K20 - is it gone...
Posted 19/05/2008 - 17:48
Link
I had a similar experience with the first K10D I got from Jessops - all black with some purple lines in it. They exchanged it .
Been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED?
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Posted 19/05/2008 - 18:50
Link
Sounds as though it's definitely dead. Unless you've got the lens cap on.
Simplest thing would be to return it to the shop and ask for a replacement. They may well say they'll send it for repair, but with a failure like that, I would push for a replacement instead.
Unfortunately these sorts of problems are bound to happen now and again with electronic equipment, and someone has to be the poor soul who has to deal with it. Hopefully, like Peter, you'll get it sorted soon and then have no further problems.
Dan
Simplest thing would be to return it to the shop and ask for a replacement. They may well say they'll send it for repair, but with a failure like that, I would push for a replacement instead.
Unfortunately these sorts of problems are bound to happen now and again with electronic equipment, and someone has to be the poor soul who has to deal with it. Hopefully, like Peter, you'll get it sorted soon and then have no further problems.
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 20/05/2008 - 14:01
Link
Thanks, and yes, I found myself checking and double checking the lens cap!
Hopefully I will get it replaced. I spoke to pentax who have confirmed its worldwide warranty. I will defiantly push for a repacement rather than a repair.
Im not disapointed or put off pentax tho. the d20 had so far been an excellent camera Im very happy in my choice. A good replacement for my SF7 ( which will have to come out of retirement for a little while). Its just a shame it happened while i'm on holiday!
matt
Hopefully I will get it replaced. I spoke to pentax who have confirmed its worldwide warranty. I will defiantly push for a repacement rather than a repair.
Im not disapointed or put off pentax tho. the d20 had so far been an excellent camera Im very happy in my choice. A good replacement for my SF7 ( which will have to come out of retirement for a little while). Its just a shame it happened while i'm on holiday!
matt
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2 posts
18 years
Today tho, disaster seems to have struck. I took the K20 out to take some shots near the beach. A bunch of local kite surfers were going at it and I thought they would make a great test of the cameras action shot capabilities.
I was shocked when I got home to review my pics that after about 15 shots the photos were all coming out black! After reformatting my card I tried some test shots with the K20 at home and it was the same. After taking the battery out and doing a reset on my settings, I got the same result. Then I tried to use live mode. ( I always use the viewfinder when im snapping) and I dont get any picture, Just a black frame and lines across the screen!!! Arggggg.
I cant imagine whats happened, except a straightforward failure of the cmos. What a nightmare.
I have contacted pentax today to see whet to be doing. But I am gutted that I lost all my snaps of those acrobatic kitesurfers.
I dont suppose any users have had a similar problem?
cheers,
Matt