Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K10D & Metz/Pentax flash

chrispy
Posted 22/05/2007 - 18:01 Link
I have just bought a K10D and I have 2 questions.
1) I find my Metz meccablitz 40 MZ-2 isn't fully functional (ie it doesn't work in TTL mode). It worked perfectly with my *ist D and Z1P. Is it me having not read the K10 D instruction book properly, or is it, as I suspect that Pentax have done something to prevent non Pentax Flashguns from being fully functional?
If the latter is correct, I think I'll lash out and buy either an AF360 or 540-FGZ. Although I don't use flash a lot the idea of wireless flash is attractive to me. Now here comes my second question.
2) It seems that to work the wireless flash you need 2 FGZ flashguns, but the firmware upgrade has changed this, but I'm not sure how. Can wireless mode now be used with only one flashgun?.
If anyone can answer these questions, I'd be grateful.
Daniel Bridge
Posted 22/05/2007 - 18:54 Link
Hi Chrispy!

1) The K10D doesn't support TTL flash, only the P-TTL variety. It's not that your flash isn't a Pentax, it's just that it's now considered old technology...

2) Yes, you only need one 360 or 540 flash to benefit from wireless flash, the pop up flash on the K10D can be used to control the firing of the wireless gun. The pop-up can also be set to contribute to the overall exposure, or simply to tell the gun what to do.

Hope the helps,
Dan
chrispy
Posted 22/05/2007 - 19:26 Link
Thanks Dan, that's most helpful.

It looks like it'll be a Pentax flash for me!

Chrispy
George Lazarette
Posted 22/05/2007 - 21:31 Link
The ability of the camera to fire the remote flash using the pop-up flash is a recent improvement (dependent on your upgrading the firmware), and unless Pentax have updated the manual, you will not find it mentioned.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
chrispy
Posted 23/05/2007 - 08:50 Link
Thanks, G

The notes with the upgrade aren't terribly explicit, but I understand it better now.
Chrispy

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.