K20D write speed

golfdiesel
Posted 03/01/2009 - 17:55 Link
I am currently using Sandisk Extreme-III SDHC cards in my K20D.
Sandisk has now introduced a 30MB/s edition of the SDHC cards, will the K20D benefit from this or is the 20MB/s write speed of the normal extreme-III more then enough for the K20D?
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
Mannesty
Posted 03/01/2009 - 18:00 Link
I think a better question would be, is 20Mb/s fast enough for the user?".

It is for me.

I doubt the camera can write faster than the 20+ fps it is capable of in low res anyway . . . but it'd be good to find out.

Let us know.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
golfdiesel
Posted 03/01/2009 - 18:04 Link
The price difference isn't that big. I think that I will buy one and compare it with a normal Extreme-III
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
scottthehat
Posted 03/01/2009 - 18:08 Link
i would think the 20mb/s would be fine, i had a 30mb/s sandisc for my sony but compact flash, i now use the same as you and i notice no difference.
i expect it will be of benifit for high speed raw shots ie 9fps or more,
and i think the k20d is 3fps raw dng.
just keep snapping,

https://pentaxphotogallery.com/scottbenson


http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/scottthehat/


CAMERAS = k200d + battery grip.
nikon d300 + battery grip.
LENSES = tamron aspherical DII 18-200mm f3.5/6.3,
nikon 18-200mm afs vr f3.5/5.6 g dx
sigma 150-500mm apo dg hsm os
sigma 170-500mm apo dg
FLASH = samsung sef36pzf flash + more.
Edited by scottthehat: 03/01/2009 - 18:10
Anvh
Posted 03/01/2009 - 21:31 Link
With normally shooting you wont notice a diffrence because the camera has a buffer so shooting 6 shots continues will be just as fast with both cards, only if you are really filling the buffer you should/might be able to notice it.
Btw shooting in DNG is faster since the processor of the camera is compressing them less, try it with those please
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
pentaxian450
Posted 04/01/2009 - 00:30 Link
I think that card won't make a difference on the K20D. Right now, the only camera able to take advantage of the faster speed (as far as I could understand from reading some tech reports from Sandisk) is the Nikon D90, which was designed from the onset to take advantage of the "special" technology involved in those cards. I would like to be wrong, but I don't think so...
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Roscoe
Posted 06/01/2009 - 16:38 Link
golfdiesel wrote:
I am currently using Sandisk Extreme-III SDHC cards in my K20D.
Sandisk has now introduced a 30MB/s edition of the SDHC cards, will the K20D benefit from this or is the 20MB/s write speed of the normal extreme-III more then enough for the K20D?
I'm using a 16 Gig card,and everything is fine it's a Dane Elec, and as my PC runs on DDR400 Dane Elec memory, I know that it's good kit.

See the 7 Day shop, for amazing prices!
polchraine
Posted 06/01/2009 - 16:53 Link
One advantage of going to a higher speed card will be downloading to a PC.

Using a USB2 connection which can run at 480Mbps (60MBps) and a 8GB card using a SanDisk micromate or similar.

With a 20MBps version it will take about 6mins 40secs to download all of the images, but with a 30MBps card it will reduce to under 4mins 30secs. That assumes everything is running perfectly.

Yes, it is frustrating waiting for the images to be transferred, so a 30MBps would stop you chewing too many nails/pencils/hairs ...
.
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo