K3 price increase

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 16/02/2014 - 21:41
The K3 is newer, which explains the higher price. I'd say it's also better.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 16/02/2014 - 22:11
Hold a K-3 under a running water tap for a few minutes and repeat the exercise with a Canon and the Nikon... then go for the one that still works....even the water-resistant 2300 5D3 is only water resistant up to a point (the shutter isn't sealed)...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Steep

Link Posted 16/02/2014 - 23:01
ilovesaabs wrote:
Hold a K-3 under a running water tap for a few minutes and repeat the exercise with a Canon and the Nikon... then go for the one that still works....even the water-resistant 2300 5D3 is only water resistant up to a point (the shutter isn't sealed)...

Don't do this in the shop!

spinno

Link Posted 16/02/2014 - 23:10
I seem to remember some watch manufacturers doing the old water test in some displays
David

K10D

Link Posted 16/02/2014 - 23:22
Steep wrote:
ilovesaabs wrote:

Don't do this in the shop!

Why not though?

It could be the perfect sales pitch for Ricoh. Compare the top Ricoh DSLR with the non-top Canikons. It would cause lots of Canikon users to jump ship (to drier Ricoh land).

It's a great demonstration of just how water resistant the Ricoh is and if there's no tap nearby you could always improvise but maybe not at the counter.

Best regards

NeilP

Link Posted 16/02/2014 - 23:28
I spotted it today, with the weekend deal the price is now 979 with the 150 35mm lens included, and the PUK3 code brings it down to 929. SO Ive decided to just go for it.

I'll probably sell the 35mm lens as I already have the 35mm macro, so effectively will work out even cheaper
UK Wildlife blog ----- UK Wildlife Facebook page ----- UK wildlife Twitter

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 09:16
only snag is that you'll be joining a lot of other people selling their DA35s Neil....

Decided to hang on to my K-5 for a while longer, tempted to see what the update of the K-3 will look like
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ

cabstar

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 09:59
ilovesaabs wrote:

Can you imagine the warranty claims???

As for pricing, my guess is by keeping the prices high they are making the brand look more luxurious compared to socanikon and more desirable rather than just competing on price which is never a good thing.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

johnriley

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 11:50
It is said that any idiot can sell cheaper or at a loss. The essential thing is to make a profit so things can be kept going, including expensive R&D departments.
Best regards, John

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 13:23
Apparently Canon are unwilling to honour water damage claims on the 5D3 even though they claim water resistance but water damage is confined to just one area within the camera... I have no fears putting my cameras under the shower to wash off sand/dust/salt
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ

LennyBloke

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 13:28
spinno wrote:
I seem to remember some watch manufacturers doing the old water test in some displays

I'm pretty certain that Olympus had a small display unit that trickled water over one of their compacts some years ago - but then again my memory aint wot it used to be
LennyBloke

Blackbeard1

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 18:13
There is nothing wrong with trying to make a brand more luxurious than it is, although I don't think the K3 needs this, but if someone can buy what they perceive to be an equivalent model to the K3 for 200 less, Pentax will lose a sale & instead of making a smaller profit they will make diddly squat & Canon/Nikon/Sony will get the sale, and all that expensive R&D investment is wasted. Don't get me wrong, I think Pentax make some fantastic kit, I am a Pentax fan through & through, but not everyone will see it that way. If you see my earlier post you will read that I am in the market for a K3 body but because of the high prices, I will stick with my beloved K5 & wait until someone can see some sense. I have to say when I bought my K5 I waited quite a long time until prices fell to an acceptable level before I committed. If Ricoh really want to make a dent in the other 3 brands sales, they are not going about it in the right way in my opinion. I have been loyal to Pentax for 40 years & don't intend to jump ship, but there are plenty of others who will go over to the 'dark side' without a second thought, & it would be a shame to lose all those potential sales so early in the K3's life. I hope someone can see the impact of this. Rant over!!. For now!!.
Pentax KX film, K10, K5, K-01, K3.
Lenses:- Pentax 28mm f2.8 SMC - Pentax 135mm f3.5 SMC - 2x Pentax 18-55 kit lenses - Tamron 70-300 - Pentax 55-300 - Pentax 80-200 - Pentax 40mm f2.8 Pancake - Sirius 500mm Mirror lens - Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG - Sigma 10-20 f3.5. Pentax 35mm f2.4.
Various grips/bellows/ext. tubes etc. 2x Interfit EX150 flash heads.
Sunpak Autozoom 4000 Hammerhead flash.
Mamiya C33 TLR with 65mm f3.5 & 180mm f3.5 lenses.
Last Edited by Blackbeard1 on 17/02/2014 - 18:19

cedricd

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 18:49
I would talk with Chris at SRS over the free lens issue. When I bought my K3 a couple of weeks ago I also came away with a bargain on an 18-270
Enjoy life
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.