K1 or K3ii

cedricd
Posted 07/04/2017 - 18:49 Link
Thanks for all the info folks. I think the answer came earlier today with a price hike on the K1 to just shy of £2k. Crazy when I could have bought one last week for £1599. It was waiting for the insurance that stuffed me. £400 for a K5, K3, 2 batteries , an 18-55 and 3 s d cards. So much for travel insurance.
Enjoy life
JAK
Posted 07/04/2017 - 19:48 Link
That's odd isn't it. They're cheaper in the states despite the fact the dollar is worth less than the pound. Seems Ricoh are having a laugh and have their conversion rates the wrong way round. ($1795 at B&H is equivalent to £1450, less than the UK initial price.)
John K
Edited by JAK: 07/04/2017 - 19:50
smudge
Posted 07/04/2017 - 20:40 Link
RobL wrote:
Trust me, the Sigma 150-500 will leave a tiny scratch, as I suspect all Sigmas do; it is to do with the width of the mount which I imagine is the same on all their lenses. Put a standard Pentax rear lens cap on the mount and see how much is left exposed, but they will replace it for free so why not get it done? I had excellent sharp images from mine on the K1 so if you send it away presumably it will get whatever upgrade is needed.
There is no question that I should get the effected lenses fixed - however it is not the case that all Sigma lenses have the same size mount; many, if not most, fit on the K1 without modification. I have just returned home after a day travelling (hence the slow response) and have measured the width of the mount on the Sigma lenses that I have (all measurements are approximate as I cannot locate my measuring callipers at the moment).
70-200 66mm
50-150 66mm
150-500 65mm
18-35 63mm
17-70 62mm
12-24 61mm
24-70 60mm
24 prime 60mm

Of course Sigma have produced various versions of some lenses so these measurements may not hold true for all versions.
Regards, Philip
Edited by smudge: 07/04/2017 - 20:49
RobL
Posted 07/04/2017 - 20:45 Link
cedricd wrote:
Thanks for all the info folks. I think the answer came earlier today with a price hike on the K1 to just shy of £2k. Crazy when I could have bought one last week for £1599. It was waiting for the insurance that stuffed me. £400 for a K5, K3, 2 batteries , an 18-55 and 3 s d cards. So much for travel insurance.
Still £1799 in a number of shops. Easter weekend deals coming?
cedricd
Posted 07/04/2017 - 20:56 Link
Off to WEX tomorrow, they still have K3ii at a sensible price but still in a quandary. Maybe put K30 in part ex plus the insurance for a K1.
Enjoy life
Mag07
Posted 07/04/2017 - 21:02 Link
If it was me it would be a K1 or wait for a K3II successor. K1 offers image quality beyond anything else outside medium format. As for K3II, it's close with the KP, despite being a different class of equipment. Personally, I would not buy it now. I'd wait for it's successor if I could, or did not want to go for the K1.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
smudge
Posted 07/04/2017 - 21:02 Link
RobL wrote:
cedricd wrote:
.
Still £1799 in a number of shops. Easter weekend deals coming?
I think so. Lens prices seem to be at their highest at the moment in preparation for Easter deals, so the same may well be true for camera bodies as well. Better to wait a few days.
Regards, Philip
cedricd
Posted 07/04/2017 - 21:16 Link
I like the option of a moveable screen as I always find it useful on my NX300`s. Then again I prefer to have the LCD display on top too. Must admit to liking the K3 IQ and AF. A big improvement on the K5. I can`t wait too long as it`s hols in a couple of weeks.
Enjoy life
smudge
Posted 07/04/2017 - 22:01 Link
Yes the moveable screen is a definite plus. The 3 dials are a good feature too - less delving into menus. The top screen is still there, just smaller.
Regards, Philip
Posted 07/04/2017 - 22:30 Link
Noticed the price had gone up to £2000 at a few places, maybe in anticipation of deals but I don't expect much more deal wise than the standard £200 we've seen almost weekly which still makes it £1799
Mag07
Posted 07/04/2017 - 22:43 Link
Even SRS....that's rather disappointing. Thought there was at least one shop you could count on providing honest service.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
jemx99
Posted 07/04/2017 - 22:45 Link
Things are getting TOO expensive!
Algernon
Posted 08/04/2017 - 08:24 Link
RobL wrote:
cedricd wrote:
Thanks for all the info folks. I think the answer came earlier today with a price hike on the K1 to just shy of £2k. Crazy when I could have bought one last week for £1599. It was waiting for the insurance that stuffed me. £400 for a K5, K3, 2 batteries , an 18-55 and 3 s d cards. So much for travel insurance.
Still £1799 in a number of shops. Easter weekend deals coming?
Isn't that against the law . I seem to remember that they couldn't promote a price reduction until the higher price had existed for 30 days (or was it 6 months? )

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Chris@SRSWATFORD
Posted 08/04/2017 - 09:55 Link
Mag07 wrote:
Even SRS....that's rather disappointing. Thought there was at least one shop you could count on providing honest service.
I'd like to think that we do - it's not something we are doing on purpose!

Price rises are happening from all manufacturers. We've had two from Nikon and three from Canon over the last six months. Sigma went up in March.

Pentax increased the price of some products on the 1st April, so anything I now buy is at the new price, hence the price rises.

We will be doing Easter specials, but these will not be on products that have risen in price.

There are also some promotional activities starting on Monday which will help to soften the blow slightly.

As always, if anyone is after anything, then please speak to me and I'll see what deal we can come up with!
For all things Pentax please visit www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - anything not listed please email or call!

Follow us on Facebook
Edited by Chris@SRSWATFORD: 08/04/2017 - 10:02
MrB
Posted 08/04/2017 - 10:38 Link
Mag07 wrote:
Even SRS....that's rather disappointing. Thought there was at least one shop you could count on providing honest service.
I expect those of us who are regular customers of SRS would consider this quoted comment to be disappointing, and its implied negative criticism of SRS to be unfounded.

Philip

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo