K3 & F*250-600mm, first test inc. RAW file!

Unlocker

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 22:52
Was a good weekend, the K-3 was dropped in price, there was a K-3 RAW update so I found my way over to Watford first thing Saturday morning to pick up a K-3!

As it was straight back to work, I was out at first light Sunday morning to sit in a bird hide for a while and ending up spending the whole day trying to get to grips with all the new focussing options etc.

There will be more to follow but I just thought that I would get one up now to show the level of detail the new combo could achieve. For the pixel peepers out there I've added a RAW file here for you to play with! Would love to know how this compares to other options out there, so please do have a look and let me know what you think!!

Female Blackbird:-

100% crop! :-

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

davidstorm

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 23:28
Very impressive Danny, I've had a look at the RAW file and it is pretty clean and detailed. That combination of lens and camera seems to work well.

BTW, what do you mean about a 'K-3 RAW Update'?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Unlocker

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 23:51
Cheers David.

davidstorm wrote:

BTW, what do you mean about a 'K-3 RAW Update'?

Sorry, I left out 'for OSX', gives native support for the RAW files to Macs, meaning we can use Aperture / iPhoto for editing etc.

Fletcher8

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 10:28
Danny, I just had to have a play with your RAW file. I hope you don't mind me uploading the edited image.

That FA* Lens you have looks superb in terms of IQ. I am not a bird photographer and when I have tried not had much luck, but i think I will have another go at it sometime. I really enjoyed working on your image Danny and looking through the images on your website.

Regards Fletcher8
Fletcher8.
Last Edited by Fletcher8 on 25/03/2014 - 10:29

gwing

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 10:48
Fletcher8 wrote:
Danny, I just had to have a play with your RAW file. I hope you don't mind me uploading the edited image.

That FA* Lens you have looks superb in terms of IQ. I am not a bird photographer and when I have tried not had much luck, but i think I will have another go at it sometime. I really enjoyed working on your image Danny and looking through the images on your website.

Regards Fletcher8

Sorry Fletcher but that's awful, the original image looks much better. This is way over sharpened and looks like a hard edged cardboard cutout pasted onto the background, and all the tonal subtlety and richness in the original has gone. Female blackbirds just don't look like that.
Last Edited by gwing on 25/03/2014 - 10:49

Fletcher8

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 10:59
Rob, like i said, I am not a birder or bird photographer, I just had a play with the RAW file and this is my take and taste of how i would make it look. I appreciate we all have different tastes, and especially in relation to photography.
Fletcher8.
Last Edited by Fletcher8 on 25/03/2014 - 11:00

Algernon

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 11:09
That's completely the wrong colour for a female blackbird.
The original is correct with regard to colour.

The sharpening round the eye and beak is OK, but as gwing has
pointed out the edge of the bird looks like it's been cut
out with a scalpel.

Danny needs to use another method of reducing the size. The
100% crop shows a lot of detail in the feathers, but they aren't
there in the reduced file

Very nice shot...... females don't stand around very much.

The GPS Location works OK with Exif Viewer v2.00 under
Firefox. Clicking it takes you straight to the location
on a Google Map.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 25/03/2014 - 11:14

Unlocker

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 11:18
@ Fletcher, please do play with the RAW file as I really do want to know what everyone thinks, especially in regards to comparisons with lighter kit! Tripod, head, lens and camera adds up to around 12kg and walking a few miles around a farm that evening totally wiped me out, so a lighter setup is appealing! It's probably worth the sacrifice if the results are there though!

Have to agree with comments on your edit re sharpening though, bit too strong for my tastes along with the colours, might look better if it was larger though? (One of the reasons for the K-3 purchase is that we will be buying a 24" printer to print large more often!)

@gwing, did you have a play with the RAW file? Would appreciate any input!

