Is this what has happened? Maybe you pressed the RAW button and hence turned it off?

I find the RAW button the only one in the wrong place for me. The knuckle of my fore finger hits it because of my habit of clutching hold of the left strap close to the camera and the RAW button neatly swings against my finger.

ISTR the K5 RAW could be programmed to do nothing, or at least nothing important, but I remember now that I set the K3 a while ago to do the least 'damage'. I.e. turn off the LCD. Then forgot all about it. Then while groping around in the dark last night using 6400 ISO (which I had never touched before!) it came back to bite me.

So thanks John for being right first time, and Nigel, the K7 quirk doesn't seem to be the same on the K3. Thanks anyway.

Software error? Yes, but of the grey cells sort.

johnriley

Link Posted 06/09/2015 - 15:14
Glad the problem is solved!
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.