Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo

K20D won't take photo with lens on it - Communication / Mount issue?

Posted 18/01/2014 - 21:22 Link
Hi everyone. I am new here, just registered as I am trying to find out how to fix this K20D that I was given by a friend who was going to throw it away. When he gave it to me, the mount had come off and was attached to the lens. I screwed the mount properly back onto the body. The camera will take a picture no problem without a lens attached, (just white of course) but when I put the 18-55mm that I have on it, it can see the f/stop, but the exposure numbers just flash on and off, and focus will not work, depressing shutter renders a big fat nothing! I have tried the lens on another camera, works fine. Any ideas for me? Thanks!

Daniel C
Mannesty
Posted 18/01/2014 - 21:57 Link
Sounds like the camera has suffered a pretty dramatic trauma. I think it unlikely that you'll fix it, but well done for trying.

From your description, the camera behaves differently whether a lens is attached or not.

From that we can conclude that there is some electrical continuity between lens and body, but probably not all. I suggest investigating the electrical connections to the body mount.

Thing is, if the body has suffered a big enough impact to rip the mount from the body, there is a high probability that something else other than just the mount is damaged.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
dougf8
Posted 19/01/2014 - 08:21 Link
Try in manual mode, and with manual focus set.

A lens with an aperture ring might be handy.

does the auto focus work?
Does the green button stop down metering work?
Does Aperture mode work?
Lurking is shirking.!
gartmore
Posted 19/01/2014 - 13:50 Link
I rather suspect that screwing the mount back on isn't enough, how did you reconnect ann the electrical contacts?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 23/01/2014 - 06:20 Link
Thanks for the answers everyone.

Dougf8, I have tried manual everything, to no avail. No auto focus or A mode. I could get a cheap MF Pentax off eBay to test if that would work, then?

Ken, I did not see anything to reconnect, just screwed it back on. Twice now

Peter, I do not know what happened to the camera. It was going to be thrown away, I saved it. At the very least, I will sell it on eBay for parts and get something...

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.