MattMatic

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 11:23
Thanks Danny!
That's an insane amount of detail and it really isn't going to help me - have been doing a fine job of resisting the K3 upgrade path until now

A little play with LR5 on Mac

100%:

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 25/03/2014 - 11:26

Unlocker

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 11:31
Algernon wrote:

Danny needs to use another method of reducing the size. The
100% crop shows a lot of detail in the feathers, but they aren't
there in the reduced file

Very nice shot...... females don't stand around very much.

The GPS Location works OK with Exif Viewer v2.00 under
Firefox. Clicking it takes you straight to the location
on a Google Map.

--

Thanks Algi!

If you click on the image it should show it at the size I exported it at on my website (image is 960px wide, forum has reduced it to 800px), does that look any better? Guessing that cramming 24mp into a tiny file would be the biggest cause of this but it could be Apertures algorithms? If you have the time, could you run the RAW file through your normal workflow and see if it improves, would appreciate seeing the results as if it's better than maybe I should actually learn Lightroom or Photoshop?

Unusually this one was totally unfazed by us which gave me plenty of opportunity to take a few shots, was about 12-15ft away, so close that I couldn't get her all in at 600mm!

Good to see the GPS data was still in the exif, I knew someone would have a look at it!

Unlocker

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 11:46
MattMatic wrote:
Thanks Danny!
That's an insane amount of detail and it really isn't going to help me - have been doing a fine job of resisting the K3 upgrade path until now

Thanks Matt!

Had resisted quite well myself having skipped the K-5 mk2 models as well, the main thing holding me back was Aperture support and cost and when they changed almost at the same time, the resistance just disappeared!

Quite impressed with the level of detail, hoping for good results when the new printer arrives, also impressed with the moire issue, don't think I can find any, so there's a challenge for Smeggy and Nigel!

Don't suppose there's a lens profile on Lightroom is there?

Darkmunk

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 12:05
Thanks for uploading the Raw Danny. That was interesting to have a play with.
It does look like an extraordinary lens and body combination
Here's my take on it. Adobe Camera Raw. Slight vignette to darken the edges, no noise reduction, vibrancy up, left warm (chearful )
Photoshop gentle USM n original size. Some local sharpening on the eye.
Reduced to 800px using Bicubic sharpen, which for the web, was not entirely successful as the edges look slightly false, but I've left it for you to scrutinise; I think it would print well with this degree of sharpening.
Anyway, back to work

Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

Fletcher8

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 12:14
Hi Danny, 2nd RAW process attempt. As I stated I am not a birder or a bird photographer, I had a look at female blackbird images on the net, so i hope this upload is more to peoples tastes?

Two subtitle Versions

Love your king fisher images.

Regards

Fletcher8. Always aiming to improve.

MattMatic

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 13:20
Quote:
Don't suppose there's a lens profile on Lightroom is there?

Alas no
I even used the Adobe Len Profile Downloader to see if there was anything out there...
You can, however, make your own profiles with the free Lens Profile Creator. It involves creating a test chart, and taking a lot of DNGs at several apertures and focal lengths.
The results of having a suitable profile are, IMO, stunning. The DA12-24 just looks incredible in LR. An old commercial image I was really chuffed with on the K7+DA17-70 that I developed with Silkypix was required for a book - so I ran it through LR using the lens profiles and the difference was astounding.
Not sure how much your F*250-600 would improve though, it's looking pretty fine right now!

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Unlocker

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 13:53
Fletcher8 wrote:
Hi Danny, 2nd RAW process attempt. As I stated I am not a birder or a bird photographer, I had a look at female blackbird images on the net, so i hope this upload is more to peoples tastes?

Two subtitle Versions

Love your king fisher images.

Regards

Fletcher8. Always aiming to improve.

These definately look better but I can't help but wonder if going up to 24MP is causing it's own problems by having so much detail that it doesn't need any sharpening at all for web sized images! Just out of interest, is this the same amount of sharpening you would normal apply for printing say A3 or higher?

Glad you like the kingfisher shots, it's been a couple of years nearly since I last shot them and really want to get some better, closer shots with the K-3!

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.