Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

k3 sub £1000

Dave-L
Posted 21/02/2014 - 16:18 Link
CMW wrote:
This is an American company you'd be dealing with (they don't hide that but the website '.co.uk' might mislead). You'll be getting a grey import, will not have the statutory safeguards that protect transactions with any UK- or EC-based company, and should read in detail their T&Cs

They do a pretty good job of obscuring that information, in fact. Buyers who are not as switched on as most of us may well think it's a UK outfit.

Not for me - though I have imported stuff in the distant past from other sources and may do so again in the future - but I hope they help to drive UK prices down a bit.
K3/K5/10-17fisheye/15mmDA Ltd/18-55WR/55-300DA/100DFAMacroWR/50F1.4M/200F4M/DA*200F2.8/DA*300F4/DA*50-135/DA*60-250/Mitsuki 400F5.6/others.
Edited by Dave-L: 21/02/2014 - 16:19
RalphHardwick
Posted 21/02/2014 - 16:26 Link
I notice that they are still offering the Silver K-3, Body only for £709 (with no extra duties, taxes or VAT supposedly).

As I am keen to buy a silver K-3 I have just sent this email:

I notice that you are selling the Silver Edition Pentax K-3 for £709 and quoting a RRP of £1235. I understood that the Silver version was a limited edition only available with a matching Pentax battery grip. This is available in the UK at £1299.
Can you confirm if your Silver Edition includes the specified silver grip as per the 'Limited Edition' information available from Ricoh.

If not please explain how you can offer the camera separately as there were supposedly only 2000 units made available, all with grips.

Please note I am keen to purchase one of these units but would like to understand how you can offer the camera separately from the grip.
Thank you

I shall let you know if I hear anything.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"
Edited by RalphHardwick: 21/02/2014 - 16:26
Aleks1298
Posted 21/02/2014 - 16:33 Link
RalphHardwick wrote:
Aleks1298 wrote:
They -just made the deal sweeter:
K3 + 18-135 for £879 vs UK based £1339

http://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID1517C5/15541-_Pentax-K_3-DSLR-Camera-With-18_135mm...

Bear in mind that the Silver K3 was only supplied with a silver matching grip as a 'Limited edition' package.
I saw this offer a short while ago and couldn't see any reference to the grip which made me suspicious. If you're interested then I would suggest you contact them first and ask about the source of their stock and what happened to the grip.
The £1339 UK price you are quoting, probably and correctly, includes the grip.

SRS price for the silver +grip + 35mm lens is £1299 (link.

I know where I would rather buy one from

Edit: I just followed you link and it is the a black edition not silver

You are right about the grip. The link I posted was a black K3+18-135 and the comparison price was from SRS for exactly the same combo. To be fair to SRS, they do supply 35mm f2.4 and can give £50 off with the right code So the deal in SRS is pretty nice as well.

And they do obscure the fact that they are imported, their contact details are now London based. Not sure what this means for the warranty etc.
Pentax K-5 and co.
Aleks1298
Posted 21/02/2014 - 16:41 Link
Another point, SLRHut offers extended warranty for £90 making it more similar to UK Pentax Pro centre offers.

Thus SLRHut price for body, postage and warranty would be: £710+£15+£90=£815

SRS would be for body, postage, warranty AND 35/50mm lens: £979

With £50 discount code on this forum and lens worth £149 effective price is £780 and it is a sure deal with SRS or other UK Pentax Pro centres.

Now just to find a piggy bank that is full of money...
Pentax K-5 and co.
obione
Posted 21/02/2014 - 20:11 Link
slr hut offer pentax lenses (sigma ) which are not made for pentax ...
so make your own mind up ..
http://www.slrhut.co.uk/product/ID292C15/106109-_Sigma-150mm-F_2_8-EX-DG-OS-HSM-...
http://www.slrhut.co.uk/product/ID282C15/136109-_Sigma-120_300mm-F_2_8-EX-DG-OS-...
Aleks1298 wrote:
Another point, SLRHut offers extended warranty for £90 making it more similar to UK Pentax Pro centre offers.

