K100D Dead

megelliemaniac

Link Posted 21/06/2012 - 18:56
After using my trusty K100 a couple of weeks back and leaving it switched on, after going to 'standby' it started making a strange ticking noise (a bit like the AF working, but coming from the body). It then displayed a low battery, which I changed, and since then has refused to power on. Tried various battery combinations, but refuses to display anything at all!

Left it without power for several days (on holiday!) but still the same - changed batteries a few times, no difference - faint ticking from camera body , with or without lens attached but nothing on any display!

Anyone have an idea as to the problem and how to solve it? No previous faults, always been reliable til now!

Mannesty

Link Posted 21/06/2012 - 22:52
Sounds like you've tried all the tricks that we here might have suggested.

Modern DSLR's are incredibly complicated bits of kit so I'd suggest sending it off for repair, or look at replacing it.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

megelliemaniac

Link Posted 24/06/2012 - 21:31
Thanks for the reply Mannesty. Getting nowhere fast with the K100, also no reply from Pentax helpdesk (is that normal??) so now looking to upgrade. Kr or possibly K5, as long as SWMBO doesn't find out the price

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/06/2012 - 22:32
megelliemaniac wrote:
Thanks for the reply Mannesty. Getting nowhere fast with the K100, also no reply from Pentax helpdesk (is that normal??) so now looking to upgrade. Kr or possibly K5, as long as SWMBO doesn't find out the price

Considering 2 of the 3 days that have passed since your post have been a weekend I would think it is quite normal. From the sound of it Pentax will only tell you to send it in to Johnsons for a look anyway and they will no doubt give you a quote which will be well above the value of the camera.

Better start looking at that K-5 methinks.
. My Flickr

megelliemaniac

Link Posted 25/06/2012 - 08:36
Thanks for reply Mike, actually contacted Pentax helpdesk over a week ago and re-sent on Friday to try and get a response! But, as you say, they will most likely advise to send away for an extortionate repair bill. K5 is looking more inviting.

megelliemaniac

Link Posted 28/06/2012 - 22:55
Reply from Asahi Photo suggests that it is the motherboard at fault and repair may be ' uneconomic '

NO reply from Pentax ( Johnsons ) gives the impression that they dont give a toss for their customers - after all, this camera is only 4 years old - not an expected life span for a modern SLR?

Makes me wonder if the K5 is a good route, especially after reading of the various problems with it!!

cabstar

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 00:31
4 years is a lifetime in digital technology. 4 years use out of digital slr I feel is good going.

For a body who. Originaly cost around 250 that equates to just over a pound a week, excellent value. Do people still keep tvs and washing machines for that length if time? I know I don't...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

whatsthisbuttondo

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 08:50
Ihave canon eos 1n from eighties still going strong i take it digital cameras have shorter shelf life?

petrochemist

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 12:28
megelliemaniac wrote:
Reply from Asahi Photo suggests that it is the motherboard at fault and repair may be ' uneconomic '

NO reply from Pentax ( Johnsons ) gives the impression that they dont give a toss for their customers - after all, this camera is only 4 years old - not an expected life span for a modern SLR?

Makes me wonder if the K5 is a good route, especially after reading of the various problems with it!!

I'm not suprised the repair is uneconomic, labour alone would probably be getting on for the cost a replacement K100 from e-bay.

Whilst 4-years is a long time in digital tech (as cabstar points out) I think you've been unlucky to have it die so soon. There are certainly still people using the *istD. [Yes Gary people do still keep TVs etc that long. We've had our main TV more than 4 years & we got it second hand! Our second TV is over 15 years old]

How much use did it get?
On occation I've shot over 1000 pictures in one day, though my average will be much lower (under 100?)
With film I'd expect there are few enthusiasts that shoot as much as 1 film a week - Which works out at 1800 shoots a year for a trigger happy enthusiast (I never shot more than 500/year with film).
Your K100 may well have taken more pictures than Peter's Canon EOS 1n!
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio
Last Edited by petrochemist on 29/06/2012 - 12:35

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 12:47
cabstar wrote:
Do people still keep tvs and washing machines for that length if time? I know I don't...

You're not telling me you buy a new washing machine every four years, Gary!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

JAK

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 13:16
cabstar wrote:
4 years is a lifetime in digital technology. 4 years use out of digital slr I feel is good going.

So you're about to replace the GX20 then? Four years old next month!

Folk using early Pentax film cameras haven't seen the need to ditch them after four years thank goodness.

John
John K

megelliemaniac

Link Posted 29/06/2012 - 21:07
I'm not suprised the repair is uneconomic, labour alone would probably be getting on for the cost a replacement K100 from e-bay.

Whilst 4-years is a long time in digital tech (as cabstar points out) I think you've been unlucky to have it die so soon. There are certainly still people using the *istD. [Yes Gary people do still keep TVs etc that long. We've had our main TV more than 4 years & we got it second hand! Our second TV is over 15 years old]

How much use did it get?
On occation I've shot over 1000 pictures in one day, though my average will be much lower (under 100?)
With film I'd expect there are few enthusiasts that shoot as much as 1 film a week - Which works out at 1800 shoots a year for a trigger happy enthusiast (I never shot more than 500/year with film).
Your K100 may well have taken more pictures than Peter's Canon EOS 1n![/quote]

It had been used very lightly - that is the most annoying thing. Last shot taken would have been 1502 !! My telly (50" Plasma)is about the same age and is used about 14 hours a day, without fault. I have a portable TV that is now over 20 years old and still performs faultlessly ( and NO, it's not monochrome!!) My ME Super, though confined to a cupboard, still performs well - the only reason I have any faith in Pentax.

Whinge over, just going to jump on my penny farthing and head to the shops!

Appreciate the replies chaps.

BTW, having looked around for K5, it appears that warranty varies between retailers - Jessops have it as 1 year (and sell you 3 years for 120!) whilst Clifton and SRS claim 2 years. What is 'normal' warranty period??
Last Edited by megelliemaniac on 29/06/2012 - 21:12
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.