K20 D body matters
Posted 11/11/2008 - 19:14
Link
Knowing that you should, master Yoda!
Not knowing I do the answer to your question. Suspecting I do that from an alloy of kryptonite and dilithium it is made.
May the force be with you, master Yoda.
Prieni
P.S.: Sorry that I cannot be of real help here as I haven't taken my K20 apart, yet.
Not knowing I do the answer to your question. Suspecting I do that from an alloy of kryptonite and dilithium it is made.
May the force be with you, master Yoda.
Prieni
P.S.: Sorry that I cannot be of real help here as I haven't taken my K20 apart, yet.
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
Prieni's PPG page
Posted 11/11/2008 - 19:14
Link
The K20D has a plastic bodyshell with an underlying chassis frame made from steel. Some of the high(er) end cameras from other manufacturers have a magnesium alloy bodyshell.
I don't think one method of construction really gives a particular advantage over the other though tbh...
I don't think one method of construction really gives a particular advantage over the other though tbh...
Joining the Q
Posted 11/11/2008 - 19:16
Link
It depends what you call the body, the K20 does have a steel chassis (body, if you like) just as the 645 and many others, the top and bottom covers (the bits you touch with the buttons and knobs sticking out) are made of reinforced plastic.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 11/11/2008 - 21:12
Link
Stainless steel chassis and polycarbonate body.
Hyram
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Posted 12/11/2008 - 00:35
Link
I dont care what sort of chassis a camera has, it still wont do it any good if you drop it
I recently got some new reading glasses (with PENTAX lenses ) the optician tried to sell me various coatings to protect them, I said no thank you......
.........the more vulnerable they are the better care I'll take of them
Not that the K20D is vulnerable of course
I recently got some new reading glasses (with PENTAX lenses ) the optician tried to sell me various coatings to protect them, I said no thank you......
.........the more vulnerable they are the better care I'll take of them
Not that the K20D is vulnerable of course
Posted 12/11/2008 - 08:35
Link
impotentspider wrote:
I dont care what sort of chassis a camera has, it still wont do it any good if you drop it
I recently got some new reading glasses (with PENTAX lenses ) the optician tried to sell me various coatings to protect them, I said no thank you......
.........the more vulnerable they are the better care I'll take of them
Not that the K20D is vulnerable of course
So you just got Super-Takumars then?
I dont care what sort of chassis a camera has, it still wont do it any good if you drop it
I recently got some new reading glasses (with PENTAX lenses ) the optician tried to sell me various coatings to protect them, I said no thank you......
.........the more vulnerable they are the better care I'll take of them
Not that the K20D is vulnerable of course
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 12/11/2008 - 20:06
Link
These descriptions sound like build plans for Arnie in the Terminator film series, except no one has yet mentioned the combat alloy.
"Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
My current Harem comprising: "Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax* 135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0, "Lady Gaga & Entourage" Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF], "The Queen" Pentax 500mm F4.5
My current Harem comprising: "Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax* 135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0, "Lady Gaga & Entourage" Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF], "The Queen" Pentax 500mm F4.5
Posted 12/11/2008 - 21:33
Link
kerrowdown wrote:
These descriptions sound like build plans for Arnie in the Terminator film series, except no one has yet mentioned the combat alloy.
I did:These descriptions sound like build plans for Arnie in the Terminator film series, except no one has yet mentioned the combat alloy.
Prieni wrote:
Suspecting I do that from an alloy of kryptonite and dilithium it is made.
That's what combat alloy is...Suspecting I do that from an alloy of kryptonite and dilithium it is made.
Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
Prieni's PPG page
Posted 12/11/2008 - 21:59
Link
I thought the point of a magnesium alloy chassis was to reduce twist and warping caused by the lens hanging off the front of the body. With lighter weight lenses I suspect it wasn't deemed a necessary expense.
An extra strong chassis doesn't affect inertia of the attached components.
Like the new Smart cars just now getting into the States -- being so small, to quell fears of an impact it is stated they "can take a 70mph impact head on".
Well sure, but the internal organs of the passengers will look like yesterday's oatmeal even if their bodies weren't quite squished into a tiny cube!