Thus SLRHut price for body, postage and warranty would be: £710+£15+£90=£815

With £50 discount code on this forum and lens worth £149 effective price is £780 and it is a sure deal with SRS or other UK Pentax Pro centres.

k-5, K-5ii,60-250 f4, 50 f1.4 af,17-70 f4, 100mm macro wr,siggy 10-20 siggy 100-300f4
CMW
Posted 21/02/2014 - 20:18 Link
Aleks1298 wrote:

The warranty is as robust (or fragile) as the warranty-provider. So would you be spending £90 on a warranty you can have confidence in? There doesn't appear to be a link to any terms and conditions for the warranty; and the description is sloppy (eg 'The Authorized Warranty provides complete coverage across all 48 contiguous states'). The site's general T&Cs do make it clear, though, that 'Extended warranties which are purchased are strictly non-returnable and non-refundable'. So, if you find you don't like the small print, tough. SLRHut are not subject to the Distance Selling Regulations.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
cabstar
Posted 21/02/2014 - 22:24 Link
I've had a number of dslr repairs done over the years and I don't think I ever paid more than £125 for a repair and I never needed a body repairing more than once. I would be tempted to put the £90 on. Savings account for a just in case scenario and get the body repaired by a company I know and trust.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
RalphHardwick
Posted 23/02/2014 - 19:34 Link
Just had this message fro SLRHut:

Ralph,

Thank you for inquiring with us!

Your email was forwarded to the appropriate department, you will receive a reply shortly.

Best Regards,
SLRHut
Customer Support Team
02035 149 372

I shall keep you informed...........
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"
kvx
Posted 26/02/2014 - 22:04 Link
Aleks1298 wrote:

must resist for a little while longer....in fact i gotta resist a little while longer
RalphHardwick
Posted 27/02/2014 - 08:42 Link
RalphHardwick wrote:
Just had this message fro SLRHut:

Ralph,

Thank you for inquiring with us!

Your email was forwarded to the appropriate department, you will receive a reply shortly.

Best Regards,
SLRHut
Customer Support Team
02035 149 372

I shall keep you informed...........

4 days and nothing yet

As the old saying goes; "if it looks too good to be true....etc etc.
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
Gamka
Posted 27/02/2014 - 09:51 Link
They do have a UK address,

SLRHut - consumer electronics store

Location Address: Unit 17, 336 Kennington Ln, London, SE11 5HY

Phones Phone Number: 02035 149 372

I wonder what would happen if a customer arrived HERE.

Someone obviously collects the mail and forwards it to wherever.
JohnE
Posted 27/02/2014 - 17:27 Link
SLRHut do seem to be reasonably well rated web company on TrustPilot:
http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/slrhut.co.uk

Generally some good to excellent reviews, but with a few very bad.

Not really surprising that the UK address is a mail forwarding company - given that the company actually operates from overseas - although I cannot see from where that is.

I do sympathize with their ethos, i.e. saving us from the dreaded MRSP that every camera manufacturer ramps up especially for the UK market, when other countries (e.g USA) often get *much* cheaper deals.

However they could be a lot more up-front about the fact that they have no physical presence in the UK and that it will cost you a moderate sum of money if your item turns out to be faulty.

They really should also give a legitimate world-wide address so that everyone knows where they are trading from. This mailbox thing just looks so disreputable - especially in the litter strewn street seen in the Streetview image.
---
Pentax K30, Pentax K5, Probably too many lenses (if I am honest), Sony ILCE 6000
Posted 24/10/2014 - 15:35 Link
I try to post on this thread instead of opening a new one. did anybody has a reliable feedback about the SLRHub vendor ?
they have the k3 Prestige Edition at 899£
Best Regards
Alessandro Prestigiacomo

K5, Kr, and some glasses
andy_bell
Posted 29/10/2014 - 10:15 Link
Instead of worrying about where its coming from just go buy from here...
Definitely in the USA, but really good service....
http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/deals/pentax-k-3-and-k-50-price-dive.html

some really good deals and savings

just make sure you pay all of the charges upfront when you order then HMRC wont bother you....
A few bits & Bobs

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.