K-3ii flash

neil90

Link Posted 09/07/2018 - 20:41
I have recently bought a K-3ii.
I want a flash that will do second curtain and Ideally, work as master for other P-TTL flashes.
My GX-20 did second curtain with a Pentax AF240FT, the K-3ii does not.
I briefly used a K-m/r/x (can't remember which) with on camera second curtain, this worked with an old "multi-dedicated" flash in non Pentax mode (the camera did not know the flash was there). I think this worked on the K-100 as well, but that was a long time ago.
Has anyone found a work around for this?
A "master" flash is not critical, as I have triggers.
Is there a dodge I can use, or do I have to splash out on an FZ/FGZ? I would rather use the cash for some lenses!

derek897

Link Posted 09/07/2018 - 22:09
Dont know if there is anything here that will help,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/313074-rear-curt...

If not, our resident flash guru, Nigel should be able to help, if someone else doesnt beat him to it.
I know what i like, If not always why.

McGregNi

Link Posted 11/07/2018 - 00:28
No 2nd Curtain guru here, I hardly ever use the mode .... apart from tests carried out in response to forum questions that is!

2nd curtain with Pentax is a flash-based feature. This causes some confusion / annoyance when people previously have experienced a camera-based approach, which might allow 2nd curtain even with a basic manual flash. On Pentax DSLRs the 2nd Curtain flash mode relates only to a built-in flash, therefore the K3II doesn't have the mode. So, the simple answer is yes, you need a P-TTL system flash with 2nd curtain sync mode.

P-TTL wireless does not support 2nd curtain sync, so for off-camera work you could try using "dumb" optical triggering, using a flash with an "OS" or "S" slave mode that ignores the pre-flashes and waits for the main flash ..... this may or not work depending on how your flash is programmed to interpret pre-flashes and the delay.

Otherwise you could go for the new, more sophisticated way, and get the Cactus V6II and RF60x flash/es (X-TTL firmware version)..... these offer automatic 2nd Curtain Sync in both P-TTL and Manual flash modes.

Or, one more way, use a trigger with a delay setting and do the maths yourself. This will be a bit experimental, but the cheapest option.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 11/07/2018 - 00:32

neil90

Link Posted 11/07/2018 - 19:48
Thanks for the feedback.
The Cactus looks worth consideration.
I found that Metz do an upgrade download for my 48 AF-1 to make it compatible with the K-1. I have tried it and it seems to work on my K-3ii. Hopefully, this will be OK for my limited requirements.
Full marks to Metz for the support of a fairly old and superseded piece of kit. A shame Sigma do not do this with the 530.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.