K1000 age

Jane Doe

Link Posted 05/02/2008 - 17:02
I have a Pentax K1000, can anyone give me some idea as to it's age? On the base there is a nunber, 7367337. I assume this to ba a serial number? Regards. J.H.S.

johnriley

Link Posted 05/02/2008 - 17:26
Hi Jane

Welcome to the forum.

The K1000 was produced in huge numbers from 1976 up to the 1990s. Unfortunately serial number ranges for Pentax are not very well reported so narrowing it down is difficult, apart from noting that early cameras had metal top plates and I understand that late models were plastic.

Hope that helps!
Best regards, John

stevejcoe

Link Posted 05/02/2008 - 17:52
I can't help you with the exact age I'm afraid . FYI The K1000 was first produced in 1976 and continued in production until 1997

I found an early looking example (all metal and Asahi Pentax on the pentaprism) with a serial number 7684766

The original production was in Japan, moved to Hong Kong and then again moved to China (cc1990). The original camera (made in Japan) is all metal , whereas the later model (made in China) has a number of cheaper plastic components.

As far as I am aware the serial numbers are not coded and do not provide much by way of insight into the year and place of manufacture

Steve

Jane Doe

Link Posted 05/02/2008 - 21:24
Thank you for your contributions. From the information you have given it would appear to be an early one. It is all metal and has "Asahi Pentax" on the Pentaprism. It is unmarked and in very good, if not, mint condition, including the case and original strap. I have put two films through it and am happy with the results. I am looking to sell it. Could you advise on the best course to take, peferably not e-bay. Thank you and regards. J.H.S.

johnriley

Link Posted 05/02/2008 - 22:00
The advantage of eBay is that you can sell to the whole world and for a mint camera there will be many purchasers far and wide.

You can also advertise it here in the Classifieds section of the forum. A picture and a detailed description of what is included would help.

As for price, then a copy of Amateur Photographer will give you lots of adverts indicating dealer prices and your price for a private sale should be somewhat lower. eBay will also give a good idea of price levels.

Good luck with the sale.
Best regards, John

digikid-tv

Link Posted 06/02/2008 - 00:13
In case there is some form of sequence in the issue of serial numbers, it might be useful to you to know that I purchased my K1000 serial number 7514336 new in June 1977.

I believe that only the early cameras have a raised circular dimple in the top panel between the film rewind and the prism housing, mine certainly does. The later cameras (the majority produced) had a smooth top panel.

Incidentally, I seem to remember it costing around 127, including the standard 55mm f2.0 lens and an ever ready case, which was an awful lot of money to me back then!
John

Jane Doe

Link Posted 06/02/2008 - 09:26
Thank you for your reply. Yes my camera is as you describe yours. It is a shame to let it go but, good as it is, and fond of it as I am, I feel limited by the fact that I only have the standard 1:2, 55mm lens. I also have a digital SLR and an old Fujica, which looks remarkably like the K1000!! The advantage with the Fuji is that I got it with 4 lenses and a 2X converter which makes it much more versatile. I have contacted a company from north of the border who specialize in "Classic Cameras" who are intermittently feigning disinterest whilst e-mailing every 2/3 days asking if I have made my mind up!!!!!! which leads me to believe that there must be someone out there who would be interested. Regards. J.H.S.

johnriley

Link Posted 06/02/2008 - 09:31
Just a thought, the Fuji as a collection might be of more interest to a Fuji collector/user as Fuji lenses are relatively rare. If you sold that kit you could obtain some more Pentax lenses and end up with a better quality kit.

If the Fuji body fails then replacing it with another good one could be more difficult than having the pentax repaired/replaced if you ever needed to.
Best regards, John

Jane Doe

Link Posted 06/02/2008 - 09:46
I note your comments and agree that on one level it would make sense. However the Fuji body and lenses, whilst working perfectly, are shabby by comprison to the K1000 and I doubt they would yield much. Not that my dilemma is merely about money I hasten to add!! Regards. J.H.S.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.