K series craze

johnwhit

Link Posted 03/06/2013 - 16:07
So what gives with the current craze for K series lenses? Are we all expecting a FF DSLR? Or is it just the build quality?

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 03/06/2013 - 16:11
For me it's just that I can buy a lens with a level of image quality or speed which I couldn't really afford from the current DA line up. For instance the K135/2.5 costs vastly less, and is smaller, than the DA50-135mm. (There is no current prime lens equivalent, and even if there was it would still be expensive).
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

darkskies

Link Posted 03/06/2013 - 16:41
johnwhit wrote:
So what gives with the current craze for K series lenses? Are we all expecting a FF DSLR? Or is it just the build quality?

John

Have you tried one?
This space deliberately left blank.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 03/06/2013 - 17:32
I was thinking the same thing. There also seems to be a rash of 21mm ltds for sale.

K's are nice, but As & Ms are also FF compatible.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

helios

Link Posted 03/06/2013 - 18:00
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. There also seems to be a rash of 21mm ltds for sale.

I used to have a DA21 Ltd but found that it was only minimally faster than my DA17-70 and the IQ was not significantly better so apart from the size and weight advantage there was not a lot of incentive to use it. It certainly was my least used Limited lens.
Archie

pengbai

Link Posted 03/06/2013 - 20:06
John, is this for me? I just want to complete my k series collection

womble

Link Posted 03/06/2013 - 21:07
I've been fond of K series lenses for a while and have, errrm, a few from 15mm to 300mm. There is always one more I'd like though... for example the 200/2.5 (the 200/4 is a bit average) or the 30mm... I mainly use them on my film bodies though, largely because I hardly use my dSLR at the moment.

Why? Dunno really except that I like them, nice and solid feeling and excellent quality images.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnwhit

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 08:18
darkskies wrote:
johnwhit wrote:

John

Have you tried one?

Yes I have, lots of'em

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

johnwhit

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 08:20
pengbai wrote:
John, is this for me? I just want to complete my k series collection

Hi Peng, no not particularly, I'm just curious as to why they've become so poplur lately.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

darkskies

Link Posted 04/06/2013 - 09:27
johnwhit wrote:
darkskies wrote:
Quote:

John

Have you tried one?

Yes I have, lots of'em

John

Have you any for sale?

To be honest about this, I was really introduced to the Ks by Dr O. Since then, I have bought a K28/3.5 and a K55/1.8. The 2 of them cost me 125 euros between them. It's possible to pay more, but it's also possible to get them for less. I simply cannot afford the equivalent in modern day AF lenses, and the Ks are a good compromise if you don't mind manual focus. The image quality, as you must know, is really excellent, and so is the build quality. They are just so nice to use. I'd say that the 28 is my 2nd most used lens, after my DFA100 macro, but then, of course, they are used for completely different things.

I do miss a fast lens in the range 35 to 50, and I'll end up with an FA43, probably. But the Ks are just brilliant value.
This space deliberately left blank.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.