K2, KX, KM, K1000 ?

Algernon

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 10:36
I also bought a K2 when they first came out and thought it was a great camera. I was surprised to see in AP that Ivor Matanle's 2006 review that AP's original test was not a total success as the shutter speeds showed substantial inaccuracies

Probably worth getting the speeds checked?
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

womble

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 16:36
Algernon wrote:
I also bought a K2 when they first came out and thought it was a great camera. I was surprised to see in AP that Ivor Matanle's 2006 review that AP's original test was not a total success as the shutter speeds showed substantial inaccuracies

Probably worth getting the speeds checked?

If you are intending to use a forty year old camera, a CLA (which would include a shutter speed check) is worth the money IMHO, even when the charge is more than the camera is worth on paper. There are good (and quite cheap) shutter speed testers available on ebay for the DIY inclined.

I've had some of my cameras CLA'ed (my LX, MX, ME Super, ME-F, ESII), some I have just got on with it (especially my ES which seems fine, and the SFXn). I'm umming and ahhhing about whether to send one of the old screw mounts in next (the H2 or the S1a?) or the Program A which has a dodgy shutter button. Oh, and my Horizont panoramic camera needs the seals doing around the swinging lens mechanism. Perhaps I should do that first. Oh, decisions, decisions...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Last Edited by womble on 29/02/2012 - 16:37

microlight2010

Link Posted 05/03/2012 - 11:40
I agree with a comment above: glad that you went with the K2, which was a new chassis from the other ex-Spotmatic K models. Lower in shoulder height than the other Ks and with its lens mount slightly more offset from the centre, it is a very attractive camera. Side by side, it looks to be a mid-way design between the K and M series. My K2 is fitted with a SMC-M 50/1.4 which gives it a great balanced feel. I have large hands and although I used my MX for 20 years without its winder it felt just a little too small (heresy!) but the K2/1.4 is perfect.

K-3II - HD DA20-40 Limited, HD DA55-300PLM, SMC DA10-17 Fishy, AF201FG Flashy

pauljay

Link Posted 20/03/2012 - 17:53
I'm a bit late on this thread - the story of my life - but I do hope you went for the K2. I absolutely adored my K2 which I used for many years, accompanied by a KX. Both cameras retain respected positions within my collection and I shall never be tempted to part with either of them.
Paul.

Photography is not a sport. It has no rules. Everything must be dared and tried! (Bill Brandt)
jaypix
yankee44
PPG
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.