Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K10D newbie

Cherrylicious
Posted 03/08/2007 - 14:36 Link
Hello,

I've been lurking in this forum for a couple of weeks and I must say this forum has been of tremendous help to me. The K10D is my first ever digital camera and I think I will have lots of questions in the coming weeks (I used to shoot with a Nikon F90x).

Today I bought:
K10D body
DA* 50-135 (they received it yesterday)
remote control (I can't believe how small it is. I probably have already lost it!?)
an extra battery
lexar professional 4GB SDHC 133x card

If ever my banker recovers from today, I intend to purchase a 16-45mm in the coming days/weeks and a flash in the coming weeks/months.

I'm soooooooo excited! ^.^

I do have a question about the card. I know I must download a Pentax upgrade but do I have to do something with the card as well?

Well, I better get back to the instruction book.

p.s.: Does it take a long time to get used to the fact that there's no aperture ring on my lens? It feels so strange.
amoringello
Posted 03/08/2007 - 14:48 Link
Quote:

You wrote that just to rub it in didn't you?
Sooo jealous! The stores here don't have them yet. (Hopefully not long after the estimated 15th!)

Do let us know how well it works for ya. Love to see real images and any info on speed, quiteness, water tightness. (OK, you probably wont want to fully test the latter)

Anyway, the SD card should work out of the box. If not, try formatting it, but that should not be necessary.

For the upgrade, you'll copy a file from your PC to the card, follow the instructions, then remove the file from the card. Nothing to it (just be sure your batteries are fully charged).
Pwynnej
Posted 03/08/2007 - 15:31 Link
Welcome and enjoy

If you are referring to firmware upgrade then check on:

www.pentax.co.jp/english select service and then you can find the instructions to download the software....there is an easy task to find out which firmware your camera has (press MENU while turning on camera) if the LCD at the back does not read V1.30 you need to install the firmware from the website.....V1.3 provides support for your new lens :green eye mode:

Wé're a helpful bunch, some of us can get cranky sometimes, so ask questions and show photos with your fabulous new kit...

peter
Cherrylicious
Posted 03/08/2007 - 16:21 Link
Thank you for your warm welcome!

amoringello wrote:
Quote:

You wrote that just to rub it in didn't you?

Moi????

amoringello wrote:
Quote:

Do let us know how well it works for ya. Love to see real images and any info on speed, quiteness, water tightness. (OK, you probably wont want to fully test the latter)

I will post some images sometime this weekend.
It's difficult for me to compare speed because I never really used auto-focus before. I bought one very crappy AF lens for my Nikon eons ago and it was so bad that I ended up using my dad's old manual Nikon lenses.

It's not quiet though; that I can tell you. I don't know how it compares to other AF lenses but you do hear it when doing AF.

As for the waterproof factor, I'll wait for you to test it on August 15!

The lens is not that heavy. Nor is the K10D for that matter. When I was researching everyone was saying how heavy it was. It's not that bad actually (perhaps I was imagining much worse).

Thanks for telling me how to upgrade; that way I don't need to look anywhere else online.

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions soon.

C.
Hyram
Posted 03/08/2007 - 17:31 Link
Cherrylicious wrote:
Hello,

If ever my banker recovers from today, I intend to purchase a 16-45mm in the coming days/weeks and a flash in the coming weeks/months.

As a matter of interest, why the 16-45 lens rather than the DA* 16-50, which is now available here in the UK.

We are still waiting for the DA* 50-135.

Everyone here on the forum is very helpful, so don't worry about asking numerous questions.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Lilly
Posted 03/08/2007 - 18:02 Link
Welcome Cherry, you are in safe hands here, this is a truly wonderful Forum, you will gain so much free help and advice and inspiration for your future time with the K10D. Please please put up some pics as and when...........can I ask are you a lass? It wd be real nice to have a few more on here!
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,
Tyr
Posted 03/08/2007 - 18:07 Link
Lilly wrote:
Welcome Cherry, you are in safe hands here, this is a truly wonderful Forum, you will gain so much free help and advice and inspiration for your future time with the K10D. Please please put up some pics as and when...........can I ask are you a lass? It wd be real nice to have a few more on here!

As soon as I get a K10 for my other half then there'll be an other. Just need a few more lenses first as sharing them will be a pain if we don't have a few more to go around.
Cherrylicious
Posted 03/08/2007 - 21:04 Link
Hyram wrote:

As a matter of interest, why the 16-45 lens rather than the DA* 16-50.

Because I can't afford it

Lilly wrote:
can I ask are you a lass? It wd be real nice to have a few more on here!

Yes I am... in a man's world! ^.^

Tyr wrote:
Just need a few more lenses first as sharing them will be a pain if we don't have a few more to go around.

That's probably a good idea. My husband and I can't share a computer. Thankfully he's not into DSLR.

Here's a pic of myself and my new toy.

Comment Image
colonialgirl
Posted 03/08/2007 - 21:06 Link
Lilly, there are a few more of us feminine types hanging around in the dark corners of these forums - I just have little to say and MUCH to learn!

I must admit to logging on about twice a day - hoping to absorb more from all ya'll!

Joy
Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.
C. S. Lewis
ChrisA
Posted 03/08/2007 - 21:18 Link
colonialgirl wrote:
I just have little to say and MUCH to learn!

Wow. Don't think I've ever heard a woman say that.

(runs for cover)
George Lazarette
Posted 03/08/2007 - 21:37 Link
ChrisA wrote:
colonialgirl wrote:

(runs for cover)

Colonial Girl is no ordinary woman. She's a yarpie. So be polite.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
ChrisA
Posted 03/08/2007 - 21:58 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
ChrisA wrote:
Quote:

(runs for cover)

Colonial Girl is no ordinary woman. She's a yarpie. So be polite.

G

I was being polite. It was an appreciative "wow". Not at all a disbelieving "wow", no, not at all...
Tyr
Posted 03/08/2007 - 22:11 Link
Cherrylicious wrote:
Hyram wrote:

As a matter of interest, why the 16-45 lens rather than the DA* 16-50.

Because I can't afford it

Lilly wrote:
can I ask are you a lass? It wd be real nice to have a few more on here!

Yes I am... in a man's world! ^.^

Tyr wrote:
Just need a few more lenses first as sharing them will be a pain if we don't have a few more to go around.

That's probably a good idea. My husband and I can't share a computer. Thankfully he's not into DSLR.

Here's a pic of myself and my new toy.

Comment Image

The 16-45 is still a fine piece of kit even if it is one stop slower and lacks SDM and weather sealing. It is constantly sharp, has very good resolution characteristics, very well built...

We have to have a computer each, would be impossible otherwise. Have had to share when one or the other has been away for repairs (I'd do it myself but they are laptops and parts are all non standard). We are both into photography, I just got a DSLR first so now she is lagging bahind and waiting. Then again I've been waiting for four years to get a digital camera. Straight from nothing to DSLR (OK I've used a couple of Pentax SLRs but none belonged to me until recently).
fatspider
Posted 04/08/2007 - 00:01 Link
Bonjour Cherrylicous

welcome to the forum, I am not jealous of you new lens.....honest
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
colonialgirl
Posted 04/08/2007 - 03:25 Link
[/quote]

(runs for cover)[/quote]

ChrisA - it's nice to surprise you chaps - gotta keep you all on your toes! Anyhoo, my father always used to say "While the mossies chirp, the Eagle sours above."

P.S. Mossies = Cape Sparrow (Passer melanurus)

Joy

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.