K-x problem at 1/125th

jlaubza
Posted 21/04/2010 - 13:58 Link
The KX sensor shake problem is widespread - a recent poll on another site indicated that 34% users had the problem anywhere between 1/125 and 1/60 sec.

I thought batteries might be implicated but having tested freshly charged batteries, I still have the problem.

It is obviously more visible with a telephoto lens and is a damned nuisance as I either forget that I'm using 1/60 (my specific troublesome speed) or the camera selects 1/60 for my choice of aperture and ISO.

Pentax is in denial mode and my next camera will not be a Pentax - their ridiculous head in the sand attitude is shameful. I have a VPN problem on the K10 that ruins any low light image on that camera and now this bug (and don't get me started on the battery meter that reads empty well before the batteries are depleted).

Can't this company produce a 100% reliable product?
johnriley
Posted 21/04/2010 - 14:04 Link
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you have camera problems.

The fact is that nobody produces 100% reliable products, but some are better than others and Pentax are one of the better ones.

I don't know the failure rate of new cameras, but I do recall seeing the rate for video recorders during the first year and for some makes it was 35%+, which seems incredibly bad. I don't think cameras are anywhere near that figure.

However, yours have failed you so that's all little consolation. It needs pursuing and dealing with, first of all with your supplier if under warranty in the UK.

Hope things improve and it gets sorted quickly.
Best regards, John
leongu
Posted 02/05/2010 - 22:42 Link
Hi Mecrox
Just wondering if problem still exists on your K-x? You got me all paranoid so I started checking all shots taken at 1/125 and they do have a distinct blur. This is despite taking them shots with a new set of lithium batteries. I wonder if there's a quick fix to this since I'm reluctant to taking it back to the shop for repair.
Leon
K-x, K100D, DAL 18-55, DAL 50-200mm, Tamron 70-300Di, SMC M28/2.8
felix
Posted 03/05/2010 - 01:26 Link
jlaubza wrote:
The KX sensor shake problem is widespread - a recent poll on another site indicated that 34% users had the problem anywhere between 1/125 and 1/60 sec.

I thought batteries might be implicated but having tested freshly charged batteries, I still have the problem.

It is obviously more visible with a telephoto lens and is a damned nuisance as I either forget that I'm using 1/60 (my specific troublesome speed) or the camera selects 1/60 for my choice of aperture and ISO.

Pentax is in denial mode and my next camera will not be a Pentax - their ridiculous head in the sand attitude is shameful. I have a VPN problem on the K10 that ruins any low light image on that camera and now this bug (and don't get me started on the battery meter that reads empty well before the batteries are depleted).

Can't this company produce a 100% reliable product?
Have you upgraded the firmware?
K1/K3, DA*16-50mm F2.8, FA 31mm F1.8, FA43mm F1.9 Limited, FA77mm F1.8 Limited, SMC Pentax K 85mm F1.8, DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6, FA*28-70mm F1.8, FA*200mm F1.8
mecrox
Posted 03/05/2010 - 05:38 Link
I still have the problem but minimize it by turning off shake reduction unless it is essential and avoiding 125/th where possible. There is no quick fix that I've heard of, though, and updating firmware makes no difference. I'd guess the only solution is to replace some of the camera's circuitry. Good luck if you decide to send yours in for repair.
leongu
Posted 03/05/2010 - 10:46 Link
Cheers for the reply guys! It looks like a catch 22 then. And yes, I did upgrade my firmware from day 1.
Leon
K-x, K100D, DAL 18-55, DAL 50-200mm, Tamron 70-300Di, SMC M28/2.8
leongu
Posted 03/05/2010 - 22:38 Link
Got to replace my unit at Currys since it was still within the 28 day guarantee. First few shots at 125th looks promising (so far). Fingers crossed that problem's sorted!
Leon
K-x, K100D, DAL 18-55, DAL 50-200mm, Tamron 70-300Di, SMC M28/2.8

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo