K100D shutter fault (video)

dtnl

Link Posted 02/06/2014 - 11:58
Hello.

My very beloved K100D has developed a fault where the shutter keeps flapping intermittently as soon as I shut the battery compartment. I can't access any menus/functions of the camera and it's rendered unusable.

I've uploaded some video here: Video of K100D shutter issue

Does anybody have any idea what might have caused it? It started happening randomly after I changed SD card. The camera hasn't suffered any damage that I know of.

If it's not something obvious, can anybody recommend a repairer - will it even be worth it or should I just get rid?

I love this camera. I'm only a dabbler but I miss it already.

charlottef

Link Posted 02/06/2014 - 12:08
Ah - I know that sound well.

Google Pentax Mirror flip, or just mirror problem.

It happened to my Kr and my K5 it seems to be a common problem people are having similar issues with the K3 as well.

Both my cameras had to go back to Pentax to have work done on them I can't remember what was done to the Kr but the K5 had to have a new diaphragm fitted.

How many actuations has the camera ?

Good luck,
Charlotte

RussV

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 09:11
It sounds more severe than the 'mirror flap' issue. I'd try removing everything, SD card, lens and batteries. Wait a minute or two then insert batteries only and turn on. If this fails then it's probably a repair job. Trouble is the current low used value of a K100D body means it would be cheaper to buy a replacement. You may even get a better secondhand camera for the repair price.
www.russv.me.uk
Last Edited by RussV on 03/06/2014 - 09:12

davidrobinson

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 13:33
Just a long shot but have you tried a different battery and or SD card.

dtnl

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 13:38
I have tried various different batteries and SD cards.

I suspected that it might not be worth the repair. Maybe it's time to upgrade then.

Thanks for your help. I'm not a heavy user at all - just family photos mostly - I've had the camera for about 7 years. Gear in the digital age just doesn't seem to be built to last.

JohnX

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 16:34
No guarantee this'll work, but it's free.

Take the battery out and leave it out for at least 24 hours, during which time any internal stored charge will hopefully have dissipated fully.

You're ideally looking for the camera to require input of date, etc, which will mean that the internal memory should have been erased.

If this doesn't work, leave the battery out 48 hours, etc.

What we're looking for is the camera to 'forget' everything including, hopefully, it's confusion!

Good luck.
Last Edited by JohnX on 03/06/2014 - 16:38

davidrobinson

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 17:34
JohnX wrote:

Take the battery out and leave it out for at least 24 hours, during which time any internal stored charge will hopefully have dissipated fully.

You're ideally looking for the camera to require input of date, etc, which will mean that the internal memory should have been erased.

What we're looking for is the camera to 'forget' everything including, hopefully, it's confusion!

Good luck.

Its well worth a try I've fixed various haywire electronic devices by doing just this, including car radios etc.
Voltage spikes can cause all sorts of problems.
In addition to the above, switching the camera on/off a few times and pressing shutter and other controls with the battery removed may help to dissipate power from circuits, capacitors etc.

Kree

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 17:35
JohnX wrote:

Good luck.

+1

And if that doesn't work - if it's the 100D and not the Super, perhaps try installing/re-installing the firmware.

dtnl

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 17:36
Cheers all, I'll give some of those a try. is the firmware relatively easy to update?

JohnX

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 18:18
dtnl wrote:
Cheers all, I'll give some of those a try. is the firmware relatively easy to update?

Yes, but really you need the rear LCD working, and from your video neither LCD seems to be showing anything.

If we can stop the shutter problem then we can move on to firmware upgrade.
Last Edited by JohnX on 03/06/2014 - 18:19

dtnl

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 18:34
yeah. the camera is completely unresponsive when I switch on. Just that shutter issue and nothing else works. Will try giving it a rest and then see what happens. Thanks.

sbrads

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 19:05
Another but less likely possibility is moisture inside the camera affecting a circuit board. The camera may have been nowhere near water but our sweaty palms can do some mischief on an unsealed camera like the K100D. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to take dead TV remotes apart to wipe the goo off the button contacts.

Take the lens off and put the K100D (loosely wrapped in lint free cloth to stop too much dust getting in)into an airing cupboard for a couple of days to see if it helps - my K100D that I bequeathed to my daughter had weird things happening, no AF, lockups etc that went away after doing this.

Kree

Link Posted 03/06/2014 - 22:47
Sorry I should have watch the video before commenting - looks like updating the firmware is going to be difficult at this stage
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.