Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K20D review over at Trusted Reviews

chirpy
Posted 18/04/2008 - 17:36 Link
Nice review over there for those trying to resist
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2008/04/18/Pentax-K20D-digi...

Quote:
Quite simply it produces the sharpest, most finely detailed pictures of any current semi-pro DLSR.

Mike-P
Posted 18/04/2008 - 18:09 Link
The quality of the supplied 18-55mm lens is better than most kit lenses, and produces good edge sharpness with little distortion, but it is a bit prone to chromatic aberration in the corners. This lens has been in use now for over eight years and it is beginning to look a bit weak by modern standards.

I'm suprised the K20D isn't supplied with the MKII version of this lens.
chirpy
Posted 18/04/2008 - 18:17 Link
sockpuppet wrote:

It is, and if you look at the picture on the review it shows it's the mark II. Maybe they actually tested with the old model and didn't realise that there's a new one - seems like a mistake in the review.
Mongoose
Posted 19/04/2008 - 10:38 Link
not to mention the DA 18-55 MKI came out in 2004.

It doesn't take a degree in Maths to figure out that's 4 years, not 8.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
ikillrocknroll
Posted 19/04/2008 - 14:37 Link
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2008/04/18/Pentax-K20D-digi...

Thats the first time i've seen the EDR in practise
I'd say it makes a huge difference,
well done pentax!

And also if you check out the reviewers sidmouth sea front test, and compare it to the D300, the A700, and the 40D, K20D prevails with more details, and sharper.
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M
Daniel Bridge
Posted 19/04/2008 - 14:51 Link
The D300 shot looks awful, but I suspect that's down to the harsh lighting (hope it's not the lens, which is significantly pricier than the Penatx kit one).

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Reuben0
Posted 19/04/2008 - 18:01 Link
chirpy wrote:
sockpuppet wrote:

It is, and if you look at the picture on the review it shows it's the mark II. Maybe they actually tested with the old model and didn't realise that there's a new one - seems like a mistake in the review.

According to the EXIF data of the Sidmouth shot, the mkII version was used.

R
ikillrocknroll
Posted 19/04/2008 - 18:58 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
The D300 shot looks awful, but I suspect that's down to the harsh lighting (hope it's not the lens, which is significantly pricier than the Penatx kit one).

Dan

possibly the white balance too.

im glad that Pentax are supplying pressure.
I infact don't mind Nikon, they have produced two extremely fine cameras (D3, D300). It's just Canon I don't like.
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M
Daniel Bridge
Posted 19/04/2008 - 19:41 Link
ikillrocknroll wrote:
I infact don't mind Nikon, they have produced two extremely fine cameras (D3, D300). It's just Canon I don't like.

Likewise. If I didn't have a Pentax, I'd almost certainly be using Nikon.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
amilner
Posted 20/04/2008 - 17:09 Link
There are reviews in both Practical Photography (four stars) and Digital Camera (89%) this month - both are pretty positive, though both have slight issues with handling (they don't like the need to use the Fn button for ISO setting among other things) and Digital Camera is not impressed with the kit lens, claimimg it to be soft at the edges (maybe they got a bad copy?). They particularly like the features, image quality and innovative features such as EDR
Tony Milner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner
Mongoose
Posted 22/04/2008 - 16:58 Link
amilner wrote:
There are reviews in both Practical Photography (four stars) and Digital Camera (89%) this month - both are pretty positive, though both have slight issues with handling (they don't like the need to use the Fn button for ISO setting among other things) and Digital Camera is not impressed with the kit lens, claimimg it to be soft at the edges (maybe they got a bad copy?). They particularly like the features, image quality and innovative features such as EDR

if they are having to use the Fn key to set ISO, they have not read the manual.

My K10D has ISO set up on the front wheel in all modes except M.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Magnus W
Posted 25/04/2008 - 14:01 Link
Mongoose wrote:
My K10D has ISO set up on the front wheel in all modes except M.

And in every mode you can change ISO by pressing the "ok" button while using the front wheel. At least on my K20d.

-- MW
LX-owner.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.