A Few Effects

McGregNi

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 00:28
I'm not usually into filter effects at all, usually aiming for the true-to-life where possible, but I was exploring some options in Sagelight 4.0, and the results had such an impact that I really want to share them ...

I am making a video project of a visit to Bocketts Childrens Farm recently, with Ms McG and one little McG - I made different versions of a series of shots, with the intention of using them in the video sort of merging and morphing into each other. I know this sort of stuff is probably cliched and hackneyed, but I was genuinely struck by the high quality and sheer impact of the effects. You get an auto starting point but there are many ways to customize the filters and fine tune things.

All with the K7 & DA 18-55WR:

Heres a couple from the entrance to the farm, firstly with the 'straight' shots .....

Now here's the shot with the 'Vintage' look ....

And the 'Painting' ....

Here's another shot at the front ...

And covered in Plastic! ....

And seen through a window ....

As you can see from this next one when I'm not out catching the first blooms of spring, my life is filled with endless extreme sports action....

Ok, so thats not so great - lets not start a debate about the K7s AF tracking, or my wife's camera technique .... but what about the plastic look! ....

or the cartoonish drawing ....

I think they're both an improvement!

Here's a big tractor ....

And the Mosaic look ....

and covered in plastic again ....

and the painting style again...

I enjoyed all this so much that I took a few of my recent spring flower shots, and tried a few effects on those ....

Well, I was amazed at the power lurking under the hood there of this software, which I use mainly as a front-end RAW converter, which it is brilliant at as well. What do you all think?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Jim-w

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 04:51
I LOVE these Nigel
I think the effects are horrible, but I love the fact it's you Nigel that's using and enjoying them.
After reading countless threads where your sole aim always seems to be clinical perfection this is fantastic.
Keep experimenting. And keep going to that fun farm, it's done you good.

All the best.....jim.

gwing

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 06:20
Interesting, but just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 06:37
gwing wrote:
Interesting, but just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

Yes, I should think you've probably got this out of your system now, Nigel.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.† All of them can record what you are seeing.† But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

darkskies

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 07:58
Awful. There are much better effects which should be used sparingly, and when they are apt.

Keep trying though.
This space deliberately left blank.

Algernon

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 10:37
Love the Plastic effect
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

ISO

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 11:03
Despite what some people say I think itís horses for courses. I like the painting for the Farm Entrance and Crocus; and the plastic for the Daffs (which I think is the best rendition). To me the rest of the effects donít seem to match the subject. But hey what fun and thanks for sharing them

McGregNi

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 15:17
Jim-w wrote:
I LOVE these Nigel ... After reading countless threads where your sole aim always seems to be clinical perfection this is fantastic.

Its a new direction its funny you mention quality though - actually, I think part of the appeal to me is that the effects have completely wiped out any technical defects - there's no noise, moire, the smoothness and colours all great! It seems as if the final result doesn't actually show the photo at all - its as if the programme has completely started from scratch and created entirely new textures and shapes, just using the base photos as a guide ... and it is very perfect in doing that

Algernon wrote:
Love the Plastic effect

Me too ! Its certainly made a big improvement on my complexion, much better than all the noise reduction I've ever tried

bwlchmawr wrote:
gwing wrote:

Yes, I should think you've probably got this out of your system now, Nigel.

No, not at all, its only just starting

darkskies wrote:
Awful. There are much better effects which should be used sparingly, and when they are apt.

Keep trying though.

You're right, of course, there are better effects I should have tried - does anyone know of software that can do a clingfilm look ? or tin-foil? brown paper bag look? christmas wrapping?

They are entirely apt though - the presentation here is for some fun, but I'm using them in an animated video title sequence - there are 2 photo frames on screen moving around independently, and the shots sort of morph and transition from the straight to the 'effects' with an animated skaking fade transition between them, so when each new effect emerges from behind the previous one it comes as a surprise. The shots are working really well for this purpose.

Thanks to everyone so far for having a look and a laugh
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 24/03/2014 - 15:17

Darkmunk

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 18:21
I first tried plastic wrap about 20 years ago in photoshop.
Useful then for illustration, but I wouldn't dream if using it on a photo, unless the brief explicitly called for it.
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

MattyH

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 19:29
I don't like the effects at all, Well maybe the plastic

But isn't this what our hobby or any hobby for that matter is all about, trying something new, different and fun, if we never did, it I think it would become quite boring rather quickly.

ISO

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 19:39
Come on Guys - you are quite happy to do lots in PP to change the actuality of a shot, but when it comes to off the wall stuff you get all precious What do people think about what David Hockney created

davidstorm

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 20:10
I can see the merits of using filters like this to morph images in a video, but not so much for individual photos. Unless there is a brief to produce images like this, or a creative reason that makes it valid, there's no compelling reason to do it.

Where this differs from images manipulated by the likes of Autumnlight for example is that these are done just for the sake of it without any serious attempt to match a particular filter or processing technique to the a desired look for the final image. Maria's (Autumnlight) images are the opposite of this, the processing always complements the original image and makes it into something special that it may not have been originally. That is what I call artistry, these are not.

I don't criticise Nigel for doing it and posting them though, each to their own and at least it prompts some discussion and opinion.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Blythman

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 20:14
I think your greens are oversaturated in #9 Nigel
Alan

PPG
Flickr

jemx99

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 21:15
Algernon wrote:
Love the Plastic effect

Yes - that plastic effect is great!

McGregNi

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 21:18
Blythman wrote:
I think your greens are oversaturated in #9 Nigel

I was hoping no-one would spot that Alan, but I guess it just needs some more work - however I'm especially pleased that you didn't find any significant colour noise and that the shadow detail is all intact!
Last Edited by McGregNi on 24/03/2014 - 21:19
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.