K100D Super, newbie.
Posted 05/10/2008 - 22:48
Link
What you are hearing is the shake reduction mechanism. Not sure exactly what is moving but its has been discussed at length by the forum.
I'm sure you have nothing to fear. Enjoy your new purchase.
I'm sure you have nothing to fear. Enjoy your new purchase.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 05/10/2008 - 23:18
Link
What SD cards is a matter of judgement, but personally I would use the best quality branded cards and restrict the size to no more than 1 or 2 GB.
The reasoning is that the best quality cards have less chance of failure (and are cheap enough these days anyway). How frustrating would it be to spend a days photography and then find that the card is corrupted and you can't access the images? Buy quality for this reason.
As for size, the bigger the card the larger the number of images that could potentially be lost at one time should the card fail, be lost or stolen. I use lots of cards from 256MB to 2GB in size, most of them being 512MB or 1GB. 512MB cards are quite useful in that the contents happily transfer to one CD for archiving purposes.
The reasoning is that the best quality cards have less chance of failure (and are cheap enough these days anyway). How frustrating would it be to spend a days photography and then find that the card is corrupted and you can't access the images? Buy quality for this reason.
As for size, the bigger the card the larger the number of images that could potentially be lost at one time should the card fail, be lost or stolen. I use lots of cards from 256MB to 2GB in size, most of them being 512MB or 1GB. 512MB cards are quite useful in that the contents happily transfer to one CD for archiving purposes.
Best regards, John
Posted 05/10/2008 - 23:19
Link
Hi Clarky,
thanks for putting my mind at rest
Do you have any advice for the memory card? Are most brands and sizes of SDHC compatible? I was thinking of a 4GB or 8GB but want to make sure the brand is compatible.
Cheers
Kree
thanks for putting my mind at rest
Do you have any advice for the memory card? Are most brands and sizes of SDHC compatible? I was thinking of a 4GB or 8GB but want to make sure the brand is compatible.
Cheers
Kree
Posted 05/10/2008 - 23:21
Link
I think that noise comes from the dust removal mechanism rather than the shake reduction mechanics. Whichever, you are not the first to be alarmed by it. It's perfectly normal.
Sandisk Extreme III SDHC cards are my preference. Get one which includes the 'micromate' reader. Older SD card readers can't deal with SDHC. For your camera, I'd stick with smaller (2Gb max) SD cards because they are cheaper.
Sandisk Extreme III SDHC cards are my preference. Get one which includes the 'micromate' reader. Older SD card readers can't deal with SDHC. For your camera, I'd stick with smaller (2Gb max) SD cards because they are cheaper.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 05/10/2008 - 23:29
Link
Thanks John, very good advice, now I know what I'm after.
Thank you both for your help and advice, me tips hat
You too Mannesty and anyone else who replies, great forum.
Cheers all
Thank you both for your help and advice, me tips hat
You too Mannesty and anyone else who replies, great forum.
Cheers all
Posted 05/10/2008 - 23:30
Link
If it's the same quiet "slide thunk" as you get with the K10D, then the noise is the sound of the sensor as it flops from one side of its unrestrained travel to the other.
I investigated this, with the lens off and the mirror up, and watched as the sensor flopped to the side, making the slide-thunk noise as it did so.
No longer any question about this, AFAIC.
As others have said, it's completely normal.
I investigated this, with the lens off and the mirror up, and watched as the sensor flopped to the side, making the slide-thunk noise as it did so.
No longer any question about this, AFAIC.
As others have said, it's completely normal.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 05/10/2008 - 23:32
Link
Kree wrote:
Do you have any advice for the memory card? Are most brands and sizes of SDHC compatible? I was thinking of a 4GB or 8GB but want to make sure the brand is compatible.
All brands of SD card will be compatible with your camera, but not all card readers are compatible with HC ones (cards over 2 GB).Do you have any advice for the memory card? Are most brands and sizes of SDHC compatible? I was thinking of a 4GB or 8GB but want to make sure the brand is compatible.
If you're in the UK, I can recommend www.play.com for Sandisk cards.
~Pete
Posted 06/10/2008 - 09:04
Link
Mannesty wrote:
I think that noise comes from the dust removal mechanism rather than the shake reduction mechanics.
[whispers]Er, Peter, it's the same thing.[/whispers]I think that noise comes from the dust removal mechanism rather than the shake reduction mechanics.
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


125 posts
18 years
Hertfordshire
I have noticed that when I rotate the camera to the portrait position I can hear and feel something move inside the camera, this also occurs if I position the camera for an overhead shot, do you know if this is normal? I have inserted the batteries and it seems to switch on ok.
I have been unable to fully test the camera as I need a memory card. Which brings me to my next question. What SDHC cards and sizes would you recommend for this camera? Thanks in advance for your help.