K-r betrayal

geordie01

Link Posted 21/11/2012 - 23:18
I have just got a K-30 and have been trying it out over the last week or so. But my K-r which i have had for the last 2 years and has been every where i have been virtually 24/7 and never let me down, is now in a bag in the corner of the room.I feel like the guy who owned Herby the love bug and got a shiney new model and dumped him.
Is it just me?

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 21/11/2012 - 23:39
So, the KR has been KO'd ? He'll get over it given time.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 06:02
Ah, consumerisation and the ever-onward upgrade path...

There are two ways out of the corner: sell it or use it.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Smeggypants

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 06:06
Pickle it in formaldehyde!!
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

DanielH

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 11:49
I have both but unfortunately I have been rather unsuccesfull at selling the K-r I see no point for me in keeping it (not because its not a good camera it is) if it sits in said corner. But I am not prepared to let it go for a ridiculously low price, so it will sit probably till next year

johnriley

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 11:56
eBay could be the answer. A well presented auction may find a buyer somewhere in the world. It is a slight risk that the end price will be too low, but it usually works out OK>

Do you not have a family member who would like to take it over?
Best regards, John

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 12:02
You could (and I imagine you won't) do something really very diferent...

Jonathan-Mac wrote:

There are two ways out of the corner: sell it or use it.

There's a 3rd way out of the corner for the K-r...

You could 'give' it to somebody... Somebody who will use it... Love it and make good use of it...

There are many struggling artists, photography students or just people who really 'need' something to do who's lives could be dramatically changed for the better with the gift of a digital SLR...

Someone you know or just a random kid browsing/drooling over used cameras in the window of a local store...

dannyh wrote:
I am not prepared to let it go for a ridiculously low price, so it will sit probably till next year

I agree... You should not let it go for a low price... Not when you could change a life with it... But leaving it to rot in a corner, to go mouldy... That's no life for a camera, and certainly not a Pentax...

Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

Blythman

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 12:07
Its always a good idea to have a spare body.

I've barely used my K-x since I bought a K-5. Did consider converting to IR but cost was a bit rich. So, I'll just keep it in case the K-5 ever has to go in for repair. There have also been the odd occassion when I've went out with two bodies (different lenses on each)

If the grand-daughter started taking an interest I would happily use that as an excuse to pass the K-x on and buy another K-5 or maybe a K-30 as back up
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Gwyn

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 12:24
DaveHolmes wrote:
You could (and I imagine you won't) do something really very diferent...

There's a 3rd way out of the corner for the K-r...

You could 'give' it to somebody... Somebody who will use it... Love it and make good use of it...

There are many struggling artists, photography students or just people who really 'need' something to do who's lives could be dramatically changed for the better with the gift of a digital SLR...

Someone you know or just a random kid browsing/drooling over used cameras in the window of a local store...

An excellent suggestion Dave. Certainly better than leaving it unused in a corner.

DanielH

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 12:26
Dave it's not going to go mouldy! I need the cash or rather my overdraft does!

John unfortuantely my Dad also a keen photog has a Canon but just maybe

DanielH

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 12:34
[quote:3496ace15f="DaveHolmes"]You could (and I imagine you won't) do something really very diferent...

BTW who is the "You" above? me or one of the other posters? and how do you know what I or someone else you've probably never met would or wouldn't do?

Just wondering......

Stuey

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 12:36
I kept my K10 and use the K5 and K10 alternatley - something I thought may be a chore but I am actually enjoying
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

petrochemist

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 13:29
dannyh wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="DaveHolmes"]You could (and I imagine you won't) do something really very diferent...

BTW who is the "You" above? me or one of the other posters? and how do you know what I or someone else you've probably never met would or wouldn't do?

Just wondering......

It seems to me the 'You' would apply to anyone in that situation (including me - My K100 is generally sitting idle, kept as a emergency spare/occasional IR body/Kids camera).

With regard to knowing what we'd do, Dave doesn't, which is why he included the word 'imagine'.

I wish I could afford to follow his advise, beyond just lending it to family members on a sunday walk. At least it does get some use.
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio

Gwyn

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 13:50
dannyh wrote:

Just wondering......

Maybe Dave should have used one rather than you if he meant it generally, but I think he was making a suggestion to Geordie01, just as others were.

Should I ever get a new camera (which is unlikely) would certainly consider that route for the K-5.
As it is My Ds went to my husband, and my K20D went to my Daughter-in-law, who is a keen photographer but couldn't afford a replacement when her third hand Nikon packed up.

johnriley

Link Posted 22/11/2012 - 13:59
One has to agree with you Gwyn, but think of the howls of mockery if we all start to talk like that!
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.