FYI, the K10D can survive a fall from about a meter with no ill effects. And that was with the rather hefty DA* 50-135 attached.
I would not test that just for the fun of it, but it happened one day anyway. ;-(
Quote:
I dont care what sort of chassis a camera has, it still wont do it any good if you drop it
I have to agree about dropping with significant impact... I dont care what sort of chassis a camera has, it still wont do it any good if you drop it
An extra strong chassis doesn't affect inertia of the attached components.
Like the new Smart cars just now getting into the States -- being so small, to quell fears of an impact it is stated they "can take a 70mph impact head on".
Well sure, but the internal organs of the passengers will look like yesterday's oatmeal even if their bodies weren't quite squished into a tiny cube!
FYI, the K10D can survive a fall from about a meter with no ill effects. And that was with the rather hefty DA* 50-135 attached.
I would not test that just for the fun of it, but it happened one day anyway. ;-(
Posted 12/11/2008 - 22:09
Link
Even a Smart can't survive a collision with a Hummer!
I'd hate to drive a Smart in LA - I was terrified in my bog standard rental car in amongst all those monster trucks.
How does Camera Armor (not combat alloy armour but the thing sold as Camera Armor) work? Does it offer more protection do you think? It makes the camera as ugly as anything so one must assume it does some good or why put it on your camera?
I'd hate to drive a Smart in LA - I was terrified in my bog standard rental car in amongst all those monster trucks.
How does Camera Armor (not combat alloy armour but the thing sold as Camera Armor) work? Does it offer more protection do you think? It makes the camera as ugly as anything so one must assume it does some good or why put it on your camera?
Posted 13/11/2008 - 12:23
Link
Prieni wrote:
Prieni
Aye right enough kerrowdown wrote:
These descriptions sound like build plans for Arnie in the Terminator film series, except no one has yet mentioned the combat alloy.
I did:These descriptions sound like build plans for Arnie in the Terminator film series, except no one has yet mentioned the combat alloy.
Prieni wrote:
Suspecting I do that from an alloy of kryptonite and dilithium it is made.
That's what combat alloy is...Suspecting I do that from an alloy of kryptonite and dilithium it is made.
Prieni
Gwyn, I think it would only protect from minor bumps and scrapes if your lucky
"Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
My current Harem comprising: "Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax* 135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0, "Lady Gaga & Entourage" Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF], "The Queen" Pentax 500mm F4.5
My current Harem comprising: "Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax* 135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0, "Lady Gaga & Entourage" Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF], "The Queen" Pentax 500mm F4.5
Posted 13/11/2008 - 13:05
Link
Quote:
So you just got Super-Takumars then?
So you just got Super-Takumars then?
This thread has reminded me of that Canon DSLR that was involved in a mishap, the one where the lens had ripped the mount from the camera body. It'll be a while now since it was posted.
Been looking for the link but cant find it, dont suppose anyone can remenber the topic title can they?
Posted 13/11/2008 - 13:36
Link
[This thread has reminded me of that Canon DSLR that was involved in a mishap, the one where the lens had ripped the mount from the camera body. It'll be a while now since it was posted.
Been looking for the link but cant find it, dont suppose anyone can remenber the topic title can they?[/quote]Yes I can remember it, can't find it at the mo, Have you seen the guy on youtube: How to clean your Canon sensor uses a Dyson.
Been looking for the link but cant find it, dont suppose anyone can remenber the topic title can they?[/quote]Yes I can remember it, can't find it at the mo, Have you seen the guy on youtube: How to clean your Canon sensor uses a Dyson.
Tel,
Posted 14/11/2008 - 09:52
Link
impotentspider wrote:
This thread has reminded me of that Canon DSLR that was involved in a mishap, the one where the lens had ripped the mount from the camera body. It'll be a while now since it was posted.
Been looking for the link but cant find it, dont suppose anyone can remenber the topic title can they?
Can't find the topic, but there's some pics here. Ouch! This thread has reminded me of that Canon DSLR that was involved in a mishap, the one where the lens had ripped the mount from the camera body. It'll be a while now since it was posted.
Been looking for the link but cant find it, dont suppose anyone can remenber the topic title can they?
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


7 posts
17 years