K20D or K7

nonur

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 10:55
I am a K20D user and am very happy with it. My nephew is 18 and he is about to buy his first DSLR. Would it be reasonable to recommend him a K20 or the new K7? I am asking this after reading the forum about focus problem and complexity of K7.
Regards,
Nezih

robbie_d

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 11:03
I recently made the step up from a K-m and had a decision to make regarding whether I got a K20D or splashed a bit extra cash and got a K7.

In the end I went for the K20D (found a lovely one including grip for 400, cheapest K7 at the time would have been 250 more without grip) because I felt it gave 95%+ of the K7's feature set for around 60% of the cost.

Ergonomics are a key factor as well, and I for one prefer the K20D to the K7 (and I'm not alone in this).

Let me throw a curveball though. You mention it is your nephew's first DSLR, and as such I would recommend having a look at the K-x. Compact body, really user friendly for the first-time DSLR user, and has cracking low light ability. I used the K-x's predecessor (the K-m) as an introduction to DSLRs, then as I grew more confident and knew what I wanted I upgraded to the K20D.

The best bit of advice would also be to get your nephew to a shop where he can get his hands on all of the cameras he's considering, preferably somewhere where the staff can give some useful advice (i.e. thinking more SRS than Currys).
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 02/07/2010 - 11:04

nonur

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 11:12
Thank you, Rob. Your curveball sounds more reasonable for me at this stage; but you know the youngsters, when I started talking about it, his first question was, "Is it professional" that made me laugh. That's why I put K20 vs K7.
Regards,
Nezih
Last Edited by nonur on 02/07/2010 - 11:12

robbie_d

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 11:16
nonur wrote:
Thank you, Rob. Your curveball sounds more reasonable for me at this stage; but you know the youngsters, when I started talking about it, his first question was, "Is it professional" that made me laugh. That's why I put K20 vs K7.

I understand fully!

To be honest I also considered the K-x when upgrading from my K-m, as the improved low-light performance was an attractive proposition.

In the end though, there was too much about the K20D that appealed to me, plus you can get a mint example (boxed with all documents, leads, etc.) for less than the price of a new K-x.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

nonur

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 13:02
On the ebay there not more than 100-150 dollars between K20 and K7. As people say, I think to find the lowest with kit lens can be reasonable. They are much more in UK or anywhere else than USA.
However, going together to a few places would help him better perhaps.
Regards,
Nezih

Mike-P

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 13:04
As your nephew is only 18 the K-7 would probably be better for him because of the video. No doubt he is an avid Youtube watcher and will find the video quite handy. As for being complicated, no more than the K20D really and mine has no focusing problem.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Helpful

nonur

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 13:14
Thank you, Mike! I'had been following that discussion and got mixed. May be that bloke's camera had smt. wrong with it. That could be quite important asset for him, as you say.
Regards,
Nezih

rkt

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 17:16
The complexity with either would not daunt an 18 year-old today ... each successive generation appears to be more tech-friendly ... and I am sure he'd have it all figured out pretty quickly ...
regards,
rkt

Anvh

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 17:42
I bought my first DSLR and with that my first camera at the age off 19 and I bought the K10D.
I was first planning to buy the K100D super at that time but I know I wanted to have the manual controls the K10D offered and went for that.

The first months certainly were taunting and I had a lot off bad photos then but you really learn how to use the camera and modes like P, Av, Tv really help you along the way and it's pretty clear what the camera is doing because you've almost direct feedback since you can see your photos on the LCD screen.
So for photographic matters all cameras are just as taunting and the interface and all the technical options are something that comes very quickly with most of the younger generation.

Just give them the Magic Lantern Guide with the camera. You can see that guide as an extensive Manual with a good or at least better explanation off all the options and how to use the camera.
I bought one with my K10D and it has being a life saver a couple of times and of course he must become a member of this forum, that's also super helpful.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

nonur

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 22:45
Thank you rkt ans Stefan! With the encouragement given by you two and Mike I am now convinced to recommend him again to buy K7, which in fact is the camera I've been thinking of buying later as a second body. However, he'll need my help to read and understand the manual, as his English has not been improved that much yet. This choice, being the newest on the market, will also give him a push to think and try to be more creative.

Regards,
Nezih

Anvh

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 22:59
Nezih with you as his teacher he might be a good photographer in no time
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

nonur

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 23:22
He has already been a member to Ephotozine with his compact. I was amazed to see him commenting on my portfolio there all of a sudden. He actually had taken a very nice shot of me and posted it. I think he's going to be better than me.
Regards,
Nezih

Clayboss

Link Posted 11/07/2010 - 13:28
Hello Nonur, I have used Pentax cameras since the 1970s and love the best ones but find some models frustrating. I loved the 'M' series especially the MX. I found the IST D lot a bit disappointing. I have an IstD2 and used it a lot. I decided to try the K7 and after some hesitation have bought one. It is the best Pentax I have used by far. It is small and although slightly heavier than the 1stD feels good to use. The seals are worth considering. I know Konya quite well, I have called in there several times on my way to Cappadocia.It is a great old city, wonderful architecture,a fascinating bazaar quarter and very friendly people, I even know where to get a cold beer and watch football! The seals cut out a lot of the risk of dust getting into the workings of camera and lenses. I have some quite gritty-sounding lenses after holidays in Turkey, another reason for my buying the K7. I don't know the K20 and KX cameras but I would think , as they are getting a bit cheaper now, that the K7 would be the best choice if you want to encourage him to stick with Pentax.

nonur

Link Posted 11/07/2010 - 23:03
Hello again, David! Thank you for sharing your experience. It's good to know that visited Turkey and Konya. I quite understand how likely it is to get gritty lenses and camera here. K20D might be havier than Nikon and Canon,but when you hold Pentax you immediately feel how robust it is and that gives you confidence. I am very happy with my camera and with the help of people here I have have made him to decide on K7. I have already ordered it from Adorama in the States, as you know cameras are sold there much cheaper than anywhere else. However,
I had a problem with the payment through Paypal, and hopefully will solve it tomorrow. If I cannot, I'll try to buy body (which you can find at a price around 750 dollars) and lense sepaately by direct purchase.

As he has learned about K7 and knows my K20D, he does not want to own any other brand!
Regards,
Nezih
Last Edited by nonur on 11/07/2010 - 23:04

platinum

Link Posted 13/07/2010 - 13:32
about me K20D!
and K7 is more expensive
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.