K10 raw in PSE v8 - Colour problem

El Dingo

Link Posted 13/07/2010 - 14:02
I have the problem that when I drag a raw image over from Pentax Photo Browser v4 into Photoshop Elements the colours (particularly blue it seems to me) go awry.

If I open the image in Pentax Photo Browser the image is displayed correctly.
If I convert the image to jpg in Pentax Photo Lab the image is displayed correctly.
If I open this jpg in Photoshop Elements 8 the image is displayed correctly.
It's only when I open the raw files in Photoshop that the colours go wild!

Dragging the raw file into Elements opens a 'Camera raw' window, which has various adjustment tabs with sliders. What ever adjustments I make in this window, I cannot seem to replicate/keep the correct colours.

So, at the moment, I have to process the raw files in Pentax Photo lab, then open and edit them in Photoshop.

What on earth am I doing wrong? Any help/guidance would be appreciated!
El Dingo - K3-II and K10D

MattMatic

Link Posted 13/07/2010 - 14:23
I'm not sure, but it may be that Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) with PSE 8 is not reading the preset information correctly. Pentax Photo Browser obviously will read the settings and pre-apply them to the RAW.

Someone once said there was an issue with DNG files in ACR like this... which RAW format are you using? PEF or DNG?

Also - check whether there are any upgrades on ACR from Adobe

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

El Dingo

Link Posted 13/07/2010 - 21:12
Hi Matt,

I'm using PEF at the moment, exclusively since buying PSE about three weeks ago (my daughter has the Samsung...).

I've checked and updated ACR - no change.

General request!

Any other PSE users out there can verify this problem, or otherwise?
Thanks for any feedback.

MattMatic

Link Posted 13/07/2010 - 22:09
I'm not sure it sounds rather odd... alas, I don't have PSE8

If you want to email a PEF file I can try it on PS-CS2 and some other RAW converters.

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

amoringello

Link Posted 14/07/2010 - 11:04
How much awry is it?

Do the colors also go awry when you open them directly from PSE rather than through Pentax Browser? It sounds like they are OK but changes you make in Camera RAW do not stay when finally opened in PSE?

Dunno if PSE has any similar behavioral problems as its bigger brother CS, but PhotoShop can have some really bizarre issues when the user preferences get screwed up. Some time ago I could draw ONLY in Blue... even on gray scale images, masks and channels!! Took me a week to get the issue resolved!
More recently one single feature would repeatedly crash.

Removing the preferences files fixed the problems in both instances. (note that simply uninstalling and reinstalling PS/PSE had no effect since the preference files still remained)
It might be worth contacting Adobe if you cannot find the preference files and see if that helps in any way.

Gwyn

Link Posted 14/07/2010 - 12:03
Camera RAW in PSE does not handle PEF files well in my experience. I see it all the time with mine in PSE6. In my case the colours are muddied and dull, with the greens especially being tricky to get right. The RAW photo looks great in the Organiser but once it's been through Camera RAW it is completely different, even when the original didn't need much, or any work. The standard for PEFs seems to be wrong and it takes a lot to get it right. It can be extremely frustrating.

If you are happy to continue using Pentax Photo Browser for the RAW conversion, and PSE for the other tweaks I would do that.

It is one reason I was looking at Bibble.

El Dingo

Link Posted 14/07/2010 - 13:24
Thanks for the replies:

amoringello - I have tried opening the files directly, but it makes no difference. What appears in ACR is transferred into PSE, so if I use ACR the colours are wrong.
I'll delete the preferences file and let PSE re-create it when I get home, and see if this makes any difference.

Gwyn - I noticed the blue especially, as ACR turns it greeny/blue, and by fiddling around with the ACR settings, I could make the blue look almost correct. But as you said, the greens still look muddied and dull.

I might have to do as you suggest, and convert everything in Photo Browser first. What I wanted to do with PSE was make all my adjustments before converting to JPG. Perhaps I could try converting to uncompressed TIF and see if this displays properly?

Mongoose

Link Posted 14/07/2010 - 13:59
if the problem is that Pentax Lab doesn't provide enough power in terms of a RAW converter, there are a number of other fine options, some of which are free.

I like RawTherapee which is free and has the option of sending the result directly to GIMP (in theory it can do this with other editors, but I've never tried it since GIMP is what I use).
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Gwyn

Link Posted 14/07/2010 - 15:29
Mongoose your link just leads back to this thread.

terje-l

Link Posted 14/07/2010 - 19:06
Just opened a couple of RAW images in ACR/PSE 8. The colours seem OK to me.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

Gwyn

Link Posted 14/07/2010 - 19:08
Interesting Terry. What camera do you have?

Maybe the newest ACR (which I can't download having PSE6) is better?

terje-l

Link Posted 14/07/2010 - 19:10
K20D and K200D, both behaving good, using the latest camera decoders downloaded from Adobe.

Btw, I liked the user interface better in PSE6 than in PSE8.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

Gwyn

Link Posted 14/07/2010 - 19:17
Well my K20D is a mess with ACR.

Just had a look at some from the Ist Ds and they too are a mess.

I have ACR 5.5. Can't load anything later that that .

I'll just have to wait for PSE9, surely it must be coming soon?

El Dingo

Link Posted 15/07/2010 - 19:17
Update!

Problem solved - I re-installed Elements, updated (including ACR; same version as I tried before) and re-set the preferences.

The colours are now much more 'reasonable' and I've been able to make adjustments and set a default that's acceptable.

Thanks for the help and comments!

Regards,
Dingo.
Last Edited by El Dingo on 15/07/2010 - 19:19

Gwyn

Link Posted 15/07/2010 - 19:23
Glad to hear it. Looks like I might have to get PSE8 after all .
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.